hot glass class on Solstice

I'm really debating on doing it or not....it's "kinda" on sale from what we had paid in OBC the first canceled cruise...but....

where else is that opportunity ever going to present itself?

so my question is...if we book the class for two people-do they each make a piece or is it just one?

You each make a piece. Just be sure that you buy it under one passenger's name when you check out online. 

7E981B69-07C1-42B6-9C2F-8CC610C493CF.jpeg

Solstice, Christmas Day 2019, Tasman Sea

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

Also note that there is an upcharge to make the more complicated pieces (see photos). I think the items marked $75 were covered by your online purchase. 

87013EC5-151A-4625-8549-7CBC83439135.jpeg

A9CB055A-F101-4236-9670-8FE3E7DB7969.jpeg

Solstice, Christmas Day 2019, Tasman Sea

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

I am looking at this as well. The $120 covers the class and an item up to $75? I have to assume if an item is $120 I would be paying $45 extra?  Loved watching the glass shows and I am really looking forward to trying it. 

33 minutes ago, YMMBug said:

I am looking at this as well. The $120 covers the class and an item up to $75? I have to assume if an item is $120 I would be paying $45 extra?  Loved watching the glass shows and I am really looking forward to trying it. 

Yes, I think you have that correct.

I just looked at my email receipt, and I can see that I paid $107 for the Glass Class for 2.  That means it was $53.50 per person.  That was purchased online more than 4 months before the cruise.  I cannot remember if there was a sale on at the time.  

The prices that you see in my two photographs were in a glass case at the Hot Glass show area during our actual Solstice cruise.  The pricing was there to inform passengers who wanted to buy a class on the spot during the cruise (walk up pricing).  

So with with my online purchase of $53.50, we were given a choice of making any of the items that were listed at $75.  If we wanted to make something more expensive, we paid the difference from $75 (so the $100 tumbler that my wife made cost us an additional $25).

David

Edited by mahdnc

6 hours ago, Baxterbunnymom said:

You might be surprised.  We have 12 studios here in Colorado that provide classes:

https://workingtheflame.com/glassblowing-classes-colorado/

There are five in your State of Wisconsin:

https://workingtheflame.com/glass-blowing-classes-wisconsin/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

You might be surprised.  We have 12 studios here in Colorado that provide classes:

https://workingtheflame.com/glassblowing-classes-colorado/

There are five in your State of Wisconsin:

https://workingtheflame.com/glass-blowing-classes-wisconsin/

now that just made things much easier!!  according to your link there is a shop about two blocks from my house! I pass it when I walk to work, never knew he offered classes!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, YMMBug said:

On the Equinox Jan-Feb this year. I booked the Glass Class online prior to the cruise; $120. First day aboard I went to the site by the lawn and booked a time. On the day of, I did a $75 piece, received $45 refund in my on board account. 

It was a little more complicated than this because I tried to add a tip onto the $75 charge, she had to run everything through the register again after cancelling the first transaction, but I am quite sure that the $120 was a placeholder, to be supplemented or reduced depending on what I chose to make.

I am glad I had the chance to do this! I had made a paper weight on another ship a few years ago, have never been totally satisfied with my color choices and the way it came out; this 2nd try was much more successful in my opinion.

Stan

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dgoz said:

So for $107 you can make 1 thing each...or just one together?

The charge is per person. Actually, per piece of glass art you create. You could do as many as you want, if you can find the time slots, your spouse/partner/fellow traveler can likewise do one or more. Each session will cost.

Stan

On 5/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, Baxterbunnymom said:

I'm really debating on doing it or not....it's "kinda" on sale from what we had paid in OBC the first canceled cruise...but....

so my question is...if we book the class for two people-do they each make a piece or is it just one?

As others have said, you each make a piece. It's a lot of fun and certainly one of the most unique things you will ever do on a cruise ship. We did it on the Equinox and I still use my glass for cocktails at home. 🙂 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to do this on Solstice in October and have a lot of OBC to burn so thinking that might be a chance to get some Christmas gifts for family. Is there any option (for a fee) to ship your glass home? I guess logistically that might be hard for the ship. 

Are they packed up in a way that they'll survive in luggage or should I be bringing bubble paper? I guess TSA doesn't take issue to them in your carry on? Can't imagine I'd trust it to make it across the country in a checked bag. 

From our experience aboard Solstice back in Dec 2019, you cannot get the ship to ship your glass works. They really don't have a standard set of packing materials or boxes to give you either. You are pretty much on your own. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:25 AM, mahdnc said:

From our experience aboard Solstice back in Dec 2019, you cannot get the ship to ship your glass works. They really don't have a standard set of packing materials or boxes to give you either. You are pretty much on your own. 

Bummer! Thanks for letting me know. I'll bring a lot of packing material!

16 minutes ago, sbcs5390 said:

Bummer! Thanks for letting me know. I'll bring a lot of packing material!

Yes - and consider making something solid like a paper weight or a heart. DH made a beautiful Wave Vase on Eclipse which we then carried with us for the next 8 days as we toured Ireland after our TA as we were afraid it would break if in our luggage that was handled by the bus driver. And when we won a Ruffled Bowl in the raffle (back in the good old days before Hollywood Hot Glass took over), we hand carried it on the plane home.

Enjoy!

Edited by MarKay525

We have done the hot glass many times.We always carry them back home in our carry ons.One word of caution when going through TSA is they cannot identify that it is glass with the scanning equipment and will pull your bags for additional inspection by hand.Allow extra time for this.

Yes, I think I will plan on putting it in the carry on and be ready for extra scrutiny! Thanks for the tips. Fortunately I am heading back in a single flight right from the pier so the number of hops where I have to be concerned about it is limited. 

My wife made a very nice bowl. Put it in a carry on bag wrapped in clothes with no issues. Went thru security scan with not a word, no problems. She really loved the whole experience and would definitely do it again.

• Thanks 1

My daughter made a soap dispenser on the Eclipse a couple of weeks ago. The only choices for her were all $120. They wrapped hers in bubble wrap and we put it in the checked luggage with extra clothing wrapped around it and it made it home in one piece. I probably wouldn't have done that if it were the flower or something more delicate. Hope you enjoy your class!

20220705_134018.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, gem lady said:

<snip> Do they still have the glass shows?

Sadly, no. The wonderful glass blowing shows presented by the extremely talented artists affiliated with the Corning Museum of Glass are a thing of the past. Hollywood Hot Glass is a revenue generating replacement.

Edited by MarKay525