Corfu on our own

Bluestar01

Hello, 

Need recommendations, suggestions or any advice you can provide to visit Corfu on our own instead of booking through NCL. 

We will be traveling first time to Italy & Greece,  a family of 4, including two teen age daughters in 3rd week of July. They have read Odyssey and are very interested in seeing  the place where Odysseus got up after ship wreck in Corfu, other than that how are the beaches, worth going in July because it will be very hot, but definitely want to soak feet in the sea, as we tend to do in any continent that we visit! 

Thanks.

I think one can divide Corfu into two destinations, Corfu Town (Kerkyra) and everything else outside of Corfu Town.  If you simply want to spend an entire day in Corfu Town than it is easy to do on your own by simple using your legs/feet.  But outside of town you are dealing with a relatively large island where DIY means you need transportation.  You can certainly negotiate a deal with a taxi or arrange for a private car/driver/guide online.  The other alternative is to rent a car and go where you please.  You can find plenty of ideas (and beaches) by researching online.  Driving is relatively easy except when in Corfu Town where one must deal with the usual traffic/parking issues.

I should add that like all the popular Greek Islands, Corfu is very tourist friendly with English widely spoken.  For DIY you would want to have Euros and a major credit card (MC or Visa).  If you need more Euros there are plenty of bank ATMs in Corfu Town.

Hank

• Like 1

Our port visit to Corfu was a DIY. There was a complimentary shuttle to Corfu's lovely Venetian quarter where we wondered the old town taking in the local shops (found shop for olive oil soap) and lovely vistas. We then found a shady patio. It was a Sunday and many large families were enjoying lunch together and fun to relax and take in the sights. Nice afternoon.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, Hlitner said:

I think one can divide Corfu into two destinations, Corfu Town (Kerkyra) and everything else outside of Corfu Town.  If you simply want to spend an entire day in Corfu Town than it is easy to do on your own by simple using your legs/feet.  But outside of town you are dealing with a relatively large island where DIY means you need transportation.  You can certainly negotiate a deal with a taxi or arrange for a private car/driver/guide online.  The other alternative is to rent a car and go where you please.  You can find plenty of ideas (and beaches) by researching online.  Driving is relatively easy except when in Corfu Town where one must deal with the usual traffic/parking issues.

I should add that like all the popular Greek Islands, Corfu is very tourist friendly with English widely spoken.  For DIY you would want to have Euros and a major credit card (MC or Visa).  If you need more Euros there are plenty of bank ATMs in Corfu Town.

Hank

True, Corfu town is very easy on your own.

For places outside you might also check the local buses.  From the main bus stop in the town you can get to many tourist places.   

We rented a car right at the pier [booked ahead], and toured "outside" of Corfu Town. It was very easy. Then we came back to Corfu Town, paid for parking, toured a little, and then returned the car at the pier.

Royalcarsrental dot gr

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a brief sightseeing of Corfu Town (Old Fortress, et al), we rented cars close to the pier, and drove to Palaiokastritsa, about 30 min away.  There, we rented a couple of boats, and made our way to some of the remote beaches and sea caves.  It was wonderful.

We are thinking the same thing.  I found a company in Palaiokastritsa that will do a 1.5 hour guided boat tour of the beaches and caves.  However, we don't know how to get there!  Is it easy to acquire a taxi and the pier?  Or do we have to arrange it ahead of time?  

19 hours ago, IHEARTSUP14 said:

We are thinking the same thing.  I found a company in Palaiokastritsa that will do a 1.5 hour guided boat tour of the beaches and caves.  However, we don't know how to get there!  Is it easy to acquire a taxi and the pier?  Or do we have to arrange it ahead of time?  

I am not sure how much you are able to see for 90 minutes.  We rented boats for a mere 3 hrs, and it seemed way too short.

To get to Paleokastritsa, we rented cars from a rental place just outside the pier in Corfu.  It is a 30 minute drive.  

Regarding boating, I also replied to your question in another part of the this board.

We have visited several times, done tours and car rental.  But our absolute favourite was when we chartered a private boat the Nautilus and went sightseeing and swimming along the coastline.   It was super easy as they were at the dock and we had a fantastic time.  It is a larger boat so You may wish to have others join to make it more affordable,  in July it will likely be very hot so the water will be enjoyable.