Princess does not seem to be offering their nice beach day at the Glyfada Resort for our upcoming cruise in June. I was really looking forward to this. Is there a possibility they might add this on? If not, I guess we will just stay on board for a lazy day. What is worth seeing in the town on our own?

You can do what we did. We went to the inter island bus terminal in town and caught the bus to Paleokastritsa. This is a beautiful seaside place with a very nice beach. You can also wander up the hill to a lovely monastery with plenty of things of historical interest. After that, you may still have some time to explore Corfu town as we did. Cheers,

Andy

In terms of the town itself we didn't find anything to do. Since we wanted to take a break from the various tours that we had done the previous few days when we were in Corfu we just walked a couple of miles from where we got off the ship up the road. While it was a nice walk with the water on our side, there wasn't much to see so we went back to the ship. We do know some people who took a short tour that took them around the coast which they said was nice but if it's a port intensive cruise I think it's a good port to take advantage of the ship.

Keith

Princess does not seem to be offering their nice beach day at the Glyfada Resort for our upcoming cruise in June. I was really looking forward to this. Is there a possibility they might add this on? If not, I guess we will just stay on board for a lazy day. What is worth seeing in the town on our own?

We are a got a cab at the port to take us to Glyfada. We negotiated a rate and when wwe got to the beach, arranged for a time to be picked up. We did not have to pay until we got back to the ship. The beach is nice and there are several places to rent chairs and umbrellas and to have lunch. We just wanted to relax and we had a very niceday at the beach. The beach is beautiful.

I was looking for his email and just ran across it this am to post.. he runs all the taxis, so if you want to pre-arrange one to be waiting for you he can do that ( the driver will be there with sign with your name )..

I believe the tours are 30 EU per hour ( or were last year).usually 3 or 4 hours.. worth it.. you will see everything.

They use Mercedes sedans so they do seat 4 plus driver ( with 3 in back seat).. so you can share ..

We rented a car right at the cruise ship terminal (very easy) and drove to Paleokastritsas (about 25-30 minutes) and spent a lovely afternoon on the beach. There is a great beach club that has an outdoor restaurant (thatched cafe), rents lounge chairs and allows use of their pool. I would HIGHLY recommend this over a spa day. Our 4 kids loved it, as did we, it was incredibly relaxing, great fresh fish. You can spend 3-4 hours or more easily depending on amount of time available. When we returned to the ship, we left the car with the keys in the viser as instructed right at the pier and got on the ship

• 2 weeks later...

I started to do a long post about the wonders of the Ionian Islands and Corfu. However, why give away a good secret. Why would my fellow cruise ship passengers want to go to a place that is the prime destination for thousands of European yacths that prefer this region over the better known Cyclades (Santorini, Mykonos, etc) And why would anyone want to be in an region favored by folks with the name of Kennedy, Onassis, etc. Please stay on the ship and leave this awful island alone for the rest of us to enjoy.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would LOVE to hear more about this fabulous island. I can't imagine any place in Greece not being wonderful. However, I don't know much about Corfu, such a sad state of affairs I am in! Please fill me in on the wonders of the great region!!!

marcia

Renting a car could not have been easier than at Corfu. We intended to hire a cabdriver to take us to Glyfada Beach but were able to rent a car right at the port from Royal Rent A Car for 70 Euro (which was only 10 Euro more than the taxi driver wanted and we were able to go where we wanted at our own pace). The car was right at the port and you just leave your keys in the car when you return that evening. Note that almost all of the cars are standard not automatic; it was comical driving out of town and hearing all of the grinding of gears by people who had not used a stick shift in a long time.

We got a map from the rental car agency and then were pleasantly surprised to find that all the street signs were in English as well as Greek. We had no problem finding our way to Glyfada. Corfu is gorgeous and it was well worth the rental price to see some of the island. At the beach, lounge chairs and umbrellas were plentiful and inexpensive. Our youngest daughter had great fun with two young Greek boys who asked to play with her water toys. After several hours sunning and playing in the water we had a fabulous lunch at the Glyfada Beach taverna. The calamari was to die for.

We even had time to drive up to Paleokastritsa to see the scenery and then back to Corfu town where we walked a bit and found a bakery selling baklava. We had a wonderful day on Corfu - it was our most favorite port after Dubrovnik.

Renting a car could not have been easier than at Corfu. We intended to hire a cabdriver to take us to Glyfada Beach but were able to rent a car right at the port from Royal Rent A Car for 70 Euro (which was only 10 Euro more than the taxi driver wanted and we were able to go where we wanted at our own pace). The car was right at the port and you just leave your keys in the car when you return that evening. Note that almost all of the cars are standard not automatic; it was comical driving out of town and hearing all of the grinding of gears by people who had not used a stick shift in a long time.

We got a map from the rental car agency and then were pleasantly surprised to find that all the street signs were in English as well as Greek. We had no problem finding our way to Glyfada. Corfu is gorgeous and it was well worth the rental price to see some of the island. At the beach, lounge chairs and umbrellas were plentiful and inexpensive. Our youngest daughter had great fun with two young Greek boys who asked to play with her water toys. After several hours sunning and playing in the water we had a fabulous lunch at the Glyfada Beach taverna. The calamari was to die for.

We even had time to drive up to Paleokastritsa to see the scenery and then back to Corfu town where we walked a bit and found a bakery selling baklava. We had a wonderful day on Corfu - it was our most favorite port after Dubrovnik.

I tried looking up Royal Rent a Car on the internet. Do you have their e-mail address?

I've never been to Corfu, but from what I've read it is considered by many to be the most beautiful islands in Greece. Lush, green, mountanous with incredible beaches & views.

I have a day in port there in September and I'm trying to decide whether to go on a ship sponsored excursion or rent a car.

I know I'd like to go to Paleokastritsa & Lakones, but none of the excursions stop at both places. (just drive through - no stopping)

I'm thinking it would be easier to rent a cab for the day.

We were there in June and there were many cars to chose from. The rental agency had a laminated sheet with photographs of the various cars available. As I recall the taxi driver told us it would be 60 Euro to go to Glyfada Beach and back. Taxis are available right outside the terminal.

Archived