Verizon Texting on Ovation

iuki

How and when do we order texting service when we cruise on Ovation?  We have Verizon cell phone service.  So, we pay for my hubby’s and my cell phone so that we can text each other while on the cruise?  Correct?  What happens if other people send us text?  Will we be charged for it?  How does it work?

If you get the Voom Package for both phones. Put both phones in Airplane Mode, Turn off Cellular Data, Turn on WiFi calling, you can call and text who ever you want if they are on the ship or not. They can call or text you as well.. 

If you are talking JUST service through Verizon, I am not sure what the fees are or how that works. But my understanding is you can't block everyone else and you would be charged for random calls and/or texts 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iuki said:

How and when do we order texting service when we cruise on Ovation?  We have Verizon cell phone service.  So, we pay for my hubby’s and my cell phone so that we can text each other while on the cruise?  Correct?  What happens if other people send us text?  Will we be charged for it?  How does it work?

Are you inquiring about the $1.99 a day texting feature? I don't know how it works, but hopefully someone else does, or they will have information about it when you board. :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iuki said:

How and when do we order texting service when we cruise on Ovation?

If you want to get/send texts off the ship, you'll likely need a Voom package and use the WiFi calling feature of your devices.

If you want to limit texting to the ship, everyone will need to buy the texting feature inside the RCI app.

If you have never used wifi calling, you MUST set it up while your phone is connected to your cellular service.  So do this BEFORE boarding.

With VOOM and wifi calling, you can text and call each other and everyone else, for no extra charge.

As was mentioned, make SURE that your phone is in Airplane mode.  That way it cannot mistakenly place a call or send texts through the ship's Cellular at Sea system.  The bill will be AMAZING, in a not good way.

• Like 3

For texting on the ship, you will need to pay for VOOM or the RCL in app text service. Definitely keep all your devices in airplane mode (apple watches too!) to avoid the cellular at sea charges.  Eventually your carrier will probably disable your device.  I learned this the hard way on our first cruise because I had turned the cellular off, but was not in airplane mode.  I got very lucky and had my account through my employer that happened to have an international plan that covered my $900 in charges without any extra fees!  It was a pain to get my phone re-activated when we got back and a few tense days until the calls got rated correctly though!

While in port, you can use the Travel Pass through Verizon when outside of the US.  This service is $10 per phone, per day and you get 1 pass per month per phone.  As soon as you take your phone out of airplane mode, it will text you saying you redeemed one of your travel passes.  My husband took his phone out of airplane mode in Jamaica because he thought he was on the free wifi, so we had this travel pass kick in.  

• Like 1

Be careful and regularly check that your phone has not come out of airplane mode or switched on mobile data.  We've had this happen before and got hit with at-sea roaming charges when we thought we were on VOOM.  I've not had it happen on any Android phones, but it has happened more than once on iPhones.  It always seemed to happen overnight.  We ended up having to power off the iPhones at night, otherwise sometime mobile data would switch on and then received text messages and "background processes" would start racking up charges.

• Like 1

Check the top of the screen.  If it says Cellular at Sea or similar, PANIC. 😄

My T-mobile phone says Wifi at the top left when it is connected to wifi, and I also check for the airplane icon.

• Like 1

Watching the icons works as long as you are looking at your phone.  Our problem was that the iPhone would turn off airplane mode (or turn on mobile data) sometimes overnight while we were asleep.  When this happened, I did some searches and found that it's not uncommon.  Not only that, iPhones will still use some cellular data even when connected to WiFi unless in airplane mode.  I think it's some sort of Apple conspiracy to help the cellular service companies make more money.  😜

7 hours ago, iuki said:

Thanks to all for responding.  I was just interested in the texting for $1.99 per day per phone.  So apparently, that’s not an option.

It wasn't clear what you were looking for, if both are on the ship or what... 

That is an option if you are both on the ship. The downside is I have heard you have to check it, that it doesn't notify you. 
First you both have to download the RC app, again you put the phone in airplane mode, connect to the ships WiFi... after that I know it is something in the app, but since I haven't used it, maybe someone can take you thru the other steps

• Like 1

I used it on our last cruise.  When you get on the ship you will have to go on the Royal App and sign up for the messaging.  Anyone that you want to message on the ship will have to sign up on their phone as well.  When you message, it will be thru the Royal App.  Worked great for us.  No WiFi purchase was needed.

Edited by missaud
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, missaud said:

I used it on our last cruise.  When you get on the ship you will have to go on the Royal App and sign up for the messaging.  Anyone that you want to message on the ship will have to sign up on their phone as well.  When you message, it will be thru the Royal App.  Worked great for us.  No WiFi purchase was needed.

Thank you so much for the info.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:30 AM, rudeney said:

Watching the icons works as long as you are looking at your phone.  Our problem was that the iPhone would turn off airplane mode (or turn on mobile data) sometimes overnight while we were asleep.  When this happened, I did some searches and found that it's not uncommon.  Not only that, iPhones will still use some cellular data even when connected to WiFi unless in airplane mode.  I think it's some sort of Apple conspiracy to help the cellular service companies make more money.  😜

For it to be permanent ( eg throughout the whole cruise) 9EB8261E-C5DC-44CD-8B65-891BD4B62C15.thumb.jpeg.3d9e96a232f264ee2c2cc7ce2315a421.jpeg You have to turn off cellular data (and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if you so desire) from inside settings—not the quick icon. The quick icon feature only turns off cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc for 24 hours…no conspiracy involved😊

Yep, did that, too, after the first time when the phone starting ringing (no wifi calling available at that time).  It happened again two days late.  I decided to pull the SIM car - iMessage works on non-cellular devices like iPads, right?  Nope!  It won't work on an iPhone with no SIM car.  Granted this, was a few years back, so maybe Apple has revised its setting, but based on what I was seeing from internet comments, it was a rampant problem.  In fact, so rampant, that Verizon admitted they knew of the issue and credited most all of the charges back to me.  

• Like 1

There are real advantages in having a smaller phone company.  No roaming data charges because they don't support roaming at all.  Never had a problem on MetroPCS or Boost.  Lots of plans out there for $30 a month or less.  Pretty easy to buy a plan with free phone and use it just for cruises if you want.