Travel insurance Nationwide Building Society Flex Plus

Feelgood 50

Hi everyone 

We are going on P&O Iona in July.  We have Nationwide Flex Plus which covers us for travel insurance.  Just wondering how we can have this confirmed at Embarkation.  As we have never received a policy . Sorry to ask

Many thanks

I have travel insurance with Nationwide Flex Plus but had to buy another insurance with Cover For You for my trip in Aug because my Nationwide policy doesn't cover cruise. Recently I got a letter from Nationwide listing all the benefit with Flex Plus, do you think you can pop into your local branch to ask them about a copy?

We also have Flex Account travel insurance. It covers cruise travel. For an extra £20 each we were able to purchase additional cruise cover. You can claim for various situations such as missing the ship following an excursion. Unfortunately Nationwide will only offer cover to Flex Plus accounts after the end of September. 

We have just transferred our current account to Nationwide Flexplus Account to take advantage of worldwide travel insurance which does cover for cruises and for an extra supplement of £40 covers for cabin confinement, missed ports and insurance covers all members of family. As previously said you can print off insurance details on the website as stated.  

In response to a previous enquiry on another thread recently, I researched the cruise cover on the Flexplus policy. 

I've had a look at the policy and it seems cruise cover is included:

This policy provides cover for cruise trips. If you want to extend the cover provided as standard you can buy a Cruise Upgrade. 

The enhanced cover is the additional  £40 premium.  It covers both of you if it is a joint account.  That provides the missed port cover as described earlier also confinement to your cabin:

Confined to cabin
We will pay £150 for each insured person every 24 hours up to a total of £1,500 if you have been ordered to stay in your cabin by the medical officer.

P. S. I've checked my documentation and last year we received a postal confirmation of the Travel Insurance Schedule (2 pages) identifying us by name, policy number and included upgrades such as age extension, declared medical conditions and the enhanced cruise cover as above.  I've just renewed so am expecting a new schedule to be posted to me. 

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We also have Flex Account travel insurance. It covers cruise travel. For an extra £20 each we were able to purchase additional cruise cover. You can claim for various situations such as missing the ship following an excursion. Unfortunately Nationwide will only offer cover to Flex Plus accounts after the end of September. 

Could you explain this please?  Are they stopping cover for new customers or not renewing for existing after September?  That will be a blow if so. 

47 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Unfortunately it applies to all standard Flex Accounts. If you want insurance cover included you need to upgrade to a Flex Plus Account. 

Oh I understand.  I'd interpreted it as a change in the cover for Flexplus accounts after September.  That's a relief.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Feelgood 50 said:

Good Morning everyone.   Thank you all so much for all of the useful information.   

This thread reminded me that although I renewed a couple of weeks ago I hadn't had anything through the post.  So I've just rung up NW to say I'd renewed our policy and to ask if I might expect a paper copy of the Schedule through the post.  They arranged to send this confirmation to me (I might get 2 now!) but I will feel better having something 'official' in my hand. 

The one I had last year was headed:

Nationwide Building Society Travel Insurance schedule from 00/00/2021 to 00/00/2022 (for the relevant period) 

It identifies you by name with upgrades and medical declaration. 

If you haven't had one yet, you might like to ring too and ask for the policy schedule to be sent to you just for peace of mind. 

Interesting. If I upgrade my basic  account to the bells and whistles plus account it will cost me £13pm. Allow for a couple of insurance upgrades and it will still be under £200pa.

The absolute cheapest worldwide cruise cover I can get to meet my needs is £510pa. Some firms are quoting in excess of £2000.

Funny that one company is way WAY cheaper if you take out an annual policy as opposed to a single trip one???

Furthere enquiries me thinks!