Amalfi Coast tours from Salerno port

okiedrifters

Although there will be some, I don't know of any Amalfi Coast "tours" from Salerno,.

But that's effectively what you get with the ferries.

There are fast ferries & slow ferries, village-to-village ferries and more-direct ferries, ferries that go as far as Amalfi, and ferries that go as far as the Isle of Capri. I think all are for foot-passengers only

Capri is amazing, but it's about 90 minutes one-way.

I suggest that you go at least as far as Positano - it's a fairly vertical village, with the road down from the coastal highway steep & traffic-clogged an parking in the village pretty impossible, so arrival & departure by ferry is the way to go.

It'd be good to also get a prospective from up high. Perhaps a bus from Amalfi up to Ravello for stunning views.

The coastal highway climbs higher and the panoramic views more spectacular west of Amalfi, but the road is narrow & tortuous and traffic frequently snarled-up. But if you chose to catch a bus back to Salerno from Amalfi the scenery and views are still pretty special and the traffic moves at a more-acceptable pace.

Finding the ferries' websites is difficult because of all the ticketing agencies' websites.

Google "Ferries Salerno to Amalfi" and "ferries Salerno to Amalfi" and browse thro them

Here are a couple I came across 

https://www.travelmar.it/en/index

https://www.alicost.it/en/aliscafi-salerno-capri-salerno/

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Although there will be some, I don't know of any Amalfi Coast "tours" from Salerno,.

There are fast ferries & slow ferries, village-to-village ferries and more-direct ferries, ferries that go as far as Amalfi, and ferries that go as far as the Isle of Capri. I think all are for foot-passengers only

I suggest that you go at least as far as Positano - it's a fairly vertical village, with the road down from the coastal highway steep & traffic-clogged an parking in the village pretty impossible, so arrival & departure by ferry is the way to go.

It'd be good to also get a prospective from up high. Perhaps a bus from Amalfi up to Ravello for stunning views.

The coastal highway climbs higher and the panoramic views more spectacular west of Amalfi, but the road is narrow & tortuous and traffic frequently snarled-up. But if you chose to catch a bus back to Salerno from Amalfi the scenery and views are still pretty special and the traffic moves at a more-acceptable pace.

Finding the ferries' websites is difficult because of all the ticketing agencies' websites.

Google "Ferries Salerno to Amalfi" and "ferries Salerno to Amalfi" and browse thro them

JB 🙂

Thank you John! 

We once took the ferry from Salerno to Amalfi and the bus back to Salerno. But at least back then the cruise port was pretty far away from the ferry dock. We took a local bus to get there (and back to the ship). In the meantime they opened up a new cruise port which is closer to the city center of Salerno. It´s still a bit of a walk.

steamboats

It all depends on what ferry you take (the Capri one is closer to the cruise dock)  for how long you have to walk, but the ferries are a great way to get around the coast from Salerno! And a tip that I try to abide by, if you can, take the earliest bus to Ravello.  The rush for the buses is INSANE, but if you get there before the day trippers realize what they wanna do that day, you can go and enjoy and then be back down the mountain ready to take the way less stressful ferry ride to your next destination.  The ferries are frequent (when they start, if you are earlier than that, the buses start before them) so you could stop in Amalfi and then move onto Positano when you are ready and then take the ferry back to Salerno.  Research what you are looking for in the towns and piece together a plan.  For Amalfi and Positano, TravelMar is the one I normally do, but that is from the tourist port, in the middle of the city, probably 2 or less miles from the cruise port. 

It's one and a half miles on foot, along the waterfront promenade, from the cruise port at Molo Manfredi in Salerno to the TravelMar ferry port at Concordia.  There are local buses but by the time you find a place to buy a ticket and wait for the bus, most people can walk there faster.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:54 PM, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

Thanks John! 

• 4 weeks later...

@okiedrifters I am trying to decide between a tour with Blu Mediterraneo that is an ocean/coastal tour with snorkeling and stops in Positano and Amalfi, and a land only of Positano/Amalfi/Ravello with Joe Banana. Huge price difference, but I think my daughter (24) will like the water more. 

Have you made any decision? I never use tours on my own, but I'm not up for all the planning and logistics. This daughter is not the one who is great at making plans. She tends to look at pictures and make decisions. 🙄

Anyone else have input? We are not interested in the volcano, btw. 

11 minutes ago, MrsKMB said:

@okiedrifters I am trying to decide between a tour with Blu Mediterraneo that is an ocean/coastal tour with snorkeling and stops in Positano and Amalfi, and a land only of Positano/Amalfi/Ravello with Joe Banana. Huge price difference, but I think my daughter (24) will like the water more. 

Have you made any decision? I never use tours on my own, but I'm not up for all the planning and logistics. This daughter is not the one who is great at making plans. She tends to look at pictures and make decisions. 🙄

Anyone else have input? We are not interested in the volcano, btw. 

Hi MrsKMB!  We ( my daughter in law and 2 teen granddaughters) are looking at going on the ferry’s  a suggestion by John Bull. We will buy tickets from the actual ferry websites, and NOT 3rd party. We have researched a LOT and it’s very doable and the ferries run off and on daily.

I hear great things about Joe Banana but we are passing on a tour here as we leaning towards doing our own thing at this port. I am sure which ever you tour decide on, you will have a great day!

Completed our check in and now counting the days! 

• Like 1

Thank you for the fast reply! I haven't booked anything yet. I'll check the ferries and then decide. I just want to do it all! 😂

Getting excited for this adventure!

Kristen