How did HAL transfer passengers from “Venice” to Trieste last summer?

pschweig

I remember threads last summer discussing passengers’ experiences being bussed by HAL to Trieste after Venice closed to cruise ships. Could someone provide a link to these threads? I have not been able to locate them in my searches. I am looking for information describing how HAL handled embarkation and disembarkation procedures when the port was changed from Venice to Trieste. 

As far as I know, last summer's HAL cruises from Venice used the nearby industrial port of Maghera, not far away Trieste.  You embarked in the normal Venice cruise terminal on the island and they bused you to Maghera.  When you disembarked, I believe they would bus you to either the airport or the cruise terminal on the island.

Since HAL changed the summer 2023 cruises to Trieste a long time ago but left the 2022 cruises as Venice, I am very surprised by HAL's recent change to Trieste for 2022 now.  We are in the same boat as to what to do for our August 2022 cruise.  We will definitely be staying in Venice for two nights before, and hope HAL provides (free) transportation to Trieste.  We will likely have to change our return flight from Venice since it is likely too early to make the return land trip from Trieste...perhaps even change it to fly out from Trieste.  We are eagerly waiting for April 11 for HAL to, hopefully, provide more information.l

BTW, other cruise lines did use Maghera and other ports last summer, but I don't know how they handled transportation.

5 hours ago, Torquer said:

As far as I know, last summer's HAL cruises from Venice used the nearby industrial port of Maghera, not far away Trieste.  You embarked in the normal Venice cruise terminal on the island and they bused you to Maghera.  When you disembarked, I believe they would bus you to either the airport or the cruise terminal on the island.

Since HAL changed the summer 2023 cruises to Trieste a long time ago but left the 2022 cruises as Venice, I am very surprised by HAL's recent change to Trieste for 2022 now.  We are in the same boat as to what to do for our August 2022 cruise.  We will definitely be staying in Venice for two nights before, and hope HAL provides (free) transportation to Trieste.  We will likely have to change our return flight from Venice since it is likely too early to make the return land trip from Trieste...perhaps even change it to fly out from Trieste.  We are eagerly waiting for April 11 for HAL to, hopefully, provide more information.l

BTW, other cruise lines did use Maghera and other ports last summer, but I don't know how they handled transportation.

We started out in Marghera in last September, we were transferred from the airport to the original Venice cruise terminal for all of the check in procedure. Marghera has no facilities what so ever to handle embarkation procedures. After the we were transferred to Marghera for boarding.

On our way back we were supposed to go to Marghera again, but last moment (due to weather??) we were diverted to Trieste and transferred by buses to Venice airport.

The way it worked for us last year (Eurodam October 2021).

We checked in at the Venice Cruise Terminal where we were tested for Covid.  We then waited in the terminal until cleared as Negative.  There was no food nor water available until we asked for it and then it was bottles of water only.

We were then transferred to buses where we were driven to Trieste.  There were no stops.  The buses were spacious and were not completely filled.

It was a two hour drive to Trieste.

At Trieste we were brought to the terminal building for more check in procedures (Facial recognition etc).

Then we were taken onboard.

Having checked in at about 11.30 am in Venice, it was after 5pm when we boarded the ship.

I believe that we were the first cruise to utilise the transfers to Trieste so the logistics may not have been as smooth as later embarcations.

For disembarkation in Trieste, it worked like this...........

Suitcases were placed outside the night prior to disembarking.  We were only permitted to take carry on size bags with us to the bus.

We were bussed from the ship to a terminal building, where all the suitcases were laid out for collection (similar to Port Everglades).  After claiming our bags we then reboarded the bus and were driven to Venice Cruise Terminal. A two hour drive again without any stops.

We were dropped off outside the terminal in Venice.  There were no taxis or other transport and we had to call taxis.

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

For disembarkation in Trieste, it worked like this...........

Suitcases were placed outside the night prior to disembarking.  We were only permitted to take carry on size bags with us to the bus.

We were bussed from the ship to a terminal building, where all the suitcases were laid out for collection (similar to Port Everglades).  After claiming our bags we then reboarded the bus and were driven to Venice Cruise Terminal. A two hour drive again without any stops.

We were dropped off outside the terminal in Venice.  There were no taxis or other transport and we had to call taxis.

We had flights and transfer through HAL, so we were dropped off at Venice airport directly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...