Mykonos & Santorini: I have no idea what to do!

RCCL Fan

We're sailing to Mykonos and Santorini on Odyssey of the Seas

I know zip about either place but am looking for a private tour.

We want a beach/snorkeling day   & we want a day with some countryside tours, scenic photos, maybe a motor scooter drive around.   Food and wine

Which is best for which?   Any companies/tour guides you recommend?  I have a couple gift cards from viator, anyone use them?  suggestions?

I could really use your help. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

We want a beach/snorkeling day   & we want a day with some countryside tours, scenic photos, maybe a motor scooter drive around.   Food and wine

Which is best for which?   Any companies/tour guides you recommend?  I have a couple gift cards from viator, anyone use them?  suggestions?

They have jeep tours in Mykonos which are a lot of fun and they combine your countryside, photos and beach requirements.  They take you around the island and stop at three different beaches for a swim.  There is plenty of time for lunch and swimming at one of the beaches (probably Kalafati). 

https://www.mykonosexclusivetours.com/

https://bluelionsafari.com/

You can probably book something through Viator.  We prefer booking directly with the companies.

For Santorini, there are companies that give private tours.  Most people head straight to Oia which I think is a mistake.  Oia is not going anywhere.  We prefer driving around the island first - Megalochori, Pyrgos, Akrotiri, wineries, etc - and end up in Oia, hopefully for the sunset.  You can also include beach stops at Perissa , Perivolos or Kamari beaches.  As an alternative, there are boat tours to the volcano.  But Santorini deserves some time on land on your first trip. Photo ops are endless.  There are excellent restaurants in Oia and Fira.  We like 1800 in Oia.  But this depends on how long you are in port.

• Like 3

Santorini 

For scenic photos - Oia.

There used to be a company/companies ferrying you from the tender port of Thira to Oia. That will be ideal. From the port of Oia, they provide a bus up to Oia, you'll have free time to wander, and then, included also in the rate, a bus to Thira/Fira.

There is also a cable car up to Thira, and from there you could take a bus/taxi to Oia. Before Covid, there was a huge queue to go up. Depends on how many ships in port.

Mykonos -- I'd do it a "beach" day.

I'd suggest asking on Greece ports forum too, look for reviews from before Covid to give you an idea -- 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/463-greece-ports/

10 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Both ports have both of those things. Both are very picturesque and have great beaches from what I hear. If it were me, I’d make Mykonos your beach day and Santorini your photo/other day.

You’ll want to go to the town of Oia in Santorini. You’ve probably seen pictures from there before and not realized it, it’s a very beautiful town. Any cruise promo picture that shows a whitewashed town on a cliff with blue domed churches in the background is from Oia. Lots and lots of photo stops and pretty places to eat. Then you take transportation (we took a water taxi to Oia and bus to Fira where the port is) to back to the port area, where you take a tram from the top of the mountain to the bottom to the tender back to the ship. I know rental cars and maybe scooters are available, we didn’t go that route. 

We didn’t do the beach in Mykonos but I heard they were fabulous and the water even in the harbor where we docked seemed so blue and clear. There’s also some great photo spots like the windmills and the bay with lots of restaurants and churches whitewashed with a blue dome. 

In both places we didn’t do an organized tour, so I can’t help you there. Viator is more like a middle man, they connect you with the actual local vendors. So I think they’re a big enough company to be reputable, but your experience depends on the vendor. I would say odds are pretty good with most vendors however, sailing in Europe is a much different experience than, say, the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

I need to convey information about the "speedboat" ferry that is in 2 store fronts when you get to Santorini pier... Don't take them... at 30 Euros they falsely advertise the following on a brochure no less.  I did this on April 23rd. 

Speedboat.. not true a slow ferry that waiting 45 minutes for the boat to fill and then took off from the pier to let the " pirate" ship dock then went back to the pier for 4 more people.  Meanwhile we saw plenty of people go up the cable car while we waited $6Euros. Another 25 min later we arrive at a drop off area.

Then the so called bus transfer from the port of Oia was a big steep climb for over 10 minutes, so better be in good health and condition since this is not mentioned on their brochure.

The bus takes off for about 10 minutes and drops you off and you have to figure things out for yourself since the driver doesn't speak English, luckily I saw an organized ship tour group and followed them to where she was leading them and info as to where to find the iconic blue dome church. 

After that you have 1-3 hours where you meet back to drop off point and take the 20 min drive to Fira ( Thira) and dropped off somewhere and you need to figure out for yourself where to go to find the cable car that will take you back to the pier.

This was the worst arrangement I have ever seen and not worth it.. Don't buy it from the storefronts on the pier or anywhere online advertising this 3 points of transportation.. boat, bus to Oia then bus to Thira. Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ISLABONITA said:

need to convey information about the "speedboat" ferry

Thank you so much for updating. Since the "season" just started, I was wondering when we'll see a feedback about the "situation" with the "speedboat"....

3 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

Besides the Cable Car (and the donkeys), is there another way to get either from Oia or Fira to the pier where the tenders are?

Oia is approximately 15 km north from where ships anchor so a car, taxi or bus could be an option to get to Fira.  We've been twice but, with a ship excursion bus.  Oia is beautiful and not to be missed. Many ships will have a tender to drop off their ship excursion guests at the north end of the island to board  buses waiting to go to Oia.  The ships then head south to Fira where they anchor and one must tender to/from the old port area (below Fira). If your day begins in Fira and your destination is Oia, then travel north by car, taxi or bus.

The only way to get from hilltop Fira where taxis, buses can be found to the lower level where ship tenders are located is to take the cable car, donkeys or walk. We've walked (about 600 steps that zig-zag down to old port area - they are very wide and one must navigate by the donkeys) and taken the cable car - just remember the queue for the cable car can be long if there are a few ships in port so don't wait till last minute. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ISLABONITA said:

I need to convey information about the "speedboat" ferry that is in 2 store fronts when you get to Santorini pier... Don't take them... at 30 Euros they falsely advertise the following on a brochure no less.  I did this on April 23rd. 

Speedboat.. not true a slow ferry that waiting 45 minutes for the boat to fill and then took off from the pier to let the " pirate" ship dock then went back to the pier for 4 more people.  Meanwhile we saw plenty of people go up the cable car while we waited $6Euros. Another 25 min later we arrive at a drop off area.

Then the so called bus transfer from the port of Oia was a big steep climb for over 10 minutes, so better be in good health and condition since this is not mentioned on their brochure.

The bus takes off for about 10 minutes and drops you off and you have to figure things out for yourself since the driver doesn't speak English, luckily I saw an organized ship tour group and followed them to where she was leading them and info as to where to find the iconic blue dome church. 

After that you have 1-3 hours where you meet back to drop off point and take the 20 min drive to Fira ( Thira) and dropped off somewhere and you need to figure out for yourself where to go to find the cable car that will take you back to the pier.

This was the worst arrangement I have ever seen and not worth it.. Don't buy it from the storefronts on the pier or anywhere online advertising this 3 points of transportation.. boat, bus to Oia then bus to Thira. Good luck.

Thank you.  Do you recall which company you used?  I believe there are 2. 

45 minutes ago, cookmg40 said:

Thank you.  Do you recall which company you used?  I believe there are 2. 

The 2 store fronts are a family business,  Dakroutis Brothers this is their flyer https://transfer-to-oia.gr/images/flyer_tto.pdf they are on the old port of Fira.  Don't believe the video.. https://transfer-to-oia.gr/

Edited by ISLABONITA
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ISLABONITA said:

The 2 store fronts are a family business,  Dakroutis Brothers this is their flyer https://transfer-to-oia.gr/images/flyer_tto.pdf they are on the old port of Fira.  Don't believe the video.. https://transfer-to-oia.gr/

Thanks again. That is the company I was looking at. I think we will make the decision to use the ferry or cable car once we are on the pier. We are in port with only one other ship that day, so hoping the line for the cable car is not too long. 

1 hour ago, cookmg40 said:

Thanks again. That is the company I was looking at. I think we will make the decision to use the ferry or cable car once we are on the pier. We are in port with only one other ship that day, so hoping the line for the cable car is not too long. 

We also had one other ship in port and the cable line moved quickly, there are other excursions via getyourguide or viator that will take you on the water for a nice view of the island, there are also public buses to take you from Fira to Oia.

Edited by ISLABONITA
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:24 PM, ISLABONITA said:

I need to convey information about the "speedboat" ferry that is in 2 store fronts when you get to Santorini pier... Don't  they falsely advertise the following

Are you saying that when the boat drops you off that there is a steep climb just to get to the bus that takes you up to Oia?  I wonder why none of the many positive reviews of this service never mention that part?  They do warn that there may be delays, but from that point on I have always heard good things.

8 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Are you saying that when the boat drops you off that there is a steep climb just to get to the bus that takes you up to Oia?  I wonder why none of the many positive reviews of this service never mention that part?  They do warn that there may be delays, but from that point on I have always heard good things.

Yes, exactly that !

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a cruise stop at Santorini on May 14th.  The cable car line moved quickly, people running it were doing a good job getting the cars loaded, only issue was paying as so many people either didn't have euros or a credit card so using U.S. dollars was slowing things down.  We made the mistake of using Luxury Transportation Service to take us to Oia, do not do it.  The driver left us stranded in Oia, awful experience making our way back to the port.  There was a public bus that would've taken us and we were sorry we didn't choose it over the car and driver.

We're got our plan for Santorini.  Found a tour guide that will take us around and stay with us all day.

I'm going to book a catamaran/sailboat tour in Mykonos, to take us to one of the coves for swimming.

My trouble now is just picking which company there are so many.

• Like 1