Cancellation/Interruption Insurance

koolforkatz

22 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Can you let me know where these screen shots are from, these are really helpful.

Edit - I see now, these may be from a webinar.  

Does anyone know if this information is anywhere on Manulife's website?

They're from a TA webinar this morning.  

• Like 1

I’m also looking for cancellation/interruption insurance for our upcoming Sept Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. We have good medical coverage through my husbands work. I’m waiting for Manulife to call me back and just spoke to someone at Allianz who told me their plans won’t cover cruise travel or costs as theyre currently a level 4! I tried to tell her that that was dropped weeks ago but she insisted that Canada has cruising still at that level and any policy wouldn’t cover us for cruise costs. Am I wrong? 

19 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I’m also looking for cancellation/interruption insurance for our upcoming Sept Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. We have good medical coverage through my husbands work. I’m waiting for Manulife to call me back and just spoke to someone at Allianz who told me their plans won’t cover cruise travel or costs as theyre currently a level 4! I tried to tell her that that was dropped weeks ago but she insisted that Canada has cruising still at that level and any policy wouldn’t cover us for cruise costs. Am I wrong? 

No, you aren't wrong. The 2022-04-11 update contains no Advisory, let alone a Level 4 (Avoid All Travel). The current advice is as follows: 

If you aren’t fully vaccinated, or if you’re at higher risk for developing severe disease from COVID-19, you should avoid cruise ship travel.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No, you aren't wrong. The 2022-04-11 update contains no Advisory, let alone a Level 4 (Avoid All Travel). The current advice is as follows: 

If you aren’t fully vaccinated, or if you’re at higher risk for developing severe disease from COVID-19, you should avoid cruise ship travel.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Exactly! I even asked the rep to ask someone else, or a supervisor but she was adamant that there was a level 4 for cruises still. I figure if that’s the way they run their operation then perhaps I don’t want to deal with them in case of a claim anyway. I did try to call Manulife and after a 30 minute hold got someone who took my details then told me that I’d have to hold for an actual rep who might answer in an hour or two or might not at all or I could have a call back within 72 hours!!  Took the callback option lol. 

Just curious if the original poster is booked with cruise with confidence where you get a credit. I'm booked with that on royal caribbean. My understanding is that if you can receive a credit most insurance companies will not give you a refund anyways because you can get the credit for it. That's how i read most of the policies anyways.

4 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Can you let me know where these screen shots are from, these are really helpful.

Edit - I see now, these may be from a webinar.  

Does anyone know if this information is anywhere on Manulife's website?

You can find the information on their website here: https://www.manulife.ca/page/covid-19-statement.html1899590337_ManulifePolicy.thumb.JPG.9f944d8f4e838eec186a94a771cd46ce.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Also, my understanding is that trip cancellation covers you if you need to cancel before your trip. So my understanding is if you had to cancel 3 days before you would be covered by trip cancellation.

The issue is testing positive on your preboarding test (two days preboarding) which is too late for the cruise line to issue an fcc.  If CWC is extended beyond Apr 30 with Celebrity the need for this insurance will not be necessary. 

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Just curious if the original poster is booked with cruise with confidence where you get a credit. I'm booked with that on royal caribbean. My understanding is that if you can receive a credit most insurance companies will not give you a refund anyways because you can get the credit for it. That's how i read most of the policies anyways.

I'm the OP. I could cancel with Cruise with Confidence but only up to 48 hours before sailing. Problem is we need to test the day before sailing so that timing negates the CWC. Celebrity does have provisions in place for refunding if you test positive before boarding. Unfortunately, that expires on April 30th and they haven't yet indicated whether they're going to extend it. Strange because Royal Caribbean has extended theirs for an entire year. 

13 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

I'm the OP. I could cancel with Cruise with Confidence but only up to 48 hours before sailing. Problem is we need to test the day before sailing so that timing negates the CWC. Celebrity does have provisions in place for refunding if you test positive before boarding. Unfortunately, that expires on April 30th and they haven't yet indicated whether they're going to extend it. Strange because Royal Caribbean has extended theirs for an entire year. 

Let's say that you flew to Europe a couple of days prior to boarding then tested positive on the antigen test taken 24 hrs prior to boarding. Under Manulife's PPP, All inclusive  or Non-med pkgs you would be covered under the Trip Interruption benefits.  Note that Manulife's C&I pkg is more expensive with less benefits that their Non-med pkg.

1 hour ago, macmax said:

Let's say that you flew to Europe a couple of days prior to boarding then tested positive on the antigen test taken 24 hrs prior to boarding. Under Manulife's PPP, All inclusive  or Non-med pkgs you would be covered under the Trip Interruption benefits.  Note that Manulife's C&I pkg is more expensive with less benefits that their Non-med pkg.

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, macmax said:

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because when I’m on Manulifes cover me site I can’t seem to find a way to get a quote on any non medical plans that include cancellation and interruption. C and I seems to be an add on to their plans…wish Celebrity would just extend their Covid coverage past this month like their parent company and this wouldn’t be an issue 🤷‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because when I’m on Manulifes cover me site I can’t seem to find a way to get a quote on any non medical plans that include cancellation and interruption. C and I seems to be an add on to their plans…wish Celebrity would just extend their Covid coverage past this month like their parent company and this wouldn’t be an issue 🤷‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

It looks like they only show the C&I on the customer site.  I think that it is the same or very similar to the Non-med plan that shows on the agent site. 

3 hours ago, macmax said:

It looks like they only show the C&I on the customer site.  I think that it is the same or very similar to the Non-med plan that shows on the agent site. 

Ok thx, I’m still waiting for a rep to return my call. Was told it could be 72 hours so maybe I’ll have more info by the weekend 🙄🤷‍♀️

6 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Ok thx, I’m still waiting for a rep to return my call. Was told it could be 72 hours so maybe I’ll have more info by the weekend 🙄🤷‍♀️

Or stop by a local travel agency. Most sell Manulife policies and you don't have to book the trip through them.

• Thanks 1

In light of the most recent update by Celebrity I won’t be looking for further insurance for our Alaska cruise. Really just needed reassurance for testing positive prior to boarding and now I feel better knowing we’ll get fcc if we do encounter this situation. 

Our travel agent recommended this insurer. They cover COVID issues. I have not looked at the details since we booked it and paid the balance of the fare to Cunard over two months ago, so I can't say if there have been any recent changes. We took only the cancellation and trip interruption insurance as we have an annual medical plan from another company.

https://shop.tugo.com/store/MOS725

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

Our travel agent recommended this insurer. They cover COVID issues. I have not looked at the details since we booked it and paid the balance of the fare to Cunard over two months ago, so I can't say if there have been any recent changes. We took only the cancellation and trip interruption insurance as we have an annual medical plan from another company.

https://shop.tugo.com/store/MOS725

I just had a quick look at the policy; the following section might require some clarification:

"COVID-19 We will pay up to the Policy limit or as specified under each benefit limit in this plan for expenses incurred due to COVID-19.

a You have received a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination at least 14 days before your date of departure; and,

b You have received or scheduled any subsequent doses of the vaccine if available to you."

If two boosters (#3 & #4) are available and the subscriber is eligible, then would coverage be denied if the vaccines were not received?

Also:

" Coverage will not be provided for: a Any claim incurred if you had any COVID-19 symptoms on or within the 14 days before your date of departure. b Any claim incurred if you were diagnosed with COVID-19 on or within the 30 days before the date of departure."

So there is no coverage if the subscriber tests positive a month or less before departure.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:13 PM, daisy-mae said:

So there is no coverage if the subscriber tests positive a month or less before departure.

The "small print" appears to have changed a little since I took out the policy. As for testing positive a month or less before departure, in Ontario very few people qualify for official testing. It is estimated, based on wastewater testing, that 10 times as many people are COVID-positive than what is officially reported. Most people who test positive do so by taking the free rapid antigen tests. As there is no record of these results the insurer wouldn't know about it.

I don't know about other cruise lines, but Cunard will give a full credit to any passenger who tests positive within 14 days of the cruise.

Travel insurance is always complicated - and more so during the COVID-era.

24 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Travel insurance is always complicated - and more so during the COVID-era.

When it comes to insurance, the cynic in me is always on the lookout for loopholes that favor the insurer...

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the fine print. I’d be interested in if anyone has looked into allianz. International. Cruise with confidence is ending unfortunately although i thought i read princess has some sort of insurance where you can get 60% of your money back.

Oops i just recalled royal caribbean extended their policy to april 2023 if you test positive before cruise. So still some time luckily although i don’t know policy of other cruiselines. Just to clarify i don’t mean cruise with confidence was extended just the testing before the port.

Edited by latebuyer