Travel Insurance for pre-existing medical conditions

I hope this is allowed, it has been some time!  We are looking for a travel insurance policy that has coverage for pre-existing medical conditions.   We have always used Allianz in the past - husband has pre-existing medical conditions which are currently stable and have been that way for at least the past 5 years and there has been no issues getting coverage.  Cover is now being declined because of age (66) and destination of travel (USA).  Is anyone else in the same boat? (excuse the pun) and able to offer advice please?  Thanks in advance, Sandra

2 hours ago, Cascade1 said:

InsureandGo or Southern Cross Insurance - have found both good

Rang InsureandGo during the week and was told to ring back at the end of the month for Cruise insurance.

25 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Rang InsureandGo during the week and was told to ring back at the end of the month for Cruise insurance.

As I thought, more insurance companies will be offering cruise insurance. I also believe that more will extend their coverage to include COVID-related claims. If they don't they will miss out on business.

Thanks heaps

Unfortunately I cant get past the address section for InsureandGo so not having much luck.  Southern Cross (at least in NZ) have never been very helpful in the past for pre-existing stuff.  

Still living in hope .... 

Not sure if 1Cover will allow you to take out a policy from NZ. I have several pre existing conditions and they gave me a policy for a Domestic cruise at a fair price.

I got the Australian cruise insurance which includes Covid Cover, 13 day cruise NSW, Tas, Vic, SA. It was $238,. (policy was $155 plus $83 for declared conditions.)

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Not sure if 1Cover will allow you to take out a policy from NZ. I have several pre existing conditions and they gave me a policy for a Domestic cruise at a fair price.

I got the Australian cruise insurance which includes Covid Cover, 13 day cruise NSW, Tas, Vic, SA. It was $238,. (policy was $155 plus $83 for declared conditions.)

Thank you.  We can take out policies in NZ but unfortunately they dont cover my husbands pre existing conditions (despite being stable for past 3 years, and on no meds).  Really gutting ... 

3 minutes ago, orphaned said:

Thank you.  We can take out policies in NZ but unfortunately they dont cover my husbands pre existing conditions (despite being stable for past 3 years, and on no meds).  Really gutting ... 

Strange, I have several fairly serious pre existings and on meds, like 10 tablets a day, declared them with a supporting letter from GP. 1Cover gave me insurance just 2 weeks ago when I booked my Westerdam cruise for November.  They do it all on line, the questions, assessment etc.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Strange, I have several fairly serious pre existings and on meds, like 10 tablets a day, declared them with a supporting letter from GP. 1Cover gave me insurance just 2 weeks ago when I booked my Westerdam cruise for November.  They do it all on line, the questions, assessment etc.

They will cover one of the pre-existing (atrial flutter) but not the other (myotonic dystrophy, considered to be mild, stable/no change since being diagnosed over 5 years ago).  Perhaps I should try the Oz site.  I suspect it's the destination - USA!   We have always had to jump thru hoops when trying to get travel insurance cover to the US, esp as we get older (66 and 63 now).  It is just so unfair ... esp when condition has been table and no meds required, etc

33 minutes ago, orphaned said:

They will cover one of the pre-existing (atrial flutter) but not the other (myotonic dystrophy, considered to be mild, stable/no change since being diagnosed over 5 years ago).  Perhaps I should try the Oz site.  I suspect it's the destination - USA!   We have always had to jump thru hoops when trying to get travel insurance cover to the US, esp as we get older (66 and 63 now).  It is just so unfair ... esp when condition has been table and no meds required, etc

wait until you are trying to get travel insurance as a  healthy 80 year old visiting the USA!!  My MIL is a healthy 100 year old this year.  Think of how many cruises the insurance industry have missed. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

wait until you are trying to get travel insurance as a  healthy 80 year old visiting the USA!!  My MIL is a healthy 100 year old this year.  Think of how many cruises the insurance industry have missed. 

A healthy 80 year old could be covered by the complimentary credit card insurance. ANZ, Westpac and St George cover people who book trips before their 81st birthday (at time of booking), and HSBC, Bank of Queensland  and Macquarie don't have an age limit. The Suncorp website indicated there isn't an age limit but someone reported that they aren't offering travel insurance at the moment.

There is no indication that these complimentary travel insurance policies are restricted to a certain part of the world. Before I took a 21 night cruise to Antarctica/St Georgia I sought confirmation that the ANZ CC insurance would cover me. The underwriter Alllianz assured me they did and nowhere in their T&C was there any restriction on the part of the world where travel would or wouldn't be covered.🙂

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orphaned said:

Yes usa cover is the issue. Good luck with it.