Are cruise lines & corporations doing enough for the environment????

RICHARD@SEA

after many years of onboard ships & the need for more green mandates...do you believe the lines are doing their best to help the environment???  I don't see these new  mega ships doing much in the lessening of reef destruction, plastic lessening, etc.

During a 2 week cruise pre covid we sailed through a large patch of floating plastics in the sea - it was HUGE...I had read about these but never saw it...I was shocked...

Any suggestions or thoughts???

I haven't been on a ship since before covid, but I do feel the waste is obnoxious!  I always bring my own coffee cup to take to get my morning coffee, and my reusable straw for drink.  And I always encourage my group to do the same.  I do love that there are mainly cloth napkins, and regular cups in the buffet and such, but there are so many people that just don't care and I do feel it gets out of hand.  Now, after covid, I fear that it'll be worse because of contamination. 

• 3 weeks later...

While it is legal to dump organic food products into the ocean, Carnival now 'digests' the materials, breaking it down into a sort of mush before releasing it.  I guess it makes it available to more organisims to feed from.  I think that's a good thing.

• 3 months later...

The industry has come a long long way and continue to do so. But let's face it. The reality is there's nothing particularly environmentally sound about a gasoline or LNG powered ship traveling the seas for no purpose other than fun. 

• Like 1