Are we mad to consider this multi-cruise itinerary?

6 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

So our new flight out of Sydney was delayed and we missed our new connection to Seattle. 
We stayed in a hotel in Vancouver overnight and are now waiting to board our 7:30am flight to Seattle. Third time's a charm. 🤞

Hopefully we can check into our Seattle hotel straight away when we arrive; we should be able to because they were expecting us last night. 

Airline and airport staff have been so helpful every step of the way. 😁

Wow, you’re certainly keeping us informed re making sure to anticipate delays etc. so do airline cover the delays costs, hotel etc or would that be an insurance cost?

hope you’ve had some decent sleep. How did Cathryn’s ankle go with all the plane sitting etc?

14 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Wow, you’re certainly keeping us informed re making sure to anticipate delays etc. so do airline cover the delays costs, hotel etc or would that be an insurance cost?

hope you’ve had some decent sleep. How did Cathryn’s ankle go with all the plane sitting etc?

Sorry, Irene. I tried to post this hours ago but the WIFI is a bit hopeless in this dodgy motel. I purchased a USA SIM with unlimited data before we left home and I didn’t think I was supposed to be able to hotspot but it seems to be working so here’s what I wrote earlier:

The airline (QANTAS) rebooked the flights every step of the way. They organised and paid for the accommodation in Vancouver with shuttle to and from the airport. Also $30 each for dinner in Vancouver. The staff have all be absolutely wonderful. 
We've pushed through today and are about to put the light out. It was very tempting to have a sleep during the day today but I’m a firm believer that forcing your body into a new schedule and doing things by the clock is the best way to combat jet lag. 
Cathryn has had quite a bit of swelling in both legs despite wearing surgical stockings for the flights. She was very grateful for the wheelchair assistance I’d organised as all that walking wouldn’t have been good for her ankle. We’ve walked a bit today and she didn’t have the moon boot on so unsurprisingly her ankle is aching a bit but not as bad as it had been a month ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We finally made it to Seattle. Our accommodation it adequate but nothing fabulous (a bit of a dive, really) so I’ve now booked elsewhere for the 3 nights between cruises. It’s OK for one night but we've found something better for the next stay. 
We purchased a few necessities and had lunch before visiting the Pike Place Market, the Gum Wall, and the Space Needle. 
We got to bed at a decent time. It’s 4:30am now and .I’m wide awake but that’s not unusual. In about 8 hours we board the Eurodam for our Alaskan cruise as long as we test negative. 🤞

• Like 3

Glad you're finally where you need to be 🙂 and have had some decent 😴 Fingers crossed for a negative test for you both, don't let the 🐀 take up any head space, sending every good wish for a smooth boarding and a wonderful Alaskan cruise, something I will do one fine day 🛳 🌞 ☃️ Happy holidays 🙃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

We finally made it to Seattle. Our accommodation it adequate but nothing fabulous (a bit of a dive, really) so I’ve now booked elsewhere for the 3 nights between cruises. It’s OK for one night but we've found something better for the next stay. 
We purchased a few necessities and had lunch before visiting the Pike Place Market, the Gum Wall, and the Space Needle. 
We got to bed at a decent time. It’s 4:30am now and .I’m wide awake but that’s not unusual. In about 8 hours we board the Eurodam for our Alaskan cruise as long as we test negative. 🤞

Great to hear you’re arrived after all the adventure of getting there. All the best for the rest of your trip 🥰

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Sorry, Irene. I tried to post this hours ago but the WIFI is a bit hopeless in this dodgy motel. I purchased a USA SIM with unlimited data before we left home and I didn’t think I was supposed to be able to hotspot but it seems to be working so here’s what I wrote earlier:

The airline (QANTAS) rebooked the flights every step of the way. They organised and paid for the accommodation in Vancouver with shuttle to and from the airport. Also $30 each for dinner in Vancouver. The staff have all be absolutely wonderful. 
We've pushed through today and are about to put the light out. It was very tempting to have a sleep during the day today but I’m a firm believer that forcing your body into a new schedule and doing things by the clock is the best way to combat jet lag. 
Cathryn has had quite a bit of swelling in both legs despite wearing surgical stockings for the flights. She was very grateful for the wheelchair assistance I’d organised as all that walking wouldn’t have been good for her ankle. We’ve walked a bit today and she didn’t have the moon boot on so unsurprisingly her ankle is aching a bit but not as bad as it had been a month ago. 

That’s great Qantas went the extra mile 🥰

we do the same re long flights and fight to stay awake to adjust asap. We def have to for South Africa in November! One day rest then I’m sharing three hour office admin seminar daytime , Frank sharing with leaders nighttime. Next day both of us do all day marriage seminar, then franks preaching three times Sunday. That’s all in Pretoria. Next day we fly down to Capetown and can start our holiday lol.

so glad wheelchair helped Cathryn at the airport. 
looking forward to your reports . 
irene

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Which hotel in Vancouver? Currently researching them for pre cruise.

12 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

And…

We’re on the Eurodam. Very smooth embarkation. A little dram when we woke this morning but I’ll save that for the full report. 

Enjoy your Dam ship, and enjoy your days in Alaska.

• Haha 2

On 8/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, Cbtours said:

Which hotel in Vancouver? Currently researching them for pre cruise.

Are you spending any time in Vancouver before you cruise? Lots to see there if you are, and somewhere a bit more central would help. At a reasonable rate, we have stayed at Century Plaza a couple of times. Very popular with Aussie wholesalers, and often booked by them for 1 or 2 night stays between a cruise and Canadian Rockies coach tours. Comfortable, and an IGA just down the road for ready made or microwavable meals.

If it is just fly, sleep, cruise, the airport hotels are a less expensive option.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We are now in Victoria, Canada which is the last port of call for our HAL cruise. We are back in Seattle tomorrow so I'll have no excuse for not posting a proper trip report. 😁

Just keep enjoying your cruise(s) and we will catch it all up later. Lots of relaxing sea days ahead on Splendor, have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Are you spending any time in Vancouver before you cruise? Lots to see there if you are, and somewhere a bit more central would help. At a reasonable rate, we have stayed at Century Plaza a couple of times. Very popular with Aussie wholesalers, and often booked by them for 1 or 2 night stays between a cruise and Canadian Rockies coach tours. Comfortable, and an IGA just down the road for ready made or microwavable meals.

If it is just fly, sleep, cruise, the airport hotels are a less expensive option.

Yes we have planned 5 days before cruise. Arrive 1st doing direct flight from Sydney. But doing as much as we can over next four days before cruise on 6th. Top of my list is buchart gardens which I know we can get ferry. There appears lots to do having had Stanley park and Granville island recommended.

I’ll look into century plaza. Thanks 

42 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We are now in Victoria, Canada which is the last port of call for our HAL cruise. We are back in Seattle tomorrow so I'll have no excuse for not posting a proper trip report. 😁

Looking forward to it.

17 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Yes we have planned 5 days before cruise. Arrive 1st doing direct flight from Sydney. But doing as much as we can over next four days before cruise on 6th. Top of my list is buchart gardens which I know we can get ferry. There appears lots to do having had Stanley park and Granville island recommended.

We did Gray Line bus tours to the above pre and post cruise, also to Whistler. Check them out.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

If you are planning to visit Bucharest Gardens, you might like to split your five days between Vancouver and Victoria.  I have done that lots of times and prefer Victoria.  Vancouver is more expensive because of cruise departures from Vancouver.  Beware of less expensive accommodation in Vancouver.  My friends were so disgusted with their prepaid accommodation,  they checked out and lost their money and paid for a better place, which was expensive.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

If you are planning to visit Bucharest Gardens, you might like to split your five days between Vancouver and Victoria.  I have done that lots of times and prefer Victoria.  Vancouver is more expensive because of cruise departures from Vancouver.  Beware of less expensive accommodation in Vancouver.  My friends were so disgusted with their prepaid accommodation,  they checked out and lost their money and paid for a better place, which was expensive.  

Butchart gardens.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

A trip to Grouse Mountain is worth it, particularly if at a time there is still some snow about. Both times I would have liked to have spent more time at Granville Island, where we just had an extended lunch break to browse and eat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That’s good feedback re hotels as that point seems to pop up regularly in reviews and I was hoping someone would clarify.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

A trip to Grouse Mountain is worth it, particularly if at a time there is still some snow about. Both times I would have liked to have spent more time at Granville Island, where we just had an extended lunch break to browse and eat.

I’ve got grouse in my list 🥰

• Like 1