Considering the Nieuw Amsterdam

msteries

Considering a February cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  It has been a few years since I sailed HAL.  I love the smaller, older ships, but don’t see a recent drydock.  If you sailed her recently, would you comment on her condition?  Also, is the thalassotherapy pool open these days?   Covid changes to the spa?  Thanks for any information!

We are on the last day of a 7-day Alaska cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the third HAL ship we have been on this year. Compared to the other two, it is in noticably better shape. Nothing looks old or worn. It is more open, with lighter decor, than the other two. The staff is as charming and competent as ever. 

We enjoyed the Tamarind restaurant, which the previous two ships did not have, as well as the Pinnacle Grill and the Cannaletto. Lunch at the Pinnacle Grill is a bargain at $15 (plus the 8% gratuity). 

We are fortunate in that the ship has only 938 passengers on this cruise, putting it at about 40% capacity. This morning the captain said that it will sail with about 1,500 passengers when it sails from Vancouver tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

We were on the NA last November and the ship looks better than the first time we were on it. We have two more cruises booked on it (11/2022 & 3/2023) as we enjoyed the ship and staff so much. 🙂 

We were on her in Dec and it was in great condition - looked like new IMO.  She only was in service about a year before Covid hit is the reason I think.

17 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I thought it was a requirement to have a drydock every 3 years or so.  How is it possible that it didn't happen?  Is there a drydock scheduled?

That timing is a bit puzzling.  The NA's sister ship, the Eurodam, went through drydock in March 2021, a few months prior to its restart, and was just announced as planned to get another drydock in the Feb/March 2023 timeframe.

4 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I know.  That's why I don't understand why the Nieuw Amsterdam has been ignored for so long.

HAL did cancel one or two of the NA's cruises in Feb 2020 for an azipod repair at the Grand Bahamas shipyard.  Perhaps they did more during that out of cycle stop than just the azipod repair?