Tips for Alaska & Zuiderdam

DLaForce

We are long time cruisers on many different lines but this is our first time both on HA and in Alaska. Just wondering if there are any tips or ideas the group could share with us. We are on the July 27th Inner Passage itinerary and super excited.

2 hours ago, DLaForce said:

We are long time cruisers on many different lines but this is our first time both on HA and in Alaska. Just wondering if there are any tips or ideas the group could share with us. We are on the July 27th Inner Passage itinerary and super excited.

Aerial Excursions often sell out and are often canceled due to weather.   If you really want to do one, consider booking one in a backup port that you could cancel without penalty if your first choice happens. 

Don't miss the pea soup that should be served at some point during  your cruise on the open decks.   

It won't get dark until 10 pm - you have a couple of late departures where you will still have plenty of natural light. 

Looking for something off the beaten path - Tour the Alaska State Capitol Building

https://www.alaska.org/detail/alaska-state-capitol-building

Mt Roberts Tramway - weather permitting

Self guided walking tour in Ketchican

Check out changes to the White Pass railway excursion before you book - I heard its changed and not for the better.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

2 hours ago, DLaForce said:

And check the Roll Call section to see if there is a Roll Call for your cruise. It is a great way to get & share ideas. And sometimes even join fellow cruisers on excursions. I made some long time friends through my roll call.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/236-zuiderdam-roll-calls/

There are 4 posts in the 6/1 sailing's Roll Call.  I didn't post in the 6/8 but I think there might be 7 posts.  I was hoping for lots of great information since this will be my first trip to Alaska.

I've started doing some research on the Alaska board.  Trying to find an independent tour for Juneau whale watching and glacier.  I'm not a fan of ship excursions anyway, and the price for this tour through HAL seem very high.

4 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I've started doing some research on the Alaska board.  Trying to find an independent tour for Juneau whale watching and glacier.  I'm not a fan of ship excursions anyway, and the price for this tour through HAL seem very high.

Harv and Marv Whale Watching in Juneau.  Several great trips with them.

Edited by quack2