Japan, Sept 2022

gwesq

16 hours ago, FauxNom said:

I agree: too tight! But here's a blogger who says 1 hour is enough in Seattle 

https://www.sanspotter.com/is-1-hour-layover-enough-time-in-seattle/#:~:text=The good news is that,re making an international connection.  However, he doesn't address the international to international connection, which is likely more complicated than just staying airside and avoiding security. This page from the airport goes into great detail:

https://www.portseattle.org/services-amenities/international-arrivals-and-passport-control

From the airport itself.

When scheduling connections from an international flight we recommend that you schedule at least 3 hours between arriving and your next flight to have enough time for processing and to prevent missed connections for your next boarding times.

Mine is reverse (or I'll be international going forward), but the principle is identical.

14 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

A 1 hour connection going thru customs is unrealistic under normal circumstances, but add to it the shortage of workers worldwide, its only going to add to the extra work SilverAir will have to do to book you on another flight if you missed it due to a short connection time.  I've often wondered if these short connection flights are cheaper for Silversea.  Not sure...

Cost is a huge factor and a degree of laziness I suspect. In the long run, it will mean more work. My old boss used to have in his email signature something along the lines of "Planning - do it once, do it right", which is a mantra they should adopt.

My TA spoke with me finally on Friday, so she has a clear understanding of what's to be avoided. She said they were unable to call and communication was done via email. That I would suggest is the cause of issues like this. Instead of asking / confirming. Flights are booked and "hope for the best".

I requested a change on the sailing prior to this one for March which was a booking made direct and that took about a week to be done and was via email also. I'm guessing procedure has changed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 2:58 PM, BaileyMJ said:

Still no email from SS regarding my canceled cruise so I call my SS consultant who booked the cruise - he sounded like he knew nothing about the cancellation and reached out to his manager who said they are still in the process of sending out cancellation emails - he said my booking would still appear in My Silverseas until the company cancels it.  He was also very quick to offer a FCC but I said absolutely No and will wait for my letter.  I tried finding a similar cruise but as others have posted yes but at a much higher price and maybe not till 2025.

What was the outcome? Did you finally get your cancellation email? What was the wording? Did you get offered any future sailings you could slot into or just as you anticipated with refund offer or FCC @ 115%. 

23 hours ago, les37b said:

What was the outcome? Did you finally get your cancellation email? What was the wording? Did you get offered any future sailings you could slot into or just as you anticipated with refund offer or FCC @ 115%. 

No still no email from SS on cancellation but I did call my Silverseas Consultant and he said he would request the 15% on a another SS cruise so may use - the FCC not worth it for me.  It’s crazy my Silverseas Journey still has my Singapore cruise countdown active!  

13 hours ago, BaileyMJ said:

No still no email from SS on cancellation but I did call my Silverseas Consultant and he said he would request the 15% on a another SS cruise so may use - the FCC not worth it for me.  It’s crazy my Silverseas Journey still has my Singapore cruise countdown active!  

Not good enough really is it.

There has been more than enough time to get something sent out and it's not being unreasonable to expect it to be done promptly. 

I just had some good news from a Japanese friend off on a cruise at the start of September. He's said that Japan is removing many restrictions and an announcement will be imminent. He believes he won't need a PCR to return home and that tourism will be allowed to return to Japan shortly (from 7 September), so I live in hope might may well sail next April. 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

I just got an update. Can't see anything on the internet yet, but he was spot on with the details previously including the date PCR tests would not be required for entry.. He also said there would be an announcement shortly the tourist daily numbers will be increased from 20,000 to 50,000 people.  That's now just happened apparently.

This is what he's just said...

The Japanese prime minister just now announced,all the foreign tourists,including individuals, can visit Japan from 07th.Sep. PCR test is not required after 3 Boosters.

The daily numbers are 50000,but it will be released to the same level of G7 countries in the near future.

So, I am sure,you will be OK!!

Sounds more promising now! (As long as we remain in the G7! lol)

And even though one does not have to travel with a group all hotels and internal air have to be booked through an appointed travel agency in Japan.  Not possible if you use hotel points and airline points to book through a travel agency.  I received the update from my friend in Japan

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

…all hotels and internal air have to be booked through an appointed travel agency in Japan.

Really?  I booked the Four Seasons Tokyo months ago for independent travel this coming spring, no problem. And, flying Singapore Air, booked on points too.

12 hours ago, les37b said:

I just got an update. Can't see anything on the internet yet, but he was spot on with the details previously including the date PCR tests would not be required for entry.. He also said there would be an announcement shortly the tourist daily numbers will be increased from 20,000 to 50,000 people.  That's now just happened apparently.

This is what he's just said...

The Japanese prime minister just now announced,all the foreign tourists,including individuals, can visit Japan from 07th.Sep. PCR test is not required after 3 Boosters.

The daily numbers are 50000,but it will be released to the same level of G7 countries in the near future.

So, I am sure,you will be OK!!

Sounds more promising now! (As long as we remain in the G7! lol)

Just to clarify. The comment he made on G7 was simply the Japan will fall into line with other countries and not remain "backwards" (his term, not mine) going forward.