Acropolis Combo Ticket - true skip the line?

Ace_Caliente

I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with the "Skip the Line" tickets for the Acropolis for a bit here and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. There seems to be a number of offers that all sound similar but I can't find a clear description of how the queues actually work. Has anyone purchased skip the line in 2022 for the Acropolis? What about the combined ticket? Does the combine ticket provide skip the line? Are there multiple "lines" and does, for instance, a getyourguide.com ticket get you through them quicker than just buying a combo ticket at the Ancient Agora and then the next morning showing up at the Acropolis with it?

We're in Athens right after our cruise so are planning to visit on a Sunday morning right away at 7:30AM, so I'm not even sure if the skip the line matters. I think our default plan right now is to do a walk around to the less busy sites on Saturday and buy a combo ticket at the first one we need to buy a ticket into so we have it for the next morning to see the really busy Acropolis site.

I will preface this by saying we went last July, so Covid made everything different in so many ways, not sure what’s similar or different. We went to the Acropolis site, used a QR code to buy tickets online at the site. Saved us a 10-15 minute wait in line to purchase tickets (this was the preferred way), no line to actually get in. It would’ve been nice to walk right in vs. taking the time to buy on my phone at the gate. We went on a Sunday around noon. 

The Acropolis museum down the hill where all the cool artifacts are, however, was a different story. It was sold out at our time because it was capacity controlled (Covid), the wait time and line was hours long for later time slots, and you had to wait in line even if you had a reservation. We had to skip the museum to not miss our cruise, which looked super cool from what we could see. That’s where a “Skip the Line” pass or tour guide package would’ve been 100% worth it. We met someone who had bought that, they just walked up, met their guide, and then walked past all the masses right inside.

I bet there are combo tickets where you can do both. I don’t know about one type vs. another, hope this helps. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, Ace_Caliente said:

I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with the "Skip the Line" tickets for the Acropolis for a bit here and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Here is another forum post which contains some useful information.  I am in the same boat as you, so I have no idea which information in there is correct.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, jas283a said:

I bet there are combo tickets where you can do both. I don’t know about one type vs. another, hope this helps. 

I do not know if there is a combo ticket (Acropolis & Acropolis Museum), I have not seen one, but there is a combination ticket of Acropolis and other archeological sites around Athens.  The price when I visited 4 weeks ago for the 7 sites was 30 EUR, and is valid for 5 days, but you can't repeat a site.

Single ticket prices which the combo ticket covers:

Acropolis & slopes: 20 EUR

Ancient Agora: 10 EUR

Roman Agora: 8 EUR

Hadrian's Library: 6 EUR

Olympieion: 8 EUR

Kerameikos: 8 EUR

Lykeion: 4 EUR.

The ticket essentially covers all of the major archeological sites within walking distance of Acropolis.  I'd recommend it.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, jas283a said:

The Acropolis museum down the hill where all the cool artifacts are, however, was a different story. It was sold out at our time because it was capacity controlled (Covid), the wait time and line was hours long for later time slots, and you had to wait in line even if you had a reservation.

The Acropolis Museum was extremely crowded for us as well, when we visited  weeks ago (early June 2022).  I am no sure if it is crowded all the time or we just hit it at the wrong time.

The Acropolis Museum structure is beautifully done.  Really world class.  Unfortunately, the exhibits themselves are not stellar.  Except for a few notable examples, I was pretty underwhelmed.  I'd skip it, unless you've seen all the other major museums in Athens ... twice.

Instead of Acropolis Museum, spend a day at the National Archeological Museum, and a few hours each at the Benaki Museum, and the Museum of Cycladic Arts.   

On 6/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, Ben2travel said:

Here is another forum post which contains some useful information.  I am in the same boat as you, so I have no idea which information in there is correct.

I am not surprised. 

Yes, there are many scams that North Americans and Western Europeans fall to, but it is not simply fraud that is the problem.  Yes, scams are a big problem when traveling in Mediterranean countries, but that is not the main problem with ordering services in Greece on-line.

The problem with Greece is that things just don't work like you may be used.  Standards are just more relaxed.  Venues close because the ticket office personnel left to go home to watch a soccer match.  Websites are not updated for months.  Schedules are just approximate and flexible.  It is akin to traveling in some developing countries of Latin America.  

If you want things to work according to schedules, without problems, vacation instead in Germany or the Nordic Countries.  

The lack of punctuality or to details, flexible schedules, lackadaisical attitude, and like, are just a part of the charm of traveling in Greece.   Don't sweat it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 12:53 AM, Ben2travel said:

I am in the same boat as you, so I have no idea which information in there is correct.

The information provided by @marazulin this post is correct. We bought our tickets on this site (the day before), skipped the line and went straight to the machines to scan our passes.

Here is the official website.  It's kind of clunky, but it works.  

https://etickets.tap.gr/webengines/tap_b2c/english/tap.exe?PM=P1

The region is ATTICA

The site is ACROPOLIS AND SLOPES

Pick the date

Pick a time. The time is for statistical purposes only, but the ticket gives you the right to enter without waiting in line whenever you show up that day.  

Pick the number of persons.

Pick "single use" or "combined" which gives you access to other sites.

Checkout.

It was very hot, even though we were there very early. And crowded, with many groups just jamming the way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, dani negreanu said:

The information provided by @marazulin this post is correct. We bought our tickets on this site (the day before), skipped the line and went straight to the machines to scan our passes.

Here is the official website.  It's kind of clunky, but it works.  

https://etickets.tap.gr/webengines/tap_b2c/english/tap.exe?PM=P1

The region is ATTICA

The site is ACROPOLIS AND SLOPES

Pick the date

Pick a time. The time is for statistical purposes only, but the ticket gives you the right to enter without waiting in line whenever you show up that day.  

Pick the number of persons.

Pick "single use" or "combined" which gives you access to other sites.

Checkout.

It was very hot, even though we were there very early. And crowded, with many groups just jamming the way.

I have a question.  I just ordered 4 combined 'general admission" tickets on this website and have not received anything by email other than an auto reply saying our order by credit card order was accepted but nowhere on the receipt does it mention for what??? No mention of Athens or the Acropolis or anything.

Did it take a day or so to get your email with the tickets to scan?  I'm just hoping it takes a few hours or a day for the visa payment or something before I get the email with the actual tickets to scan.

Thanks for any info.

10 minutes ago, doodlefan said:

I have a question.  I just ordered 4 combined 'general admission" tickets on this website and have not received anything by email other than an auto reply saying our order by credit card order was accepted but nowhere on the receipt does it mention for what??? No mention of Athens or the Acropolis or anything.

Did it take a day or so to get your email with the tickets to scan?  I'm just hoping it takes a few hours or a day for the visa payment or something before I get the email with the actual tickets to scan.

Thanks for any info.

It was immediate... 

7 hours ago, doodlefan said:

Hmm   Something must have gone wrong.  I will email them and see what happened.  Thanks so much for your quick response.

I am sorry that this is happening to you.  I hope that you'll be able to resolve it successfully.  Follow up with them, be persistent, and it will most likely be resolved in your favor.

Things get better and better each year, but still, many things just don't work in Greece as smoothly as they do in Canada or other parts of Europe.  You cannot always expect that once you send money to Greece that you'll get what you paid for.  Not because Greeks are somehow dishonest, but because of things just not always working.  I'd very hesitant sending money to Greece (like to most of the world) except for airline tickets, unless there is a really huge advantage to buying your services up front over when you are there.  The headache wondering if you'll lose your money is not worth it.

4 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I am sorry that this is happening to you.  I hope that you'll be able to resolve it successfully.  Follow up with them, be persistent, and it will most likely be resolved in your favor.

Things get better and better each year, but still, many things just don't work in Greece as smoothly as they do in Canada or other parts of Europe.  You cannot always expect that once you send money to Greece that you'll get what you paid for.  Not because Greeks are somehow dishonest, but because of things just not always working.  I'd very hesitant sending money to Greece (like to most of the world) except for airline tickets, unless there is a really huge advantage to buying your services up front over when you are there.  The headache wondering if you'll lose your money is not worth it.

Thanks for the info.  I emailed so hopefully it will get sorted out.  It is the official site for Acropolis tickets so I'm sure millions have used it.  I read reviews of people pre purchasing from there and then just scanning at the machines so I'm sure its legit, now to get it all sorted out. lol   Good thing I have 3 weeks to do it.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, doodlefan said:

Thanks for the info.  I emailed so hopefully it will get sorted out.  It is the official site for Acropolis tickets so I'm sure millions have used it.  I read reviews of people pre purchasing from there and then just scanning at the machines so I'm sure its legit, now to get it all sorted out. lol   Good thing I have 3 weeks to do it.

Did you check your spam filter?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruznstyle said:

I just purchased tickets a couple days ago.  I received an email with my tickets in just a few seconds.  I hope it works out for you. 

What was the date you purchased the tickets for? I've read that they might go in order of date needed. Thanks for any info

1 minute ago, doodlefan said:

Yes I have checked my spam folder every day and I sent them an email on Wednesday and so far I haven't heard anything back.

Maybe try a different credit card - VISA or MC.  Good luck.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marazul said:

Maybe try a different credit card - VISA or MC.  Good luck.

Well I paid with Visa already and no email with tickets and code.  So I'm definitely not trying again with a different credit card.  If I don't get this resolved I'm out 120 Euro.  So far no tickets, not in spam folder and no response to my email.  I'll give it until mid week next week then if nothing, I'll do a visa charge back.  I'm still hopeful, it's early yet. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 5:59 PM, dani negreanu said:

It was immediate... 

This happened to me too.  I haven't received the tickets but my card was charged.  

Did you ever get this problem resolved?  I have emailed them but they have not responded.  I have also looked in my Spam and the email is not there.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, doodlefan said:

Thanks for any info.

This happened to me too.  Did you ever get it resolved and if so how.

10 hours ago, Stowaway11 said:

This happened to me too.  Did you ever get it resolved and if so how.

Hi

I did not get it resolved with the website or by emailing (there is no contact phone #)  I tried many times.  I eventually opened a dispute with my Visa and did a charge back.  Visa investigated and I was credited the full amount back to my credit card.

This took over 3 weeks so in the meantime, I reordered online entry tickets but NOT with the official Greece website.  I ordered them through Get Your Guide who I have used before and had another excursion booked through.  I know they are a good legit company.

I have their app on my phone and once you buy tickets they have everything on the app.  The entry code that you scan to go in is saved offline on your phone so you don't need data or anything to access them.

Get Your Guide also has some different options of audio guides or other guides.  We booked the "combo" ticket because we went to the  Ancient Agora as well.

We were at the Dionysus Theater entrance before 8 am and were the first 10 people in, very nice, by the time we were on our way down, it was getting very busy up there.  Also if you want to wait to purchase your tickets at 8 am the line was only about 15 people at the DionysusTheater entrance and this was the 25th of August so it was probably busier than shoulder season will be.   I hear the main entrance is much busier.  Plus the climb is a little less steep at the beginning at that entrance. 

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.  But definitely don't miss the Acropolis, it is fantastic.  It was my 3rd time up there and still as wonderful as seeing it all the first time.

I wouldn't even bother with skip the line tickets. 

If you enter through the South Slope across from the Temple of Zeus, there are a few ticket machines that are slow and have long lines. Walk towards them, hang a left and go ~100ft and you will be at the entrance itself where this are two more manned ticket windows and the line moves much faster. 

The pink star is where the ticket machines are. Bypass those and you will only have a few minute wait. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 10.08.51 AM.png

Edited by Jeremiah1212