Passport Expiration

rostbp

My passport would expire 7 days short of the 6 month suggested expiration date.  I need to use it quite a bit and the timing does not work to renew without the added expedited expense.  How firm are the cruise lines with the 6 month rule?  Do you think I’d be okay being just7 days sort?

11 minutes ago, rostbp said:

My passport would expire 7 days short of the 6 month suggested expiration date.  I need to use it quite a bit and the timing does not work to renew without the added expedited expense.  How firm are the cruise lines with the 6 month rule?  Do you think I’d be okay being just7 days sort?

It depends on the itinerary if you need 6 months. For a North America cruise you don't need 6 months. . For most of Europe you need 3 months. The requirements come from countries, cruise lines just make sure your documents comply. More info is needed than you provided to answer your question. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

I’m okay with my Alaska cruise.  I am considering a southern Caribbean cruse in November.  Before that cruise I will be in Canada and need my passport so I can’t renew it after Alaska cruise.

4 hours ago, rostbp said:

My passport would expire 7 days short of the 6 month suggested expiration date.  I need to use it quite a bit and the timing does not work to renew without the added expedited expense

One way to avoid the "added expedited expense" would be to renew your passport now, and then if your passport doesn't arrive back in time for your Alaska cruise (assuming you are sailing from a US port), use your gov't issued birth certificate and photo ID as your proof of citizenship.

Hope it all works out for you.

There is a way to get a second passport if you need to use your first one in the interim

How to Apply for a Second Passport

You need to submit the following items in order to apply for a second valid passport by mail.

1. Completed Application Form DS-82

Submit Form DS-82: Application for a Passport by Mail if you already have a valid, undamaged passport. If you do not currently possess a valid passport or your passport is significantly damaged then you first need to submit Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport in person. Once the new passport arrives, you can apply for the second passport using Form DS-82.

2. Provide Social Security Number

If you not currently have an SSN then youo should fill in the passport application SSN box #5 with zeros. You MUST also fill out and sign the SSN Declaration and submit it with the passport application. Absence of the form will result in a delay of passport adjudication.

3. Submit Second Passport Request Letter

Second passport request letter. You must also include a statement to the fact that you will immediately report the loss of either passport to Passport Services or the nearest U.S. embassy, consulate or consular agency.

1 hour ago, rostbp said:

I’m okay with my Alaska cruise.  I am considering a southern Caribbean cruse in November.  Before that cruise I will be in Canada and need my passport so I can’t renew it after Alaska cruise.

You likely don't need 6  months but again you don't say the embarkation, debarkation and in between ports. It is like you are begging for half baked answers.  I assume it is a Holland America cruise but maybe I should not. There is a cruise line that requires 6 months no matter what. 

Thanks for all the answers.  Our Alaska cruise is round trip Vancouver.  Another cruise in August/September from New York to Quebec. The cruise in November is to southern Caribbean is round trip Florida on Holland.

25 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I think you'd better check with Canadian authorities regarding the dates, and what else might do. The caribbean wouldn't be a problem ifyou have an original birth certificate with the raised seal.

All OP needs is an  unexpired passport. They don't need 6 months left for those itineraries. All they need is a valid passport. They don't need a birth certificate if their passport has not expired. 

Edited by Charles4515