Venice Port changed to Ravenna for 2022 sailings

CC71

Anybody have any experience getting from the Ravenna train station to the ship?  I called AZ and they said no shuttles from there.  So they would give me a free ride from Venice, but can't help me get from the Ravenna train station?  Sheesh.

So they would give me a free ride from Venice, but can't help me get from the Ravenna train station?”

I agree that the train from Venice to Ravenna would be nice, but as there are 20+ per day, it could become a logistical nightmare for Azamara with, potentially, arrivals every half hour.

Melissa

@radarcruiser you wrote :

"I called AZ and they said no shuttles from there.  So they would give me a free ride from Venice, but can't help me get from the Ravenna train station?"

Azamara is providing transport between Venice and Ravenna, quite a considerable distance due to the change of port.

Would you have expected to be picked up from the airport in Venice had the port not been changed?

Azamara does not provide transport from airports, unless the cruiser has also booked Choice Air.

So, I think it is not reasonable to expect to be picked up from the train station in Ravenna.

We are all entitled to our own opinions and the above is mine.

• Like 3

HI.

I finally made it to the bus, and will try to provide info about the bus transfer.

The departure is right next to the people mover, and just a 2 min walk from the waterbus stop 

"Tronchetto Mercato" which line number two is sailing to from the city centre.

We arrived just on time 12pm, and was in a rush, and ran from the waterbus stop, since our understanding was the bus would depart at 12pm, but to my surprise the bus first arrived at 12pm, and after that peoples luggage was placed in the cargo hold. The departure was around 12.22 and, the people from the bus charter company was very relaxed and kind. 

They handed out water (varm) and a small foccacia bread.

The bus is totally fine, and just like a normal tourist bus like flixbux, greyhound etc, and the AC is also working. 

No toilet on the bus, but if you have to go during the two hour transfer, they will make a short stop for you. 

Please feel free to ask, if you have any questions regarding the bus transfer. 

Skærmbillede 2022-05-21 kl. 13.00.27.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just boarded Onward at Ravenna having spent two enjoyable days in Bologna. There is a train service every hour from Bologna Centrale Station to Ravenna for 8 euros. We had expected to use a taxi to get from Ravenna Station to the port but was very pleasantly surprised to find a shuttle service provided by Azamara. I had not received any communication advising that a shuttle service would be available. All in all a very easy journey. 

Edited by bringmesunshine
  • Like 3

For those who might feel that Azamara has got the short end of the stick docking in Ravenna instead of one of the industrial ports nearer to Venice, I saw this today from someone cruising on another line:

“We docked […] between a camp site and a chemical facility. You can only get into Venice on a ship tour and you have to return on a ship tour bus. Not even taxis are allowed into this very busy industrial port area. The bus from the ship takes 50 minutes to the old, huge, but deserted cruise terminal where all security clearance etc. takes place. Returning is the same. Get to the old terminal then clear security and onto a bus for another 50 minute ride to the ship. It's now the second day here and early this morning the ship moved about a mile further in, to the container area, later today we will move back. Currently we are close to the Fincantieri cruise ship yard with 2 huge new builds being fitted out. Your options of visiting Venice on your own are now quite limited. If you really want to see Venice I would recommend doing it as a pre or post, not passing through in the middle of a cruise.”

I think Ravenna is a slightly more civilised alternative at present, although a long and time-consuming distance from Venice. Ravenna is a great destination on its own, though, within fairly easy reach of Modena, San Marino or even Bologna. I agree with this person’s advice that a pre- or post- cruise stay is a good plan for seeing more of Venice.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bringmesunshine said:

Just boarded Onward at Ravenna having spent two enjoyable days in Bologna. There is a train service every hour from Bologna Centrale Station to Ravenna for 8 euros. We had expected to use a taxi to get from Ravenna Station to the port but was very pleasantly surprised to find a shuttle service provided by Azamara. I had not received any communication advising that a shuttle service would be available. All in all a very easy journey. 

Glad to hear this.  What I can’t understand is why Azamara Customer Service doesn’t know about it.  

What are the possibilities for disembarking passengers in Ravenna?

We are not eligible for Complimentary Azamara transport to Venice or Marco Polo, but are planning on getting from the ship to Ravenna railway station. Are there any transport by Azamara for disembarking passengers into the station or do we rely on taxis?

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2022 at 7:03 AM, sgadk87 said:

HI.

I finally made it to the bus, and will try to provide info about the bus transfer.

The departure is right next to the people mover, and just a 2 min walk from the waterbus stop 

"Tronchetto Mercato" which line number two is sailing to from the city centre.

We arrived just on time 12pm, and was in a rush, and ran from the waterbus stop, since our understanding was the bus would depart at 12pm, but to my surprise the bus first arrived at 12pm, and after that peoples luggage was placed in the cargo hold. The departure was around 12.22 and, the people from the bus charter company was very relaxed and kind. 

They handed out water (varm) and a small foccacia bread.

The bus is totally fine, and just like a normal tourist bus like flixbux, greyhound etc, and the AC is also working. 

No toilet on the bus, but if you have to go during the two hour transfer, they will make a short stop for you. 

Please feel free to ask, if you have any questions regarding the bus transfer. 

Skærmbillede 2022-05-21 kl. 13.00.27.png

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the information and map I was sent seems to indicate that we will be meeting at the Piazzale Roma instead of the Tronchetto stop.  I guess we'll find out when we get there! 

image.thumb.png.a39c04180640cc629473971c8dd5b1d4.png

On 7/7/2022 at 12:39 AM, CoG72crewz said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the information and map I was sent seems to indicate that we will be meeting at the Piazzale Roma instead of the Tronchetto stop.  I guess we'll find out when we get there! 

image.thumb.png.a39c04180640cc629473971c8dd5b1d4.png

Well it looks like it says Tronchetto?

It is Piazzale Roma on the pic. The mark is set at the stop of People Mover.

People Mover also has stops at Tronchetto and Statione Maritima, the Venice Cruise Port, that is not open now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sgadk87 said:

Well it looks like it says Tronchetto?

Confusing - it definitely says ”Transfer Pick Up Location  Tronchetto,  People Mover Final Stop”  but then says the address is Piazzale Roma. May be worth forwarding these instructions to Azamara Circle & explaining that it is confusing, could they please help you to determine which end of the people mover is the pickup point. The other thing you could do is message TrumpyTours via the contact page on their website  https://www.trumpytours.it/contact/

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Confusing - it definitely says ”Transfer Pick Up Location  Tronchetto,  People Mover Final Stop”  but then says the address is Piazzale Roma. May be worth forwarding these instructions to Azamara Circle & explaining that it is confusing, could they please help you to determine which end of the people mover is the pickup point. The other thing you could do is message TrumpyTours via the contact page on their website  https://www.trumpytours.it/contact/

If the drop-off is at the People Mover station on Piazzale Roma it makes more sense. No reason to transport people over to Tronchetto just for them to make their way back. 

• Like 2