wifi calling over Azamara internet - possible?

curmudgeon98

It has been several years since we have been on an Azamara ship, and my memory of the level of internet functionality is rather fuzzy.  We'll be on Onward shortly, and while we'd prefer to be disconnected from life back home, we may need to do some (audio-only) calls.  Does this fall into the "not a chance" category, or is it at least somewhat feasible.  Our backup is to try to use local cellular service in/near ports, but I'd really like to avoid the extreme rates of cruise ship cellular.

It’s being reported that the WiFi on Onward is not functioning well and it’s very weak. I think we’d all hoped that with an upgraded vessel it would be far better. On the other ship I’d about 10% success with WiFi calling usually worked on port days if at all. I fear Onward will be as bad had hoped for better.

Do come back and tell us  how it works for you. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, uktog said:

It’s being reported that the WiFi on Onward is not functioning well and it’s very weak. I think we’d all hoped that with an upgraded vessel it would be far better. On the other ship I’d about 10% success with WiFi calling usually worked on port days if at all. I fear Onward will be as bad had hoped for better.

Do come back and tell us  how it works for you. 

I don't have high hopes, but I'll try to remember to post back on this after the cruise.  We were on a Princess ship a couple of months ago, and wifi calling worked pretty well most of the times we needed (It was a new ship, about 2/3 full).  A lot of the problem is that internet traffic has evolved in ways that are very awkward to handle for cruise ship environments (lots of video, monster-sized auto-extending pages, etc).  

We have rented WIFI hot spots. It works incredible well as long as the ship is in sight of land. WIFI on board the Azamara cruises ,we have been on, is spotty to non existent. Most ports have free WIFI and people hung out at the embarkation area, so they can access their email.  Purchasing the WIFI package was a waste of money and time. If a hot spot works, they should just rent those to people who want to be connected. Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

Closing the loop on this, we are on Onward now.  Internet has been pretty usable (480 passengers onboard).  We've found that wifi calling has worked pretty well when we've used it.  Talking to some folks who've been onboard the last two cruises, they've found facetime video calling worked often, but sometimes they drop back to audio only.

• Like 1

For some reason, Azamara does not have good tech support when it comes to WIFI. As we will be near shore, we are planning to rent a hot spot. When we cruised in Japan, we did and it was seamless. Don’t buy the WIFI package on board. It is a waste of money and very frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Four21eyes said:

For some reason, Azamara does not have good tech support when it comes to WIFI. As we will be near shore, we are planning to rent a hot spot. When we cruised in Japan, we did and it was seamless. Don’t buy the WIFI package on board. It is a waste of money and very frustrating. 

Certainly agree it’s not a good idea to buy minutes, as the Wifi is slow. We always buy the full package then we’re not worrying about how many minutes we have used up.

• Like 3