POA- April 30-May 7- Mini Review and ask questions

markkw07

I just returned off the POA sailing, departing April 30 and returning on May 7. 

The ship was at 40% capacity.

There were only 2 bars open, John Adams on Deck 5 and Pool Bar on deck 11, the Champagne Bar on deck 6 opens in the late evenings. The lead bartender told us there is supposed to 64 bartenders total when the ship is at full capacity, our cruise there were only 14 bartenders and at times they were pushed and stretched to the limit. We went 99% to the John Adams bar. They are/were working extremely hard and some people let them know they were not pleased at the amount of time it took to get drinks ordered, I witnessed a few individuals acting very immature and throwing attitude, but the crew handled themselves in a very positive way, so high praises for taking the high road and not getting confrontational. 

This is not a typical cruise, as MOST everyone realizes this ship is under different rules and regulations than any other ship sailing in their fleet. With that being said, there should be the high standards like on any other ship, but with a lack of staffing and NEW(in training) crew members there are times when that is not going to be the case. 

A lot of understanding and patience is needed, the crew is not trying to make excuses or looking for sympathy, but they are simply doing their best with what they have.  Everyone just needs to understand,

that going in, and don't expect that service is going to be at levels on a Caribbean ship, as I did hear chatter about how those ships are at 100% crew capacity and everything is fully opened and why was this ship not at those levels. 

There were only 2 specially restaurants open, Cagney's and Jefferson's Bistro. They are unsure when any of the others will open(at least on my sailing). Make the reservations as soon as you get on board. The prime times go quick!!

Overall, we had a GREAT time on this cruise, regardless of the staffing issues, we enjoyed the ship and the islands. I always say, you can always find something to complain about, but don't let that be the focus of your vacation!

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask, I will respond the best i am able too..

Mahalo:)

• Thanks 1

I did not do any ship sponsored shore excursions. We did not have the greatest weather on our cruise either. A lot were being canceled due to weather. We made the best out of it though! A little rain and

wind cant but a damper on things, it is after all Hawaii!!

We rented a car on each island, We did not rent a car in Kona, as we were just there last year. 

We zip lined in Kauai and went to the Luau, same one the ship goes too, but we booked separately. 

You will need a car to get there, so if you don't have a car booked, or not comfortable taking a uber/taxi ride, then def book through the ship, as that will provide bus transportation. Ubers/taxis are hit or miss on Kauai. We took a taxi from the port to the airport to pick up our rental car. We flagged the taxi down as we were walking out of the port area. Taxis are around, just not as abundant like in Maui/Oahu. 

There are tons of snorkeling/sightseeing excursions... As i stated before, I cannot recommend any of the ship ones. 

There are independent vendors in each port also selling excursions, but everyone has their own level of comfort booking though these vendors. 

There is tons to do!..just not enough time to do everything of course! 

Thanks for your report!  We are sailing on POA in January (and our first time on NCL) so I've been anxiously awaiting some trip reports.  Hopefully staffing will ramp up as the year goes on.  I understand new staff and training, but maybe NCL shouldn't be promoting the drink package and specialty dining if they can't deliver.  

• Like 1

Nope, I worked on POA.  We were fully staffed, and there were about 20 bartenders at any given time.  About 30 bar servers.  We got paid minimum wage, plus overtime.  That is why the cruise costs so much more... it is the only USA flagged ship, and it must have 75 percent American crew.  So Norwegian can't dip into its pool of extremely underpaid Filipino workers to staff the ship.  And without NCL raising the wages, they aren't competitive with bars and restaurants who are paying their GOOD bartenders on land anywhere between $15-20 per hour, plus tips.  The training and background checks to work on this ship takes a LONG time, and it is very intense.  Once workers are onboard, they are given one day to acclimate to living onboard.  ONE DAY.  After that, any mistakes are grounds for termination, and some departments are sadly lacking in management experience.

6 hours ago, markkw07 said:

I did not do any ship sponsored shore excursions. We did not have the greatest weather on our cruise either. A lot were being canceled due to weather. We made the best out of it though! A little rain and

wind cant but a damper on things, it is after all Hawaii!!

We rented a car on each island, We did not rent a car in Kona, as we were just there last year. 

We zip lined in Kauai and went to the Luau, same one the ship goes too, but we booked separately. 

You will need a car to get there, so if you don't have a car booked, or not comfortable taking a uber/taxi ride, then def book through the ship, as that will provide bus transportation. Ubers/taxis are hit or miss on Kauai. We took a taxi from the port to the airport to pick up our rental car. We flagged the taxi down as we were walking out of the port area. Taxis are around, just not as abundant like in Maui/Oahu. 

There are tons of snorkeling/sightseeing excursions... As i stated before, I cannot recommend any of the ship ones. 

There are independent vendors in each port also selling excursions, but everyone has their own level of comfort booking though these vendors. 

There is tons to do!..just not enough time to do everything of course! 

How much was the taxi to and from the airport to collect your car rental on Kauai?

I think we're going to be renting a car ourselves as it just seems like a better option.

Thanks very much for the report. My family and I are on POA in just over a week (5/21 sailing.) I was very excited but my enthusiasm is being tempered by several reports of lack of service. I firmly believe the old adage that you get what you pay for and I paid top dollar for this cruise so I have lofty expectations. If NCL is making compromises, I understand but perhaps they should pass the savings along to passengers (that will never happen...) anyway I'm hopeful it keeps getting better and hopefully this lives up to my expectations. 

For the OP, are you very familiar with HI? I can't believe you didn't do ship sponsored excursions. We have only booked NCL excursions (and a slew of them). I'm wondering if it's easy to do it on your own or if you are just more savvy than the average bear...

Hello, all:  I'm sailing May 28 and have asked this question on other threads, but gotten no response.  Is NCL doing Covid testing at the cruise terminal and, if so, how much is it ?  I do not have a smart phone and would prefer to get tested there or someplace local , since we are flying in 3 days prior.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.  I've called NCL, but they did not get back to me.  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, MacII said:

We have only booked NCL excursions (and a slew of them). I'm wondering if it's easy to do it on your own or if you are just more savvy than the average bear...

The last time in Hawaii pre-COVID, we booked all of our excursions through local channels and also from recommendations from others doing the same,.We had a great time! We only had one huge miss on a day tour through Viator and they took care of it to our satisfaction. We loved the small groups of 6-8 people. On Maui we walked to the bus station and took the bus to the aquarium for a behind the scenes tour (traveling with my granddaughter but I think I loved it more). We found locals to be very friendly and happy to give us directions. We also book local companies on other cruises as well though the last three post-COVID restrictions in back to sailing, we booked through the ship except Catalina.

Dear Mark:

Thank you for your clear and concise review of your POA cruise.  We are on the May 28 cruise (and pre  cruise tour) and are very interested in your comments on food quality in the two main Dining Rooms and in the two  (open ) Specialty restaurants and the Buffet.  Any comments on the "shows" would also be welcomed.

Joel Barry

21 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Thanks for your report!  We are sailing on POA in January (and our first time on NCL) so I've been anxiously awaiting some trip reports.  Hopefully staffing will ramp up as the year goes on.  I understand new staff and training, but maybe NCL shouldn't be promoting the drink package and specialty dining if they can't deliver.  

Hi Paula,

I would tend to agree with you, but i guess in NCLs defense, you are able to get drinks, it may just take a little longer than usual at peak times. The specialty dining is an issue, since most of us do have the included 2 dining package, but as of now, there are only the 2 specialty  restaurants open, so the choices are either eating at the same restaurant twice or like what we did, we ate at Cagney's 1 night and Jefferson's the other night. That obviously is up to each individual, although there were some grumblings that they did not care for either restaurant, for whatever reasons, so I'm not sure, how that was dealt with. I don't believe they were issuing any credits/refunds, if  it was the "included 2 specialty dinning package"  

But WE all hope the capacity limits are eased and everything gets back to normal and at 100% on down the line 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, butch5 said:

Curious where you parked your rental car for the overnights in Maui and Kauai?

Hi..

This is all "AT YOUR OWN RISK" parking. We did not park in official paid overnight parking areas. Everyone has their own comfort level, so you have to do what you are comfortable with. 

In Maui, there is a small “parking area” 2 streets over from the port entrance. This will make sense when you see how you exit and enter the port. The security guard told us over by the beach is good. 

The area is right across from a used car lot on the corner. There were a few others cars parked there as well. There are no signs saying you Can't park there, nor where there are signs saying you can. So this is where I make the disclaimer about parking at your own risk. We did and the car was fine, no tickets and was there the next morning. 🙂 The guard said the shopping center across the street is not a good idea. There is tons of parking, but just never know, he wouldn't do it. So we def took his advice, even though it's very tempting. 

In Kauai, there is a hotel and a few residential houses right across the main road as you exit the port. Again, it will make sense once you see it. We parked across the street from the residential houses, not in the hotel parking lot, there are a few parallel spaces next to the field. Again, other cars were parked there and there were NO signs saying it was private parking or residential parking only. Some parked along the main road as you exit the port. I wouldn't park in the gym parking or the other business that is on the right as you exit the port. No tickets and the car was there the next morning. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WanderlustJourney said:

How much was the taxi to and from the airport to collect your car rental on Kauai?

I think we're going to be renting a car ourselves as it just seems like a better option.

Hi...

If you are able to get an Uber, then it was showing $12 at that time port- airport, but you know Uber prices fluctuate based on demand. The taxi was only $15 so not that much more, and he dropped us off right in front of the Hertz rental car lot. Your own rental car is the way to go, then you can explore the island on your own without having any time limitations. Gas was running on avg around $5.25, we are from California, so we're not shocked by that at all! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, markkw07 said:

Hi..

This is all "AT YOUR OWN RISK" parking. We did not park in official paid overnight parking areas. Everyone has their own comfort level, so you have to do what you are comfortable with. 

In Maui, there is a small “parking area” 2 streets over from the port entrance. This will make sense when you see how you exit and enter the port.

To those who will be leaving the POA in the middle of the night to drive to Haleakala for sunrise, do know after dark the areas around the ship become home for transients and people you really don't want to run into on a dark street.  Walking to wherever you parked your car is simply not safe.

7 hours ago, MacII said:

Thanks very much for the report. My family and I are on POA in just over a week (5/21 sailing.) I was very excited but my enthusiasm is being tempered by several reports of lack of service. I firmly believe the old adage that you get what you pay for and I paid top dollar for this cruise so I have lofty expectations. If NCL is making compromises, I understand but perhaps they should pass the savings along to passengers (that will never happen...) anyway I'm hopeful it keeps getting better and hopefully this lives up to my expectations. 

For the OP, are you very familiar with HI? I can't believe you didn't do ship sponsored excursions. We have only booked NCL excursions (and a slew of them). I'm wondering if it's easy to do it on your own or if you are just more savvy than the average bear...

Hi..

I think it's a matter of how comfortable you are on how you plan and do excursions. I have always been one to book outside the cruise sponsored excursions, just a matter of preference. I tend to do a lot of research on the other vendors offering excursions, so I'm not booking them blindly without doing some homework and reading reviews on these vendors and reviews from the public on the various tours. But, with an outside vendor,  it does take a lot more planning and most of the time transportation is not included to where the tour starts.

Cruise line sponsored tours are very easy, you book, and they take care of the rest, where to meet...transportation...all of that....how long you have...and bring you back....so for some, that is the peace of mind they want and need...dont have to worry about anything. 

So it's just a matter of preference and there also can be some cost saving associated with booking with an outside vendor, but again that depends on the individual comfort level with doing it this way. Pros and Cons with both as with everything.....

11 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

To those who will be leaving the POA in the middle of the night to drive to Haleakala for sunrise, do know after dark the areas around the ship become home for transients and people you really don't want to run into on a dark street.  Walking to wherever you parked your car is simply not safe.

We did not witness any transient people around the port area or the area where we parked the car, as I explained above. That does not mean they are not around or can be around these areas. We walked back to the ship after dinner at Mama's Fish House, if you don't know what that is, you're missing out. It was around 10pm and no issues. 

2 hours ago, markkw07 said:

We walked back to the ship after dinner at Mama's Fish House, if you don't know what that is, you're missing out. It was around 10pm and no issues. 

About how far is Mama’s from the ship? Walkable?

Thank you!

Edited by MacII

2 hours ago, markkw07 said:

We did not witness any transient people around the port area or the area where we parked the car, as I explained above. That does not mean they are not around or can be around these areas. We walked back to the ship after dinner at Mama's Fish House, if you don't know what that is, you're missing out. It was around 10pm and no issues. 

By "the middle of the night" we meant around 3 a.m. - not 10 p.m.  

Yes, we are well familiar with Mama's Fish House.  Who isn't?  We aren't big on tourist places however, so we rarely get out there.  Floyd and Doris established quite a fan club with the place though.

By "We walked back to the ship..." we trust you mean from where you parked and not Mama's, as the restaurant is almost nine miles from the dock.

1 minute ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

By "We walked back to the ship..." we trust you mean from where you parked and not Mama's, as the restaurant is almost nine miles from the dock.

Rats! I was hoping he meant walking from Mama’s…oh well. Are ride share companies active near the port?