Alaska Cruisetour land first testing

KirkNC

I am hoping to get confirmation that NO negative test is required prior to joining a land first Alaska cruise tour.  Our tour starts in Vancouver and since we are fully vaccinated there is no requirement to enter Canada.  HAL documents state they will administer a Covid test at the end of the land portion of the trip prior to boarding the ship but is silent on any requirement for a negative upon joining the land portion in Vancouver.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I am hoping to get confirmation that NO negative test is required prior to joining a land first Alaska cruise tour.  Our tour starts in Vancouver and since we are fully vaccinated there is no requirement to enter Canada.  HAL documents state they will administer a Covid test at the end of the land portion of the trip prior to boarding the ship but is silent on any requirement for a negative upon joining the land portion in Vancouver.  Thanks.

I've been wondering about this also.  Just trying to be logical and stay calm, but after avoiding Covid for 2+ years by staying home, getting every vaccine available, wearing masks indoors I'm till wanting to be a rule follower.  Finally braving 18 day Yukon Denali next month after cancellations for 2 years.  So, Im thinking, (or over-thinking) if no US resident starting land in Vancouver needs testing until about 8 or 9 days in, and only because we board ship on day 11, we could be riding around in Covid incubators and find out that almost everyone has had an exposure and could be denied boarding. Of course, we're planning to test ourselves intermittently, but what's the likelihood people will self report if they feel well and, if they do, how will the tour handle it? Leave us somewhere in the Yukon or at Denali for 10 days?  Even I, rule follower for 7 decades, am starting to think that its time to start treating this like any other virus because there are just too many possible points of failure.  I would feel better if I understood HALs action plan.

6 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I am a little surprised they test us before boarding yet we will ride around for 10 days in a bus without any pre testing.

Agree!!   3 flights and multiple buses for 10 days. Current policy isn't logical.  I had wondered if we would be tested before flight from Yukon to Alaska, but understand that is a charter flight and might, therefore, be exempt from USA entry testing.  Currently, preliminary boarding pass says nothing about land tour testing.  Hope HAL changes or clarifies this before we start our land tour.

• Like 2

“I have called Holland America Cruise Line for assistance and was advised, any Covid test that are required while on the tour including the test required for the cruise at embarkation will be coordinated by Holland America Cruise Line and would be complimentary.”

I have been stressing about the testing as well. Above is the message from our travel advisor.  Our land tour begins in Fairbanks and at one point I was told that we needed to be tested before the land portion. Then they put out the statement that they will follow local guides lines and not go above and beyond.  We end in Vancouver and we were very disappointed when we were told that we will not be tested before getting off the ship to fly back to the states, we are on our own. I think that Holland’s statements have been very vague and unclear on many things. Just say YES you need to test or NO! 

• Like 2

We just returned from the NA land first from Anchorage "Double Denali", no pre-test for the land portion in Anchorage, we were only tested on day 3 the day at the McKinley Lodge in Denali the day before heading to Whittier to join the ship. As far as I heard (rumors) 7 people tested positive and were returned to Anchorage, and not allowed to join the ship in Whittier.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, srpilo said:

We just returned from the NA land first from Anchorage "Double Denali", no pre-test for the land portion in Anchorage, we were only tested on day 3 the day at the McKinley Lodge in Denali the day before heading to Whittier to join the ship. As far as I heard (rumors) 7 people tested positive and were returned to Anchorage, and not allowed to join the ship in Whittier.

This is important information, thank you!   How many people were on your  land tour, if I may ask and were people required to mask up on busses, planes and trains? Your info is the first I've seen from a land first tour and I am sure it will help inform many. 

3 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

This is important information, thank you!   How many people were on your  land tour, if I may ask and were people required to mask up on busses, planes and trains? Your info is the first I've seen from a land first tour and I am sure it will help inform many. 

3 hours ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

When we departed Anchorage on the 7 hour McKinley Explorer train to Denali we had 3 full HAL train cars, with apox 75 passengers each car, additionally coming from the other direction from Fairbanks 5 buses arrived at Denali the same day for the tours originating in Fairbanks all told there were near 450 people booked in at the HAL McKinley Chalet Lodge during our stay (FYI they were unprepared for such a large group !!). The combined land tours were the first bookings of the season there, and there were some serious hic-ups to be sure ---  On boarding day all Anchorage groups bused to the ship and all Fairbanks groups trained to the ship, with arrivals in Whittier staggered through out the day.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AMPM said:

“I have called Holland America Cruise Line for assistance and was advised, any Covid test that are required while on the tour including the test required for the cruise at embarkation will be coordinated by Holland America Cruise Line and would be complimentary.”

I have been stressing about the testing as well. Above is the message from our travel advisor.  Our land tour begins in Fairbanks and at one point I was told that we needed to be tested before the land portion. Then they put out the statement that they will follow local guides lines and not go above and beyond.  We end in Vancouver and we were very disappointed when we were told that we will not be tested before getting off the ship to fly back to the states, we are on our own. I think that Holland’s statements have been very vague and unclear on many things. Just say YES you need to test or NO! 

Yes, I agree with you completely about the testing. Hopefully we can hear from more people as they complete their land and cruise tours. Are the numbers of people testing positive on the rise? Are folks masking up or not? How did you do your testing before flying out of Vancouver? So many questions to be answered. My biggest fear is not being able to board our cruise in Whittier with a positive test. 

2 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Yes, I agree with you completely about the testing. Hopefully we can hear from more people as they complete their land and cruise tours. Are the numbers of people testing positive on the rise? Are folks masking up or not? How did you do your testing before flying out of Vancouver? So many questions to be answered. My biggest fear is not being able to board our cruise in Whittier with a positive test. 

Same here on biggest fear. We leave next Tuesday to fly to Anchorage, Thursday to Denali, then Whittier on Sunday to get on the ship. I know in Vancouver our TA advised us to schedule an appt at the testing center at the airport before our flight.

6 minutes ago, LJProk said:

Same here on biggest fear. We leave next Tuesday to fly to Anchorage, Thursday to Denali, then Whittier on Sunday to get on the ship. I know in Vancouver our TA advised us to schedule an appt at the testing center at the airport before our flight.

We don’t have enough time to get off of the ship and test at the airport. We booked everything, including transfers, through HAL. They said we would have enough time to make the flight. I hear the airport is really crowded. We are going to upgrade the wifi and do a self proctored test on board the day before. HAL has told me twice that their wifi would support a video call. We are going to schedule it early the day before so we have time to try again if needed. 
Please, please keep us informed how things go on your land tour. We plan on wearing masks the entire time so we can make our cruise. I hope that you have a safe and enjoyable journey! 

I really think it’s a travesty that HAL does not provide testing at the end of the cruise.  You would think they would want to make it as easy as possible for their guests.  We have a later flight on the return trip so we have an appointment in the airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I really think it’s a travesty that HAL does not provide testing at the end of the cruise.  You would think they would want to make it as easy as possible for their guests.  We have a later flight on the return trip so we have an appointment in the airport.

On another board someone opined that the reason may be that positive passengers disembarking become the "responsibility" of the cruise line for quarantine expenses.  I expect the line will be much happier when we disembark than when we embark.  Despite all their reference to their sail safe reassurances, the reality is that they want to make sure that we accept the risk as the brave souls willing to trust them in the first place. 

We travel next day so we will be doing monitored antigen test before flying home. We had considered changing flights to leave out of Seattle to avoid the whole mess but that's a hassle as well.

In an effort to have some control (we are 4 adults and 2 kids) we will be testing ourselves throughout the 18 days hoping, that if we do test positive, we can predict where they might drop us.  Suddenly, this dream trip feels like less fun and if it wouldn't devastate 2 preteen boys, I'd consider cancelling.

• Like 2

Well we just received notice from HAL that a negative test IS required prior to the land portion of our trip in mid-June.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
Please be advised that we have implemented a new requirement and cruisetour guests 2 years of age or older must now produce a negative COVID-19 test at the start of their pre-cruise land tour. The test must be medically observed and
can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour. You will not be able to
begin your cruisetour without proof of a negative COVID-19 test. At-home medically observed antigen tests such as https://*****/optumtest are allowed.

Well we just received notice from HAL that a negative test IS required prior to the land portion of our trip in mid-June.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
Please be advised that we have implemented a new requirement and cruisetour guests 2 years of age or older must now produce a negative COVID-19 test at the start of their pre-cruise land tour. The test must be medically observed and
can be an antigen test taken within two days of the start of your tour or a PCR test taken within three days of the start of your tour. You will not be able to
begin your cruisetour without proof of a negative COVID-19 test. At-home medically observed antigen tests  are allowed.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
begin your cruisetour without proof of a negative COVID-19 test. At-home medically observed antigen tests  are allowed.

Wow. That’s new. The HAL website hasn’t even been updated yet. 

Both the Vancouver airport and the departure hotel HAL is using have testing facilities and accept appointments.  The airport facility was $85 and the hotel (which is having a sale) was $58. This compares to our test in March in the Lisbon airport which was 25 euros.  Our cost for testing for this cruise is $286 for the two of us.

I reiterate my position that HAL should be arranging this for the convenience of the passengers if they want to encourage more people to cruise.  Our only post Covid cruise so far on another line had free at the pier testing (Miami).   You just showed up and were tested.  Took ten minutes. 

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION

Thanks so much for starting this thread.  You think HAL read our posts and made this sensible decision?  I feel better about this trip now 😃

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:11 AM, Sebbiesgrammy said:

On another board someone opined that the reason may be that positive passengers disembarking become the "responsibility" of the cruise line for quarantine expenses.  I expect the line will be much happier when we disembark than when we embark.  Despite all their reference to their sail safe reassurances, the reality is that they want to make sure that we accept the risk as the brave souls willing to trust them in the first place. 

We travel next day so we will be doing monitored antigen test before flying home. We had considered changing flights to leave out of Seattle to avoid the whole mess but that's a hassle as well.

In an effort to have some control (we are 4 adults and 2 kids) we will be testing ourselves throughout the 18 days hoping, that if we do test positive, we can predict where they might drop us.  Suddenly, this dream trip feels like less fun and if it wouldn't devastate 2 preteen boys, I'd consider cancelling.

same, I plan on taking a few tests each with us. We would reschedule to next year but then we are dealing with graduation for one (with two graduation ceremonies, community college and high school for the same kid). And he has asked to go on this trip for so many years!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

Wow. That’s new. The HAL website hasn’t even been updated yet. 

So now I wonder if we need to test before leaving town tomorrow to join the land portion on Thursday . . .

8 minutes ago, defnjeb said:

We start our land tour on Wednesday and we are already in Anchorage. Does anyone know where I can get a rapid test today or tomorrow?

You can buy any FDA approved rapid test and have it proctored over the internet. If you are interested in this, I will post links to two sites. The cost is between 15 to 20 dollars for each proctoring session.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sebbiesgrammy said:

Thanks so much for starting this thread.  You think HAL read our posts and made this sensible decision?  I feel better about this trip now 😃

I actually do as well!

2 minutes ago, LJProk said:

So now I wonder if we need to test before leaving town tomorrow to join the land portion on Thursday . . .

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. We leave on Saturday, but Sunday was the “official” arrival day. First tour starts  Monday. Which day do they count from?