Covid Outbreak on Regatta - 50 Cabins Quarantined After Cruise

Traveller321Go

On 5/28/2022 at 9:26 PM, Vertygo said:

Hope your husband recovers quickly & you stay well. You mentioned in another thread that your husband developed a mild cough 3 days prior to disembarking. If you had tested prior to leaving the ship & turned up positive Oceania would have covered your hotel & helped with air changes (assuming you tested neg prior to boarding). 

Can you insist that they test you before leaving the ship and insist that they do a full, thorough swab instead of what other posters have indicated have been quite quick and felt like superficial swabs?  The most current "SailSAFE" FAQs state that tests will be done only if required by the country the ship is entering or the passenger is returning to.  As the poster was disembarking in Canada, no test was required to be taken in order to disembark.

We know that the cruiselines have a bit of a conflict of interest in not performing a full by-the-book thorough test because if it is positive it has to be reported to the CDC and they have to cover the costs related to quarantine etc. 

3 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Can you insist that they test you before leaving the ship and insist that they do a full, thorough swab instead of what other posters have indicated have been quite quick and felt like superficial swabs?  The most current "SailSAFE" FAQs state that tests will be done only if required by the country the ship is entering or the passenger is returning to.  As the poster was disembarking in Canada, no test was required to be taken in order to disembark.

We know that the cruiselines have a bit of a conflict of interest in not performing a full by-the-book thorough test because if it is positive it has to be reported to the CDC and they have to cover the costs related to quarantine 

According to my TA, if you get covid on the ship, as soon as the cruise ends and you disembark, you are on your own. Cruiselines no longer cover the costs of quarantine. You have to pay for this your self with over own insurance. 

7 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

We know that the cruiselines have a bit of a conflict of interest in not performing a full by-the-book thorough test because if it is positive it has to be reported to the CDC and they have to cover the costs related to quarantine etc. 

The poster mentioned they self-tested after disembarking. If they had self-tested while aboard & were positive O would have covered the Vancouver quarantine. Testing would also have been done in the medical facility if the passenger presented with the could that developed 3 days prior.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vertygo said:

The poster mentioned they self-tested after disembarking. If they had self-tested while aboard & were positive O would have covered the Vancouver quarantine. Testing would also have been done in the medical facility if the passenger presented with the could that developed 3 days prior.

Thanks for your response.  Are you saying that we can't insist on having a test the day before disembarking and that we should now all be packing our own self-test kits?

Your statement that O would have covered the Vancouver quarantine seems contradictory to the post just before yours though ("According to my TA, if you get covid on the ship, as soon as the cruise ends and you disembark, you are on your own. Cruiselines no longer cover the costs of quarantine.")

Also, what if you self-test positive the day before disembarking but when you go to the medical office on board they test you in a superficial way and it is negative (even though you are sure you have it because the self-test showed "super/strong/instant" positive and you were showing all of the symptoms)?

4 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Also, what if you self-test positive the day before disembarking but when you go to the medical office on board they test you in a superficial way and it is negative (even though you are sure you have it because the self-test showed "super/strong/instant" positive and you were showing all of the symptoms)?

I’m not sure anyone on cruise critic would know how to answer this hypothetical question.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Your statement that O would have covered the Vancouver quarantine seems contradictory to the post just before yours though ("According to my TA, if you get covid on the ship, as soon as the cruise ends and you disembark, you are on your own. Cruiselines no longer cover the costs of quarantine.")

I would consider the source on that. Some do, some don't, also there are booked by dates and sail by dates that come into play also. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Thanks for your response.  Are you saying that we can't insist on having a test the day before disembarking and that we should now all be packing our own self-test kits?

Yes, you should now be bringing along self test kits on all cruises. On my next cruise, which happens to be on NCL in August, the last day is a sea day and I will self test in my cabin. If I happen to come up positive I will report to the medical center to get an official test. If that is also positive I would only have to quarantine for one day.   on the ship. Then after disembarking in Amsterdam I now have a 2 day head start on the 10 day quarantine before the test to fly to the US. I would only have to stay 8 days extra, I already have 3 days in AMS planned.

Maybe Oceania pays for the quarantine after you leave the ship but NCL does not, even though it is the same parent company. Different rules for the different brands.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

I'm certain that anyone presenting to the med Clinic with a cough would be tested for COVID. Using a self-test kit allows the passenger to know if a cough is COVID or just a cold withought getting involved in the clinic quagmire. I bring them when I travel. They're free here in the US (finally!).

No contradiction with the prior poster. If you test positive after you disembark, but not before, quarantine costs will not be covered. OTOH, O's Sail-Safe policy states they will reimburse quarantine & return costs if a passenger tests positive while aboard, provided proof of negative results in the 48-72 hour window prior to boarding depending on embarkation port.

As for your third paragraph & hypothetical question, I don't believe anyone could answer with any validity and certainly hope I don't get the chance to find out.

13 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Something similar happened to me.  I self tested in my stateroom and it showed I was positive.  However when I called medical and they came to test me, they said I was negative.  However, I had a fever and a sore throat.  Three days later I called them again and I tested positive. My husband did as well.  

We were permitted to remain on the ship and do our entire quarantine on the ship.

After six days we tested negative and we were permitted to leave the room as well as leave the ship.

Terri

• Like 2