Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

12 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

My dad was the best tool and die guy around and was fabricating parts before CAD or CAM was invented.  And, debating with Chief on anything ship related will just make you look silly.  

If you knew how many ships my family built and what they did for the WWII effort, and what kind of historical documents and tools of the trade I have in my closet, then you would both understand.

Edited by JRG

11 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I see you have given up on your a bird flew in the funnel theory. I guess if you throw enough stuff against the wall something is bound to stick.

Meh, it's the same as anyone else is doing at this point. We are all speculating, no one really knows the true extent of the damages, repair plan, costs, time-frames, future potential problems, or the inside financials or fiscal particulars. It's what makes it interesting. 😁  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JRG said:

Where's the spark,   engine don't chunk fireballs up the chute to ignite soot downstream the combustion chambers and exhaust manifolds. 

I'll have to remember that, the next time the duty engineer fails to call the bridge when they do the daily turbocharger cleaning, blasting ground walnut shells into the turbocharger (what, never heard of it?  join the maritime industry), and the wind carries the embers over the stern and catches either the trash barrel, the mooring line (it only smolders, so no big deal), or the shrink wrap that the yachts we were carrying were wrapped in, on fire.  I also remember once going under the Key Bridge in Baltimore, after doing a repair on a waste heat boiler tube, and the Captain calling to complain that the sparks were going up through the grating roadway and stopping traffic.  Nope, no sparks here.  Try not to confuse your shade tree auto mechanics with marine engineering.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I had an item made many times about the size of one side of the funnel. Fiberglass and it had 4 sections to the mold. Those 4 sections bolted together on the outside of the mold. The product came out as one piece after the mold was unbolted. Takes one day to make. Second day to full cure. Gel coat color is sprayed down first. Fiberglass is either put down with a chopper gun or had laid. So if they do have the mold and know what they are doing. No big deal.

Yes, I've seen that type of construction, but I think that with all the stuff going into that "wing" that they may make it in a couple of pieces.  Could be either way.

It seems easier to just put everybodys guess into the form of a horse race and just reason out the good speculation from the not so good speculation and not try to step on anybody's steel toed shoes toes.

Morning Line odds:

2/1   Sooty Buildup

5/1   SootyGuysFries

10/1 Flying Bird (or other animal)

12/1 Mylar Balloon

12/1 EngineFireball

25/1 ScrapOrSell

50/1 Waywardrone

Edited by JRG
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll have to remember that, the next time the duty engineer fails to call the bridge when they do the daily turbocharger cleaning, blasting ground walnut shells into the turbocharger (what, never heard of it?  join the maritime industry),

No I understand turbocharging.   Does it have a BOV?

Correction:  do the engines in this ship have a BOV?

Edited by JRG

4 minutes ago, JRG said:

Good,  then explain to our readers because   I already know what a BOV is and alot of our readers donot so we should explain why it may be important here if it is used in these cruise ship engines.

Edited by JRG

Fascinating conversation here but I have no idea what the h@ll you guys are talking about lol.

I hope those scheduled for 6/11 get to cruise. It would be interesting to be on that trip especially if the funnel has a unique temporary design. I would want my pic taken on board with that funnel in the shot. It would be a cool memento.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I hope those scheduled for 6/11 get to cruise. It would be interesting to be on that trip especially if the funnel has a unique temporary design. I would want my pic taken on board with that funnel in the shot. It would be a cool memento.

That is really what everybody with a cruiseheart wants.

36 minutes ago, JRG said:

32 minutes ago, JRG said:

Good,  then explain to our readers because   I already know what a BOV is and alot of our readers donot so we should explain why it may be important here if it is used in these cruise ship engines.

Why should I explain what a BOV is, when there isn't one on the engines.  You don't reduce load instantaneously as you do with a car's throttle, so no need for a BOV.  And, I wasn't questioning whether you "understood" turbocharging, but whether you had heard of cleaning turbochargers while running, or the use of walnut shells as a cleaning agent.  Not sure where that went to a BOV, but not sure where a lot of your "arguments" go.  And, quoting yourself?  Points for effort.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JRG said:

That is really what everybody with a cruiseheart wants.

And, yet, I'm the one that said it would be back in service in 4 weeks or less, and you're the one saying it should be scrapped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRG said:

8/5 FlamingWalnuts

2/1   Sooty Buildup

5/1   SootyGuysFries

10/1 Flying Bird (or other animal)

12/1 Mylar Balloon

12/1 EngineFireball

25/1 ScrapOrSell

50/1 Waywardrone

8/5FlamingWalnuts has been added as the new 8/5 morning line.

Bolding is mine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRG said:

Pretty sure you are having fun with us....do you really think an engine running around 500rpm is going to have a BOV (blow off valve) old school and wasteful or even a turbo bypass valve. Maybe you want a variable geometry turbo in a massive industrial diesel engine from 15 years ago ???

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, yet, I'm the one that said it would be back in service in 4 weeks or less, and you're the one saying it should be scrapped.

We're seriously trying to trouble the cause of the fire and it feels like we are pulling teeth to get basic information and you are worried about who said what.

Believe it or not,   if the ship was hurling Flaming Walnuts up its chute like you originally said amongst you evaluation,   which was made a bit prematurely if you ask me only because cruisers are relying on accurate information for planning purposes and cruising purposes,  then it should be the point of discussion.   Somebody mentioned it was headed to drydock and a poster kind of vented a bit a blew their stack a bit but there were no funnel cake jokes.    So we don't to take things seriously and yes the mechanical whizkids might actually turn out to be pretty good at solving these kinds of puzzles.

If you are unhappy with the tone please use the ignore button.

21 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

Pretty sure you are having fun with us....do you really think an engine running around 500rpm is going to have a BOV (blow off valve) old school and wasteful or even a turbo bypass valve. Maybe you want a variable geometry turbo in a massive industrial diesel engine from 15 years ago ???

Yes and No,  the question was meant to find out if one existed and the second part would be is there something EQUIVALENT that would , if not properly be maintained,  cause a fire in the turbocharger as original suggested, as a safeguard.   

Secondly,  a sidebar question as there was a post made a few weeks ago about barnacles and I was curious how the poster was going to get more torque to the screws to maintain the same course speed without using more fuel.   I was curious if the poster was going to 1)use a higher grade of fuel 2)change the air mixture 3) mess with the thruster mapping for whatever transmission is used to drive the mainshafts (or similar) or just throw mass weight overboard to get the job done.   

just a question about how these marine engines work to help in the troubleshooting

1) do ships have transmission thruster mappings and alternates that can be utilized during different sailing conditions would be the question.

Edited by JRG