Bank of America credit card points

7 minutes ago, flamingos said:

So your concern is that you cannot use the points for anything besides RCI?  That's why we want one.  

The card itself, the points system, those are adequate?

🙂

It's really just 2 pts per $ spend on Royal with no annual fee. I wouldn't consider "switching" to the card, but I do have one. But if you have any double pts card (like Citi Double Cash), you can opt for cash checks that are same as OBC, so there's no difference to me. Also, other cards may have additional perks.

I went to an event onboard that was for card holders only...that's been about the only perk I couldn't get with another credit card and haven't seen that event since 2019.

So in my opinion - NO - the Royal credit card is not worth being your daily usage card at all. If you don't mind the acct being open in your name, grab it for the one time $250 bonus then store it away somewhere?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, robmtx said:

It's really just 2 pts per $ spend on Royal with no annual fee. I wouldn't consider "switching" to the card, but I do have one. But if you have any double pts card (like Citi Double Cash), you can opt for cash checks that are same as OBC, so there's no difference to me. Also, other cards may have additional perks.

I went to an event onboard that was for card holders only...that's been about the only perk I couldn't get with another credit card and haven't seen that event since 2019.

So in my opinion - NO - the Royal credit card is not worth being your daily usage card at all. If you don't mind the acct being open in your name, grab it for the one time $250 bonus then store it away somewhere?

Agree. It's not as rewarding as many other cards. We don't use ours except for paying off a cruise and using it while on board. I used to use a Delta card when I was employed and travelling, now I use a hotel reward card.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, 2chiefs said:

Agree. It's not as rewarding as many other cards. We don't use ours except for paying off a cruise and using it while on board. I used to use a Delta card when I was employed and travelling, now I use a hotel reward card.

Same -- well, not the Delta card, but we use our BOA Visa pretty much only for cruises.  I also use it at the hairdresser and a couple other places where they don't accept Discover.  We tend to save up our Discover card points and use them for restaurant gift cards for our parents' Christmas gift.  This gives us less OBC but more money overall, which is smarter.  

On 9/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, sailor05 said:

For our cruise next month I redeemed points yesterday and they showed up today in our planner. That's the fastest ever!

What's the date of the cruise.  We don't leave until October 30th, so just wondering if it's in a certain time period, someone mentioned two weeks or so.  Thanks!

For anyone who may run into this issue, I did end up calling the number stated earlier in the thread.  No hold time before a rep answered, and it took about 10 minutes on the phone and they had the OBC applied and I was able to see it before the phone call ended.  So pretty easy to resolve.  Possibly it is a time period thing and it would have shown up a few weeks before the cruise, who knows.  But now i don't have to worry about it.  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Jumping on this old thread for a related question.  We haven’t cruised since OCT ‘19 and I want to confirm what I think we did in the past.  If we DONT prepay gratuities and redeem the OBC from BOA, the daily gratuities will be paid by the OBC.  True?

45 minutes ago, ll6747 said:

Jumping on this old thread for a related question.  We haven’t cruised since OCT ‘19 and I want to confirm what I think we did in the past.  If we DONT prepay gratuities and redeem the OBC from BOA, the daily gratuities will be paid by the OBC.  True?

Yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ll6747 said:

You will be able to watch your OBC slowly dwindle away as your gratuities are applied every day.

• Haha 1