Victoria late arrival

We are scheduled to arrive at 5:30 pm on Celebrity Solstice, Aug. 18, 2022.  Departure is midnight.   Any suggestions for  old timers spending  a few hours near the harbor?  We definitely will be getting off the ship for a short while!  Thanks

2 hours ago, doublej said:

We are scheduled to arrive at 5:30 pm on Celebrity Solstice, Aug. 18, 2022.  Departure is midnight.   Any suggestions for  old timers spending  a few hours near the harbor?  We definitely will be getting off the ship for a short while!  Thanks

Head up to the town for some refreshments - Sticky Wicket, Swans, Bard & Banker and Irish Times are some of my favourites.

We had pretty much the same timing. I took one look at the dock, which seemed to be about 2 miles long, and decided that my last night would be better spent on the ship. Now, it is true that I had visited Victoria several times in the past so it was not as interesting to me. The stop is there only to meet the shipping requirements of stopping in a foreign port. It is too bad as Victoria is a lovely place with many things to do- but the timing is terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 10:20 PM, Heidi13 said:

Head up to the town for some refreshments - Sticky Wicket, Swans, Bard & Banker and Irish Times are some of my favourites.

We’re coming in June on the Carnival Spirit, can you tell me about how far of a walk it is to the town area your talking about? Thanks a bunch 

6 minutes ago, PlanningToCruise said:

We’re coming in June on the Carnival Spirit, can you tell me about how far of a walk it is to the town area your talking about? Thanks a bunch 

It would take about half an hour to walk it.  Probably much longer on the return trip!

Edited by d9704011

2 hours ago, PlanningToCruise said:

The most direct route via Oswego Street through James Bay will take you 25 to 30 minutes once you exit the Ogden Point parking area. However, the more scenic route by the Coast Guard base and along the waterfront path is 35 - 40 mins to the closest pub.

To reach Swans, add another 5 - 10 mins

On 4/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, PlanningToCruise said:

It is 2.5 km from the port to the causeway in front of the Empress hotel. Or you could walk 1 km to fisherman's wharf and take a harbour ferry to the causeway in front of the Empress Hotel.

I'll add "The Tapas Bar" in Trounce Alley for a few drinks and a decent nosh. Belleville's has indoor and outdoor seating and is another good place to get a drink and a meal.

46 minutes ago, doublej said:

Is there a tram or shuttle for passengers to use?

There will be shuttles available but I don't know what the price might be. I suspect that if you get a few people together a cab is your best bet and they don't have to use the inconvenient new bus route the city has imposed.

There are no trams in Victoria.

You may also be able to book a horse drawn carriage to meet the ship. You would have to contact the carriage companies directly for details.

• 2 weeks later...