Celebrity International Women's Day Power Up Presentation

GWNiemi

It was appropriate of Celebrity to honor International Women's Day and to trumpet its having made history by having the first American captain on one of its ships.

However,  I was on a transatlantic cruise on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas, a Celebrity sister ship, in September of 2008.  Our captain was a woman, one of whose parents was Danish and the other was Japanese.  She did an outstanding job.  I do not want to take anything away from Captain Kate but I think the Danish-Japanese captain should not be completely ignored, especially since she did her job without being surrounded  by a female support group.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GWNiemi said:

It was appropriate of Celebrity to honor International Women's Day and to trumpet its having made history by having the first American captain on one of its ships.

However,  I was on a transatlantic cruise on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas, a Celebrity sister ship, in September of 2008.  Our captain was a woman, one of whose parents was Danish and the other was Japanese.  She did an outstanding job.  I do not want to take anything away from Captain Kate but I think the Danish-Japanese captain should not be completely ignored, especially since she did her job without being surrounded  by a female support group.

I think this is a great thing. But, I'm not sure why Celebrity should make a big deal about another cruise lines captain. Also first are just that, first time. After that, its' just more.

56 minutes ago, GWNiemi said:

.  I do not want to take anything away from Captain Kate but I think the Danish-Japanese captain should not be completely ignored, especially since she did her job without being surrounded  by a female support group.

I think you missed the point. Celebrity has celebrated Capt. Kate as the first female American cruise ship Captain. They made no claim that she was the first female ship captain of any ship.

As for the comment about being surrounded by a female support group..... again you have completely missed the point. In an industry where women account for 2% of cruise ships officers, Celebrity now has 32% of their officers who are women. Hardly a female support group. They are just as qualified to do their various jobs as the men in the same positions are. 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

I think you missed the point. Celebrity has celebrated Capt. Kate as the first female American cruise ship Captain. They made no claim that she was the first female ship captain of any ship.

As for the comment about being surrounded by a female support group..... again you have completely missed the point. In an industry where women account for 2% of cruise ships officers, Celebrity now has 32% of their officers who are women. Hardly a female support group. They are just as qualified to do their various jobs as the men in the same positions are. 

You missed my point...completely.

7 hours ago, GWNiemi said:

do not want to take anything away from Captain Kate but I think the Danish-Japanese captain should not be completely ignored, especially since she did her job without being surrounded  by a female support group.

Maybe this ought to be addressed on Royal Caribbean board.

This is Celebritycruises board and PUP is a Celebrity Promotional / activity/quiz.

Celebrity had the first American female captain and did a power up presentation about it. Other lines may have had female Captains earlier, but Captain Kate was the first American. Not sure why that’s so hard for some people to grasp

Edited by cruisestitch