Royal's 1st Day Itinerary in Italy

How does the first day work on Royal when embarking in Ravenna? The itinerary says Venice day one and two. After everyone gets on the ship in Ravenna, does it head up to Venice and let passengers off?

The cruise ships are no longer allowed in Venice proper.   If you have an overnight in Ravenna, the ship will stay there until departure on the second day.  You are free to come and go.   There should be excursions offered for day 2 that would include transportation to Venice.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, robsmom said:

The cruise ships are no longer allowed in Venice proper.   If you have an overnight in Ravenna, the ship will stay there until departure on the second day.  You are free to come and go.   There should be excursions offered for day 2 that would include transportation to Venice.   

Thank you! I booked this cruise on a whim without any research so I have a lot of planning to do!

11 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

Thank you! I booked this cruise on a whim without any research so I have a lot of planning to do!

I would fly into Venice, spend a few days there and then catch the RCI shuttle $45pp down to Ravenna as late as you can . Or the train is about €20.  As said ^^ it is a long drive.
You won’t be able to do the checkin and then “pop” back out into Venice. I would then either plan on going to Bologna or Ravenna (both stunning cities) on day 2. 

• Like 2

How late can we check in on day one? 

Will there be transfers available day one?

So far my plan is to fly into Venice and spend a couple days there, stay in Venice as long as we can on day one, then go to Ravenna that evening to check in. Day two we'll stay in Ravenna and explore there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

How late can we check in on day one? 

Probably at any time, but you should make an effort to get there before the regular terminal check in staff leave for the day, like maybe 4PM?

I am currently on the Brilliance cruise out of Ravenna.  We stayed in Bologna the night before the cruise and it was another 20 minutes to the port the following day.  We are on a B2B so we will be on here next week. Lots of passengers have been talking about getting to the port from the Venice airport. They have told us that it takes 3-1/2 hours.  Make sure to allow a lot of time.