Carnival Internet plans

ERLEC

Hello,

With the basic wifi plan (social) can I get my emails? That's pretty much all I need. Emails and some text messages to family on land.

Worse case I'll take the value plan. Just don't want to pay extra if it's not needed. 

Last week on Carnival Vista we had the Social Internet package and it worked great. Facebook was fast and we were able to use WhatsApp, FB Messenger, and iMessage. My wife was able to make a video call on WhatsApp and our web-based AOL email even worked. I was also able to stream Amazon music. I was very impressed with the performance of the cheapest plan.

7 hours ago, PlanoTim said:

Last week on Carnival Vista we had the Social Internet package and it worked great. Facebook was fast and we were able to use WhatsApp, FB Messenger, and iMessage. My wife was able to make a video call on WhatsApp and our web-based AOL email even worked. I was also able to stream Amazon music. I was very impressed with the performance of the cheapest plan.

Good to know. Wondering if my gmail would work as well.

15 hours ago, ERLEC said:

Good to know. Wondering if my gmail would work as well.

I never thought to try Gmail.  I also didn't think to try a speedtest.  Guess I was on vacation and my brain didn't think that far.  I think Wikipedia and a couple of other apps that I wouldn't call "social" also might have worked too.  But I didn't really take note of them.  But overall I was impressed with my experience on the Social plan.  Hope it works as well for you.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Lady_Medusa said:

Was it good for uploading photos or videos to Instagram or Facebook?

I had no issues uploading pictures with the social plan.

One thing I will note is that i as still getting notifications from apps that i couldn't connect to with the social plan, like ESPN.

12 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Discord is another one that I would receive notifications, but not able to actually access it.

At least on iPhones - Carnival can't block notifications from working for apps, otherwise you wouldn't get notifications from their own app.

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

At least on iPhones - Carnival can't block notifications from working for apps, otherwise you wouldn't get notifications from their own app.

But how do those apps get the signal to let you know you have messages?

10 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

But how do those apps get the signal to let you know you have messages?

To put it simply. All push notifications on iPhones go through Apple's servers. And since Carnival wants guests to be able to get notifications from their Hub app, they have to allow access to Apple's notification servers. That means notifications (and usually, iMessage) works whether or not you pay for WiFi.