Birth Certificate

I would contact your cruise line (or TA if you booked through one) and tell them the specifics regarding the ID's and names and ask what they will need to ensure her being able to board. 

It sounds like you are cruising on a US based closed loop itinerary with a cruise line that does not require a passport.  But if she has one, a passport with her name matching that on the booking record would also suffice.

It would help as well to mention which cruise line you are on with your question as they can vary in terms of boarding ID requirements.  But that is why I suggest contacting your cruise line and discussing this with them. They would be able to provide the definitive answer.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As someone who has checked in cruise passengers, unless the name change was due to a marriage, more info/documentation might be required.

Not sure how old your granddaughter is, but if she was young (high schoolers have DLs), I would probably get a supervisor involved. 

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

....I would probably get a supervisor involved. 

Do you mean when calling the cruise line or at the pier?  If at the pier, might that not be too late if she does not have the proper ID or documentation required by the cruise line regarding the name difference with her?  Not challenging, just questioning as I am unclear as to when you suggest talking with the supervisor.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

43 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Do you mean when calling the cruise line or at the pier?  If at the pier, might that not be too late if she does not have the proper ID or documentation required by the cruise line regarding the name difference with her?  Not challenging, just questioning as I am unclear as to when you suggest talking with the supervisor.

Short answer: always better to know before you show up at the pier.

First, the OP's question left a lot open to interpretation.  As someone who has checked in cruise passengers, anytime we have questions or concerns, we are trained to ask our supervisors for help.  There are situations that we deal with daily, and then there are uncommon situations that we ask help on.  With the OP's vague question, I don't know if it is a straightforward situation of a married woman traveling on her birth certificate, or something unusual that a typical check-in agent would request a supervisor's assistance.

If I was checking in a passenger whose name on the travel ID documents didn't match up, and it wasn't a simple explanation of married woman using her birth certificate (maiden name) and DL (married name), I would wonder what was going on.

Sometime a young person would have a birth certificate with the last name of the 'no longer in their life father'.  This young person may have informally taken on the last name of the step-dad, but the legal name hasn't been changed - so the BC last name, and the name on the booking don't match up.  In this situation I would need a supervisor's assistance.

As I said, the OP's question was vague, and when I think granddaughter, I think young person (although I know that grandkids can be any age).  Maybe the OP will come back and give more details.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:29 PM, parachutes63 said:

I am taking my Grand Daughter on a cruise. If the last name on her birth certificate is different from her drivers license will that be a problem?

The mother of one of my friends grew up in Poland .She wanted to give one of her children a Polish first name .My friend never liked the name and everyone knows her by a name she preferred .Her drivers license and other documents have the preferred name .She never had a problem cruising .

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The mother of one of my friends grew up in Poland .She wanted to give one of her children a Polish first name .My friend never liked the name and everyone knows her by a name she preferred .Her drivers license and other documents have the preferred name .She never had a problem cruising .

Does she have a passport?