Ravenna station to port options

dritan

Hi

I'm conscious that a few Ravenna related thread but nothing that addresses this question.  We are a family of 4 and sailing from Ravenna at the end of next month.  We are flying into Bologna and staying overnight and getting the train to Ravenna station the next morning.  For our return journey we are getting the train from Ravenna to Milan ( not as awful as it sounds and was the only economical flight back to the uk).

There seem to be 2 options for getting from the train station to the cruise port - a local 90 bus and a taxi.  I've priced the taxi and it seems to be 50 euros which seems very expensive. .  The local bus seems to leave you close to the port but google maps implies that it's a 1km walk.  Does anyone have experience of this as it looks to me that the Cruise terminal is actually just about 100 metres from the bus stop?

On the day in question we might just bit the bullet and get a taxi but then again there could be a lot of demand.  Does the port offer any shuttles from the station to the cruise port of RCI?

• Like 1

Yes - I just found some reference to it.  I think we will decide on the day - and as there are a few Ravenna cruises just before ours, someone may be able to provide an update.  Thanks for the reply. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am taking a train from Rome to Venice for the Rhapsody of The Sea, not realizing that the ship actually leaves from Ravanna.. I can take a train from Venice to Ravanna but will be arriving late on June 6 and was hoping to spend some time in Venice. Trains run about every hour from Venice to Ravanna from 0600 to midnight but now my concern is getting from the train station to the cruise terminal and how late do the buses run. The schedule link is in Italian. I have been on hold for 30 minutes with RCCL now. Last time I called was quicker but they were not very knowledgeable or helpful. 

I seriously doubt the cruise line will be able to help with ground transport in Italy.

There are two bus lines, the #90 from the train station to the port has its last departure  from the Ravenna train station on Mon-Sat at 19:15 (7:15 PM) and on Sundays and holidays at 18:15.

Schedule here:  RA_Linea_90.pdf (startromagna.it)

Line #70 has a last departure from the Ravenna train station on Mon-Sat at 19:33 (7:33 PM) and 19:03 on Sundays and holidays.

Schedule here: RA_Linea_70.pdf (startromagna.it)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi please could you provide feedback about flying back from Milan. We are looking at this cruise but need to fly back the same day we get off the ship and have limited options / don’t want to pay some of the high prices. We are looking at flying into Bologna but flying back there isn’t a flight that day. Hope you have/had a lovely trip! 

Unless you have an unusually late fight out of Milan (Malpensa) you can't do it.  The fastest way to get there is by car, about four to four and a half hours.  That means if you can be off the ship at 6:30 you'd be at the airport 10:30 - 11:00.  That means a flight time no earlier than 1:30 or 2 PM.

By train you really can't get there before noon, which means a flight after 2:30 or 3 PM.

Pisa is a little closer, about a three to three and a half hour drive.  Train isn't realistic to Pisa, too many changes.

You could be at the Rome airport (FCO) by 12:37 by train, that might be a possibility for a late flight.  Driving to Rome isn't realistic.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:53 AM, euro cruiser said:

Unless you have an unusually late fight out of Milan (Malpensa) you can't do it.  The fastest way to get there is by car, about four to four and a half hours.  That means if you can be off the ship at 6:30 you'd be at the airport 10:30 - 11:00.  That means a flight time no earlier than 1:30 or 2 PM.

By train you really can't get there before noon, which means a flight after 2:30 or 3 PM.

Pisa is a little closer, about a three to three and a half hour drive.  Train isn't realistic to Pisa, too many changes.

You could be at the Rome airport (FCO) by 12:37 by train, that might be a possibility for a late flight.  Driving to Rome isn't realistic.

Thanks, apologies I should have said we are flying back to the UK so there are flights in the afternoon and evening. 

Milan looks closer by train than Rome does when I’ve been looking? Coming up at 3hr 15 from Ravenna station compared to over 4hrs to Rome. 

It's a minimum of four hours by train from Ravenna to Milan Malpensa, with at least two changes en route.

Best case to Rome Fiumicino is four and three quarter hours, with two changes. 

Since it's kind of a toss up in terms of time to the airports and number of changes along the way, I'd look for the best combination of plane and train fares and make the decision that way.

Both of these include trains all the way to the airport.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

Just to update. When we got off the train at 11.15 today, there was a RCI shuttle outside the main entrance. This costs 10 dollars per passenger and is charged to the cabin account. 

In the end this seemed easier than searching for a taxi company. So we went for this.

There appeared to be a taxi company but it was on the other exit of the station.

Hope that helps someone else

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

We called RC this week to purchase the shuttle from the Ravenna train station to the port, and the return trip -  $10 (each way).  Per RC, they run every 20-30 minutes until 3:30 pm (from train station to port).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 11:15 AM, dritan said:

Just to update. When we got off the train at 11.15 today, there was a RCI shuttle outside the main entrance. This costs 10 dollars per passenger and is charged to the cabin account. 

In the end this seemed easier than searching for a taxi company. So we went for this.

There appeared to be a taxi company but it was on the other exit of the station.

Fantastic! Thank you for the information!! 

An update to my update.  I thought I'd share our experience at the end of the cruise.  Due to not being able to get reasonably priced flights from Bologna or Venice, we flew back from Milan - originally Linate but was shifted to Malpensa by Easy jet several months ago.

Well what fun we had lol.  We took the $10 per person RCI shuttle bus to Ravenna station but found out there was a local regional strike and our 9.44 train to Bologna was cancelled, as was the next one at 10.44. This left about 100 passengers stranded at the station ( most had flights to catch from Venice or Bologna).  There were literally 3 taxis that came along during the next 2 hours.  At this rate I thought we had a 5% chance of catching our 5.30 flight. 

Thankfully the 11.44 was running and at Bologna we ran to catch the next train which unfortunately was a slow train to Milan.  We had to stand for that journey and then ran to catch an airport bus at Milan Centrale at 3.30.  

Arrived at Malpensa at 4.30 and found out our flight was delay lol!  At least it gave us a chance to relax and eat.  Got to Luton for 8.30pm and after that palaver, the 40 min delay to get stairs and a further 1 hour for luggage was the perfect end to the day.  But at least we got home which is more than many experienced this week.

My lesson learned was to probably avoid Ravenna embarkations - or at least make sure your flight is from Bologna.

44 minutes ago, dritan said:

An update to my update.  I thought I'd share our experience at the end of the cruise.  Due to not being able to get reasonably priced flights from Bologna or Venice, we flew back from Milan - originally Linate but was shifted to Malpensa by Easy jet several months ago.

Well what fun we had lol.  We took the $10 per person RCI shuttle bus to Ravenna station but found out there was a local regional strike and our 9.44 train to Bologna was cancelled, as was the next one at 10.44. This left about 100 passengers stranded at the station ( most had flights to catch from Venice or Bologna).  There were literally 3 taxis that came along during the next 2 hours.  At this rate I thought we had a 5% chance of catching our 5.30 flight. 

Thankfully the 11.44 was running and at Bologna we ran to catch the next train which unfortunately was a slow train to Milan.  We had to stand for that journey and then ran to catch an airport bus at Milan Centrale at 3.30.  

Arrived at Malpensa at 4.30 and found out our flight was delay lol!  At least it gave us a chance to relax and eat.  Got to Luton for 8.30pm and after that palaver, the 40 min delay to get stairs and a further 1 hour for luggage was the perfect end to the day.  But at least we got home which is more than many experienced this week.

My lesson learned was to probably avoid Ravenna embarkations - or at least make sure your flight is from Bologna.

Sorry you faced such a number of obstacles to get home. It seems that summer travel this year is going to be a matter of bringing a lot of patience and being prepared to roll with some changes...

22 hours ago, little britain said:

Fantastic! Thank you for the information!! 

On 5/29/2022 at 6:15 AM, dritan said:

Thank you 

Hello, we are on the Brilliance July 3-10 cruise.  We will be taking the train to Venice after the cruise.  My questions are 

• Did you purchase the Port to Ravenna train station transfer ahead of time of did you just show up to catch the shuttle?
  • When did you get off the ship?
  • When did you arrive at the Ravenna train station?

Thanks for the info.

HI

We received a letter in our cabin mid way through the cruise which outlined how to order a return shuttle to the station.  There were several time options - if I remember correctly they were at 8, 8.30 and 9. So you can select the best one.  I would say that the time of the shuttle didn't bear relation to the actual time of the shuttle as ours was for 9am but it ended up leaving at 9.25.  So I would go with an early option just to give yourself plenty of time.  Your luggage tag will be based on which shuttle time you select. 

Our shuttle left at 9.25 and we arrived at the station at 9.40 -the stop was about 100 metres from the station so a little bit of lugging of suitcases but not too bad. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Train related question- we are staying in Rome before and after our cruise Oct 2 on Brilliance of the Seas. We are spending one night prior to cruise in Ravenna. Can we purchase food on the train (it's about a 7 hour trip, with 2 transfer, because we are travelling on a weekend), or should we pack food with us?

Have you already purchased these train tickets?  If not, wait.  Not all trains have been loaded into the system yet and there will be more options.

There is only food offered on Frecce trains and even that I would only go for if I had no other options.  Especially now, post-Covid, everything is prepacked and simply heated (if needed).  You can do better by taking a little time the day before in Rome to pack your own food.  If your train isn't very early on Sunday morning there is a food court at Termini, Mercato Centrale, with some pretty good options.  It opens at 7:30 on Sundays.

Mercato Centrale Rome | Mercato Centrale

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, lbh11 said:

I'm searching posts and info on this same subject.

Does anyone know if Celebrity Cruises has a shuttle as well?

We're on the Constellation on 10/3 and taking the train from Bologna that morning.

Questions about Celebrity specific issues will get more focused responses on the Celebrity forum.

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 6:53 AM, dritan said:

Hi

I'm conscious that a few Ravenna related thread but nothing that addresses this question.  We are a family of 4 and sailing from Ravenna at the end of next month.  We are flying into Bologna and staying overnight and getting the train to Ravenna station the next morning.  For our return journey we are getting the train from Ravenna to Milan ( not as awful as it sounds and was the only economical flight back to the uk).

There seem to be 2 options for getting from the train station to the cruise port - a local 90 bus and a taxi.  I've priced the taxi and it seems to be 50 euros which seems very expensive. .  The local bus seems to leave you close to the port but google maps implies that it's a 1km walk.  Does anyone have experience of this as it looks to me that the Cruise terminal is actually just about 100 metres from the bus stop?

On the day in question we might just bit the bullet and get a taxi but then again there could be a lot of demand.  Does the port offer any shuttles from the station to the cruise port of RCI?

Hello, do you mind sharing what hotel you stayed at in Bologna? And the train you took from Bologna to Ravenna was the Trenitalia regional train? My group of four is flying to Bologna for a cruise out of Ravenna in June and we are gathering all the different options. Thanks!