Flight out of Vancouver

Janet S.

That is scarey.

The airport is 10+ miles from the port, and it is city traffic all the way. YVR is not a quick hop from the dock like FLL and SAN. Once you arrive at the airport, besides clearing regular security, you have to pre-clear US immigration before boarding the plane. Generally speaking, YVR has a bad reputation as a post cruise airport

One time we docked, there was also a shortage of Canadian customs and immigration. Our ship, the X Infinity happened to be an hour late because of rough seas, so we did not leave the port area until after noon. A shortage of taxis did not help either.

In short, 11:40 AM strikes me as very high risk.

Art

And contingent on the day you come in...could be crowds at the airport itself.

If it were me, I'd get a hotel room near the port, spend some time in and around Stanley Park and the city, and fly the next day.

Unfortunately, Continental only has non-stops to Newark on Saturday. If we were to stay the night and leave on Sunday we are back to changing planes. Maybe drive to Seattle and leave Seattle on Sunday where there are non-stops.

There is no way I would take a chance on that flight. I'm arriving back to Vancouver on a Wednesday (less cruise traffic) and I'm flying back east at 2:30. Sure, I'll get home around mignight :eek: , but I will get here.

Traffic might get you. If your ship is on time and if you're one of the first off, you'd make it. However, if your ship is late for whatever reason, or if an accident ties up traffic on Granville heading to the airport...

I wouldn't risk it. You'll be biting your nails the whole way there, and then have to clear customs at the Airport.

You might be better off leaving late Saturday or, as you say, driving to Seattle and taking off on the Sunday from there.

I agree that if you are independent and will be taking a taxi to the airport it will be difficult.

Last year there was an fast way to get to the airport from the ship. You might want to read:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=189131&highlight=vancouver+disembark+airport

I would look at the Vancouver YVR site and see if this procedure will be in place this summer. I would then ask Continental if they will let HAL issue airline boarding passes on the ship.

I personally did not do this as I stayed over in Vancouver. However, my friends told me that they put their bags out with the Airline tags on the night before. On the morning they got their airline boarding cards from HAL people on the ship. They were off the ship before 8:00 past Canadian customs down the stairs and onto a bus and went in a special door at the airport that took them to the boarding are. No lineups at all. They picked up their luggage at SFO airport.

I think you have to be an early bird and be ready to move quickly in the morning. These special busses only run until the general disembarking starts.

If we were to leave a week later (which we can do) the non-stop to Newark is at 1:00pm. I think that this time plus the suggested on board check in might make it doable. Without the on board check in, can we make a 1:00pm flight on a Saturday.

I usually arrive at the Vancouver airport around ten AM and I usually get off the ship around 9:20 or 9:30 AM. I am usually one of the last off the ship. If you give HAL your travel arrangements and they know what time your plane is going off they will accomdate and try and see that you get off with time to spare. The fly in the onintment is not HAL or the taffic but fellow passengers who do not go to the front office and settle when called. If everybody "plays ball" they can start disembarking by 8:15AM. If people don't settle up and it is usually one or two, that can delay the process by quite a bit.

Janet

Make lemonade out of this.

Vancouver is my second favorite North American city, after Toronto (I live in the US). If your schedule permits, stay over in Vancouver for a day or two, and then take a flight that you can get to in a leisurely fashion.

Don't know what can be done now, but our last trip, we caught PriceLine rooms at the Hyatt in downtown Vancouver for $70 a night.

Art

Wouldn't try it. If word gets out that there are any American criminals heading their way Canadian customs and immigration have been known to abandon their posts shutting everthing down. Maybe by the time you get there they will be packing guns and all will be well.

Archived