Clothes Question

Gray Lady

We have never sailed to Alaska before. I just wanted to know, for our cruise at the end of June, if it is too cold to bring a fancy pair of slack capris to wear to dinner. I plan on bringing a sweater to wear over sleeveless dinner tops, but didn’t know if my legs will get too cold wearing capris. I also plan to bring slacks to wear for dinner along with a few dresses. I will probably bring pantyhose to wear with the dresses. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

About 2 weeks before you sail you should be able to check the weather forecast. It won't be perfect but will give you a idea of what to expect. And yes- woldridge is correct that the inside of the ship will be a comfortable temperature.

If you are seated in a high traffic area near moving doors entry exit to the dining area

there may be drafty air moments - suggest taking that wrap as a precaution.

The same for a theatre venue - bars - and other areas where folks stir up the air currents.

The interior of the ship while at a habitable temperature going between areas of 

cooling/heating could be an issue - how long ? Be prepared for it bring that wrap/cover.

14 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

If you are seated in a high traffic area near moving doors entry exit to the dining area

there may be drafty air moments - suggest taking that wrap as a precaution.

The same for a theatre venue - bars - and other areas where folks stir up the air currents.

The interior of the ship while at a habitable temperature going between areas of 

cooling/heating could be an issue - how long ? Be prepared for it bring that wrap/cover.

Thank you. I am going to bring a sweater and a light wrap. 

Gray Lady:  The interior ship temperature will not be any cooler than normal.  That being said I often find ships to be a little over air conditioned.  

But the purpose of my post is to voice the opinion that on Alaska cruise itineraries folks dress more casually than you will find on other itineraries on the same cruise line.  Even though we live in the Alaska we have done at least seven Alaska cruises, and the only itinerary which even came close to being as causal in dress was an Antarctic cruise.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Gray Lady:  The interior ship temperature will not be any cooler than normal.  That being said I often find ships to be a little over air conditioned.  

But the purpose of my post is to voice the opinion that on Alaska cruise itineraries folks dress more casually than you will find on other itineraries on the same cruise line.  Even though we live in the Alaska we have done at least seven Alaska cruises, and the only itinerary which even came close to being as causal in dress was an Antarctic cruise.

Is this true for formal nights also?  Do most men wear suits/tuxes, or not?

TIA.

Gray Lady:  I, personally, would not take capris to wear on an Alaska cruise,  cute as they might be.  The ship public areas are always cooler than I find comfortable.  And your party may decide to walk out on deck during the evening as well and need the extra warmth.

linaka625:  I can only speak for myself, but we do not pack the extra suitcase for formal clothes on an Alaska cruise.  I have read many threads stating the dress code is more relaxed in Alaska.  My husband and I both will wear a nice pair of slacks and a nicer shirt for him and dressier top for me.   

Edited by GloriaF

12 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

Gray Lady:  I, personally, would not take capris to wear on an Alaska cruise,  cute as they might be.  The ship public areas are always cooler than I find comfortable.  And your party may decide to walk out on deck during the evening as well and need the extra warmth.

linaka625:  I can only speak for myself, but we do not pack the extra suitcase for formal clothes on an Alaska cruise.  I have read many threads stating the dress code is more relaxed in Alaska.  My husband and I both will wear a nice pair of slacks and a nicer shirt for him and dressier top for me.   

Thank you for your insight. I will nix the capris, make sure I have a sweater (dressier…going with a black theme), take some basic slacks with nicer tops, and a simple dress or two. We will pack a suitcase with these “dressier” clothes because we are doing a land tour first. I am guessing that the dress in the buffet is just maybe jeans??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, linaka625 said:

Is this true for formal nights also?  Do most men wear suits/tuxes, or not?

TIA.

My experience is very few tuxes on the formal or dressier nights.  On Alaska itineraries my husband doesn't bother to even pack a suit -- just a sports coat to wear with nice pants and a button-down shirt.

2 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

........ I am guessing that the dress in the buffet is just maybe jeans??

The normal wear in the buffet will definitely be jeans.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

My experience is very few tuxes on the formal or dressier nights.  On Alaska itineraries my husband doesn't bother to even pack a suit -- just a sports coat to wear with nice pants and a button-down shirt.

The normal wear in the buffet will definitely be jeans.

Thank you. My hubbie will do the same. I am now packing less!

But- you certainly CAN get a bit dressier for whatever your cruiseline calls their formal night. A couple of years back my sister and I cruised to Alaska and she NEVER has the chance to dress up. So- long dresses it was. Don't remember more than perhaps 1 or 2 tuxes but a few other ladies in dressier clothes. Sometimes it is just nice to do it up- and so don't be put off by the talk of the usual casual wear if you want to be fancy. They let you eat in the dining room even if you make make everyone else look like slobs. 🤭

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

But- you certainly CAN get a bit dressier for whatever your cruiseline calls their formal night. A couple of years back my sister and I cruised to Alaska and she NEVER has the chance to dress up. So- long dresses it was. Don't remember more than perhaps 1 or 2 tuxes but a few other ladies in dressier clothes. Sometimes it is just nice to do it up- and so don't be put off by the talk of the usual casual wear if you want to be fancy. They let you eat in the dining room even if you make make everyone else look like slobs. 🤭

Thanks. I have pulled out all my tops with “sparkles” that I never get to wear. They all pair with black slacks. Just want to feel a few times that I am not at Applebee’s, but maybe in the big city! 

I assume that when you say you are going to bring a sweater and light wrap that those are for onboard. You will probably need layers for outside- especially if you are going out to any glaciers or on the water in a smallish boat. It can get quite chilly- in fact, it can get down right cold even in late June. We have had both very chilly bundle up weather and very warm why didn't I pack a few short sleeved teeshirts weather. Rather like Colorado where one day it will be 89 degrees and the next day we have a late spring snowstorm with hard freezes.  

8 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

I assume that when you say you are going to bring a sweater and light wrap that those are for onboard. You will probably need layers for outside- especially if you are going out to any glaciers or on the water in a smallish boat. It can get quite chilly- in fact, it can get down right cold even in late June. We have had both very chilly bundle up weather and very warm why didn't I pack a few short sleeved teeshirts weather. Rather like Colorado where one day it will be 89 degrees and the next day we have a late spring snowstorm with hard freezes.  

Yes, the light things are for dinners on the ship. I have a vest, long underwear, sweatshirts, tees, jacket, turtlenecks, and raincoat. I am sure I am over packing, but since we have never went, I don’t want to get caught without things. We are doing 7 days on land before the cruise, and that should be all casual. So many things to pack and consider for 14 unknown days.

Consider using any laundry cleaning services while on the tour or on board the ship.

Basically a 14 day trip - plan on 7 days of clothing wash and repeat -

Leave the non-essentials (kitchen sink etc.) home pack only what you really need.

Easy to say that - but there are shops on the ship as well as port calls to supplement

any last minute weather changes - also consider if traveling by air the baggage fees -

keep the weight down as well as the number of checked bags. 

Just now, don't-use-real-name said:

Consider using any laundry cleaning services while on the tour or on board the ship.

Basically a 14 day trip - plan on 7 days of clothing wash and repeat -

Leave the non-essentials (kitchen sink etc.) home pack only what you really need.

Easy to say that - but there are shops on the ship as well as port calls to supplement

any last minute weather changes - also consider if traveling by air the baggage fees -

keep the weight down as well as the number of checked bags. 

Thank you. They do have a laundry package on board the ship which we will purchase for $49. I did buy a luggage scale to help. They will store our “cruise” suitcase for us while on land. That means 3 suitcases, and under 50 pounds. We know we have to pay for luggage, so factored that in. It helps that we bought our airfare last year. It would sure be nice if Southwest flew to Alaska and Canada. 

• Like 1

Just remember that nobody but you will know if you have worn the same pants 4 days in a row out to tramp around. And even if they did- nobody would care! I would be sure to check out the weather before you finish packing- and adjust accordingly. Almost worse than finding you need to pile on many layers is discovering that it will be 85 degrees someplace and you have no warm weather clothes. Take it from someone who found themself in that situation- tourist tee shirts are generally either very expensive or really tacky. 

• Like 1

Well, the older we get, the less we feel like shlepping around tons of luggage! I would agree that one or two pairs of dress slacks with silky glitzy tops with a nice sweater is perfect. I would leave the dresses (and pantyhose) at home. Also, I take one hoody, one jacket, one raincoat for outside. Gloves and hat come too. Yes, you can have laundry done but I only send sturdy clothes. They use hot dryers that can be tough on tops and bras. Hand washing might be better. Mary PS: consider packing cubes and compression bags.

Edited by libtrek

4 hours ago, libtrek said:

Well, the older we get, the less we feel like shlepping around tons of luggage! I would agree that one or two pairs of dress slacks with silky glitzy tops with a nice sweater is perfect. I would leave the dresses (and pantyhose) at home. Also, I take one hoody, one jacket, one raincoat for outside. Gloves and hat come too. Yes, you can have laundry done but I only send sturdy clothes. They use hot dryers that can be tough on tops and bras. Hand washing might be better. Mary PS: consider packing cubes and compression bags.

Thank you for the tips. I am going to use packing cubes for the first time. I have definitely pared down my luggage from when I was younger. I wouldn’t think of sending my bras and panties to their laundry. I have lightweight tees to wear under my shirts and hoodies. That way I can wear my outerwear more days. Hubby will probably need to use the laundry more than me. I have no problem wearing my jeans for three or four days if I don’t spill on them. If I take them off and they don’t stand up by themselves, they are good to go for another day…lol! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Planning a couple layers can work wonders for staying warm and extending what you bring...

As a guy, I've always packed enough t-shirts and boxers to last the week.  The rest tend to get recycled thru the week.  My wife has slowly started doing the same... when we first started cruising, she needed a suitcase just for her shoes.  Now she and our daughter are down to one bag each plus a shared bag.

For what it's worth, we have decided to avoid MDR on formal nights, although we will wear passable clothing for the evening.  I have everything packed in a 20" roller and will carry it on, plus a medium sized nylon bag that I'm calling my personal item for this trip.  We are elite, and have free laundry but doubt I use it much for a 7 day cruise, bc laundry turnaround is 2-3 days.  I'm traveling in a pair of black yoga pants for comfort, wearing my bulky sneakers and also wearing liner of waterproof coat (made to be worn separately)to save room in the bag as well as warmth on the long flight.

It will probably be 90 F when we board, so it has taken considerable thought to think cold.  The average temps for June in Alaska are 60s/40s with good possibility of rain during the week.  That is pretty much our winter temps, so I packed what I normally wear in the winter.

Edited by GloriaF

In Alaska it really won't be necessary to avoid the MDR on virtually any cruise ship. Alaska is very casual and very few will be wearing anything remotely formal. The majority of people will be dressed exactly as they are every other night. 

• Like 1