Cozumel Beach from Cruise Port

Alan & Lin

I know we are not at the downtown port, is there any area to actually get in the water within walking distance of the port?  We will be on a Carnival ship, sorry can't think of the name of the Cozumel port....

1 hour ago, Alan & Lin said:

I know we are not at the downtown port, is there any area to actually get in the water within walking distance of the port?  We will be on a Carnival ship, sorry can't think of the name of the Cozumel port....

Are you at Puerta Maya? 

There isn’t any where with a sandy beach within walking distance other than small beaches if you do day pass to El Cid or Park Royal.

There are several places if you want rocky area for snorkeling.

If you give some idea of ages and facilities you require we can make better suggestions.

Edited by c-leg5

Yes Puerta Maya.  We actually spent a week at El Cid's when the cruises were stopped due to covid.  Neither one of us are drinkers and not looking to venture far.  Taking this cruise to relax and eat!  Both of us are in our 50's, I just hate to not get in the water somewhere!!  We did enjoy the snorkeling at El Cid's when we stayed there.

Not as worried about a sandy beach, snorkeling area will work!

Thanks

2 hours ago, Alan & Lin said:

Yes Puerta Maya.  We actually spent a week at El Cid's when the cruises were stopped due to covid.  Neither one of us are drinkers and not looking to venture far.  Taking this cruise to relax and eat!  Both of us are in our 50's, I just hate to not get in the water somewhere!!  We did enjoy the snorkeling at El Cid's when we stayed there.

Not as worried about a sandy beach, snorkeling area will work!

Thanks

If you are familiar with ElCid you will know that most of that area is rocky. They used to offer two day pass rates, not sure what they are offering presently.

Park Royal has a slightly larger, nicer beach area and several pools. The day pass sill be more expensive but I don’t know what the current rate is if they have restarted after pandemic. We have enjoyed day passes their previously but we did a land stay tgere when cruising stopped and I definitely thought they were struggling with staff and quality. Hopefully that has improved again.

our personal favorite to relax at the moment when we want somewhere budget friendly, close to port is the beach club at Del Mar Latino. It has an AI promotional rate at the moment of $29pp -alcoholic/non-alcoholic and snacks, loungers small pool and rocky snorkeling. We have been many times since it opened about 3 years ago. It used to be very quiet but is certainly gaining popularity. I need to stop recommending!

Other options further towards town include Tikila, Sunset, Carlotta. You will find all these places on TA.

• Like 1

Based on c-leg5s' recommendations, we have done both El Cid and Del Mar Latino.  El Cid was offering the day passes back in January and we did the AI at Del Mar Latino in March.  Overall, we liked El Cid a little better - there was more room, more sand, and seemed better kept.  Part of that might have been that Del Mar Latino was much busier the day we went.  I will say that we liked that it's adults only and the AI is a great deal; drinks weren't strong, but we just kept ordering more.  🙂

Edited by Cuckoo7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cuckoo7 said:

Based on c-leg5s' recommendations, we have done both El Cid and Del Mar Latino.  El Cid was offering the day passes back in January and we did the AI at Del Mar Latino in March.  Overall, we liked El Cid a little better - there was more room, more sand, and seemed better kept.  Part of that might have been that Del Mar Latino was much busier the day we went.  I will say that we liked that it's adults only and the AI is a great deal; drinks weren't strong, but we just kept ordering more.  🙂

I think I remember you asking for suggestions before your sailings but I thought you had a 14-year old with you and had discounted Del Mar? Glad you got to try both and were able to give a recent comparison.

It has been several years since we went to El Cid but agree it is definitely bigger and attracts a lot of crew, once they are able to leave their ships. It has a sandy “cove” as well as man-made sandy “areas” for loungers. I know they used to offer different passes . Their AI always seemed overpriced compared to what you could get at Park Royal but I don’t know what current prices are at both places. We have only done PAYG at El Cid (where you can’t use any facilities) and the “cheaper” cover charge that was mostly credited back towards food and drink and allowed pool and wi-fi. They tried to make us take the buffet when we had that pass, which didn’t look very good, but we managed to order off the menu instead. We were disappointed in standards at Park Royal last June so wouldn’t return there at the moment. 

I think it goes without saying that drinks at most AI are not strong although we tend to stick to beer and water, some rum based drinks but never tequila! We also were at DelMar in March. AsI said it is definitely getting busier but of course that was Spring Break period. Not sure what you thought wasn’t maintained? The pool and restrooms have always been fine when we have been there although we were surprised, and not too happy, about the number of people with beer and glasses round the pool this last time. The food at Del Mar was better and more choices when we first started going but they have had to reduce , presumably due to reduced entrance fee and present economic times. The food is still good and we have always had plenty to eat and drink, and good service. Hopefully the original menu will return if the price increases.

We also tried Sunset Beach another day in March for a change,  but were not impressed with that. Each time we have passed El Cid recently they have tried to coax us in so we may give it another try this month.

Edited by c-leg5

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I think I remember you asking for suggestions before your sailings but I thought you had a 14-year old with you and had discounted Del Mar? Glad you got to try both and were able to give a recent comparison.

It has been several years since we went to El Cid but agree it is definitely bigger and attracts a lot of crew, once they are able to leave their ships. It has a sandy “cove” as well as man-made sandy “areas” for loungers. I know they used to offer different passes . Their AI always seemed overpriced compared to what you could get at Park Royal but I don’t know what current prices are at both places. We have only done PAYG at El Cid (where you can’t use any facilities) and the “cheaper” cover charge that was mostly credited back towards food and drink and allowed pool and wi-fi. They tried to make us take the buffet when we had that pass, which didn’t look very good, but we managed to order off the menu instead. We were disappointed in standards at Park Royal last June so wouldn’t return there at the moment. 

I think it goes without saying that drinks at most AI are not strong although we tend to stick to beer and water, some rum based drinks but never tequila! We also were at DelMar in March. AsI said it is definitely getting busier but of course that was Spring Break period. Not sure what you thought wasn’t maintained? The pool and restrooms have always been fine when we have been there although we were surprised, and not too happy, about the number of people with beer and glasses round the pool this last time. The food at Del Mar was better and more choices when we first started going but they have had to reduce , presumably due to reduced entrance fee and present economic times. The food is still good and we have always had plenty to eat and drink, and good service. Hopefully the original menu will return if the price increases.

We also tried Sunset Beach another day in March for a change,  but were not impressed with that. Each time we have passed El Cid recently they have tried to coax us in so we may give it another try this month.

Yep, we had the 14 year old in January, so we went to El Cid.  It was just the wife and I in March, so we did Del Mar - also during the spring break period, so maybe we crossed paths.  I didn't mean to imply that Del Mar wasn't maintained.  It was just little things, like the sand seemed cleaner/softer at El Cid.  As you note, pool and restrooms were good. 

We didn't eat until the very end; it was good but very small portions, so we promptly ordered another - like the weak drinks, probably not a surprise at AI.  Great service all around.  Overall, we thought it was a heck of a bargain.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cuckoo7 said:

We didn't eat until the very end; it was good but very small portions, so we promptly ordered another - like the weak drinks, probably not a surprise at AI. 

Agree the portions are small and may have caught you unawares for your first time.

I suppose we have been so many times we know the system and tend to “graze” throughout the day. They are more like “snack/appetizer” portions and can take a while to come, presumably from the kitchen in the hotel across the road.

On our last visit there was a Carnival ship with late docking hours (well actually it had two attempts at docking which made it even later). I felt sorry for those people arriving since the kitchen closes I believe at 4. The waiters certainly notify you in advance but those cruisers certainly wouldn’t have got a very long “day”.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:16 PM, c-leg5 said:

Part of the reason the drinks don't seem strong is whatever mixer they are using is made from pure cane sugar.  We thought the drinks at the Melia were watered down until we had a shot poured out of the same bottle ( we know it was the same bottle because it never left the bar top).  The shot was definitely NOT watered down it was the sugar in the mixer making us think it was watered down 

15 minutes ago, nascarcruiser said:

Part of the reason the drinks don't seem strong is whatever mixer they are using is made from pure cane sugar.  We thought the drinks at the Melia were watered down until we had a shot poured out of the same bottle ( we know it was the same bottle because it never left the bar top).  The shot was definitely NOT watered down it was the sugar in the mixer making us think it was watered down 

You may well be correct.

I wasn’t particularly passing comment one way or the other about strength at Del Mar, more the general preconception towards AI’s. As I said I mostly stick to beer and water during the day and you can’t do much to them!  I have had rum punch at Del Mar and some daiquiris. I am of an age where I don’t do shots and certainly not tequila.

However I will say my usual evening drinks (gin and tonic/rum and Diet Coke) at Park Royal AI land vacation last summer were plain nasty and it had nothing to do with strength or mixer with the result that I drank a lot of Xtabentún on ice that week!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 2:14 PM, Cuckoo7 said:

Did you purchase your day pass ahead of time for El Cid, or were you able to buy it the day you arrived?

23 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Did you purchase your day pass ahead of time for El Cid, or were you able to buy it the day you arrived?

We called shortly before sailing to confirm that they were offering it, but we didn't pay until we got to the hotel.  If I remember right, she said they didn't do reservations for the day pass and that if the people outside tried to tell us they only did all inclusive, just to come inside and talk to the front desk.  They give you wrist bands and wifi passwords when you pay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cuckoo7 said:

We called shortly before sailing to confirm that they were offering it, but we didn't pay until we got to the hotel.  If I remember right, she said they didn't do reservations for the day pass and that if the people outside tried to tell us they only did all inclusive, just to come inside and talk to the front desk.  They give you wrist bands and wifi passwords when you pay.

Thanks! The all-inclusive isn't that appealing to us, as none of us drink alcohol. Do you remember how much was the day pass?

11 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Thanks! The all-inclusive isn't that appealing to us, as none of us drink alcohol. Do you remember how much was the day pass?

Recent price details in this thread.

we have also done PAYG in the past but you don’t get pool or wifi with that. We have wifi from our carrier so that isn’t in important. It would depend on the weather whether i wanted the pool. 

Edited by c-leg5

25 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Recent price details in this thread.

we have also done PAYG in the past but you don’t get pool or wifi with that. We have wifi from our carrier so that isn’t in important. It would depend on the weather whether i wanted the pool. 

Thanks again! We are still debating whether we want to just stay on the ship, as we have Coco Cay the next day, with an over the water cabana, so counting on that being our awesome beach day of the cruise. But the day pass sounds like a nice option where we wouldn't feel like we had to stay longer. 

18 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Yes, as shown in the link posted above, it was $25 per person.  I think the drink/beverage credit was $12 for us, rather than $13, and we got use of the facilities, pool, wifi and 60 minutes of snorkel gear.  We really enjoyed it and plan to return in June. 

Edited by Cuckoo7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cuckoo7 said:

Yes, as shown in the link posted above, it was $25 per person.  I think the drink/beverage credit was $12 for us, rather than $13, and we got use of the facilities, pool, wifi and 60 minutes of snorkel gear.  We really enjoyed it and plan to return in June. 

Were you able to order off the menu at ElCid or did they try to steer you towards the buffet (or maybe they don’t have a buffet anymore, post Covid)?

Do you happen to have a photo of food and beverage  menus?

Do you think you could still just do PAYG, if you don’t want the pool? $13pp just to use the wifi seems like a lot.

Edited by c-leg5

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Were you able to order off the menu at ElCid or did they try to steer you towards the buffet (or maybe they don’t have a buffet anymore, post Covid)?

Do you happen to have a photo of food and beverage  menus?

Do you think you could still just do PAYG, if you don’t want the pool? $13pp just to use the wifi seems like a lot.

We didn't specifically ask for PAYG, but she didn't mention it as an option.  She just said $25 for the "use of the facilities" and that it included wifi and the snorkel gear.  They didn't mention anything to us about a buffet either, and I didn't see one.  We just ordered off the menu.  I scrolled through my pictures and can't find a food one, but here's the drink one.  Shows where our heads were...  🙂

image.thumb.png.8ac276bd3977802c9b0facc74bcecce3.png

11 minutes ago, Cuckoo7 said:

We didn't specifically ask for PAYG, but she didn't mention it as an option.  She just said $25 for the "use of the facilities" and that it included wifi and the snorkel gear.  They didn't mention anything to us about a buffet either, and I didn't see one.  We just ordered off the menu.  I scrolled through my pictures and can't find a food one, but here's the drink one.  Shows where our heads were...  🙂

image.thumb.png.8ac276bd3977802c9b0facc74bcecce3.png

Thanks that will work!