Preboarding Covid Testing in San Juan

mom2two2

Hi Everyone - long time no research with you 🙂

Our last cruise was right before the pandemic hit (boy did we have no idea what was coming that New Year's trip!).  My husband and I are considering a trip over the winter  of 2023 (Jan or Feb) to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.  We are not 100% sure yet but are doing some digging to see if we are ok to go now.

For those of you who have been boarding in San Juan, Puerto Rico - I see that a negative covid test result taken no more than 2 days prior to boarding is needed.  Since we are coming (by car) from Canada into the USA and then by plane into San Juan I think we will likely go down a couple days earlier.  We will need to complete the test while we are in San Juan and had a couple questions.

1. Where do you get your test done while in San Juan?

2. Can you book ahead as an appointment so we feel more sure we will be able to get tested?

3. What are the costs?

4. How long does it take to get your results back and in what form do they come?

I have read the FAQ page on RCL's site but just want to make sure that I fully understand as the logistics.

TIA

mom2two2

5 minutes ago, mom2two2 said:

I have read the FAQ page on RCL's site but just want to make sure that I fully understand as the logistics.

Those FAQs can and will likely change between now and then - don’t base your decision on today’s rules. Be very flexible, book refundable  and be ready for changes. 

26 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Those FAQs can and will likely change between now and then - don’t base your decision on today’s rules. Be very flexible, book refundable  and be ready for changes. 

Yes, while I certainly understand that things can (and likely will 10 times) change, I am kind of looking for what the state is of things now.  Might ease up by 2023, might get worse, I won't even guess.  I am interested in knowing how easy it is getting the tests etc for those sailing out of San Juan.  Just looking for a little bit of an idea what process has been like.

"How much does it cost" really can't be answered that far in advance as who knows how that'll all shake out by then.

But there are Walgreens pharmacies and likely others where you could schedule your test in advance and get results within a couple hours.

I believe most cruise lines now accept the proctored Antigen tests that you can do yourself.  Having this knowledge, feel comfortable this far out knowing you have an obvious option in case testing is a challenge that time of year or drastically changes.  I believe a 2 pack is like $70 and a 3 pack is $100.  You can do this in your hotel room in San Juan if you want to.

But like someone else mentioned, these rules will more than likely change by the time you cruise, either for better or worse, depending on changes in the pandemic.  When I cruised out of San Juan Xmas 2021, it was mandatory testing on embarkation day and we only needed to test pre cruise if we wanted to know our status prior to flying out and to help get funds back if we tested positive the day of.

Currently Walgreens still does Covid testing in San Juan, and there are tons of them, but again availability and cost could definitely change by the time you cruise.

Either way, I highly suggest testing before you fly.  That is a very long trip to take just to show up in San Juan and then test positive.  Good to have a heads up before you leave, just in case.

24 minutes ago, kdawg954 said:

Currently Walgreens still does Covid testing in San Juan

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

But there are Walgreens pharmacies and likely others where you could schedule your test in advance and get results within a couple hours.

Walgreens only does drive-thru testing...and  not just in San Juan, but everywhere per their website.

So unless the OP has a car or can find an Uber or taxi willing to take them for a test Walgreens isn't a reasonable option.

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Walgreens only does drive-thru testing...and  not just in San Juan, but everywhere per their website.

So unless the OP has a car or can find an Uber or taxi willing to take them for a test Walgreens isn't a reasonable option.

Good point, a rental would be best, but there is success being reported on Reddit with folks using Uber to go to the drive thru for their appointment.  Obviously you wanna explain your intentions to your Uber driver (testing as a pre cruise requirement . . . not that you think you have Covid) and give him a nice tip and I think he certainly would have no issues obliging.  Heck maybe you get the driver to pick you up and take you to the port as well when its time to cruise.

I did the test in May at Walgreens, I think it literally took 3 minutes for the entire process and results back in 90 minutes. 

Best option IMO if the process remains the same by the time the OP cruises.

Edited by kdawg954

We booked a backup covid test through RCI for San Juan $105.00pp we ended up doing our proctored test very early at home before our flight and cancelled the San Juan port terminal appointment.