Crown Princess Alaska - June 11th

jk04

Not really going to be a Live thread.  Just to continue the conversations and reviews during the week of the cruise.  I think there are several of us on this cruise this week, so hopefully we can get different perspectives.

Safe travels to everyone and hope we great weather for the cruise!! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Have great cruise. Getting ready to sit on the phone with Princess  to straighten  the mess they're  making with crediting  out future  booked cruises with credits  earned from Princess  canceled  cruises.

Booked on the Crown for an August Alaska cruise .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JEH said:

Have great cruise. Getting ready to sit on the phone with Princess  to straighten  the mess they're  making with crediting  out future  booked cruises with credits  earned from Princess  canceled  cruises.

Booked on the Crown for an August Alaska cruise .

Good luck!

We're on the June 11th cruise, too. I second the desire for good weather.   Planning on spending lots of time on our balcony watching the scenery go by.  Cancelled and shortened ports are a disappointment, but making the best of it.  We have always enjoyed sea days in the past, so this should be no different.  I'm sure the cruise director & staff have lots of trivia and games planned to pass the sea days.  Good service, food, entertainment and good companion will make it enjoyable!

Safe travels!! 

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, carbon said:

We were on the grand Princess to Hawaii in April which had 10 sea days total.  This is nothing!

Our Hawaii cruise only had 8 sea days total, 4 each way.  The first 2 and the last 2 were chilly on deck.  Did your Hawaii cruise have 5 ports as well?  It's been a few years for ours, itinerary may have changed.

Edited by GloriaF

We’re on the June 25th sailing. Looking forward to any reports & hope you all have an fantastic trip!

I’d love to hear favorite things to do on board, great dishes to try, any shows or trivia nights you enjoy, fun places to explore while on board, &/or spots hide away & read or play games while enjoying the views:)

And even with the shortened port times — any tips or recommendations there would be great, too!

We’re in the aft portion on the Caribe deck & I’m really hoping the vibrations won’t be too much for us.

Bon Voyage!!

• Like 1

We are on the on the June 11th cruise too. We are on the aft and are looking forward to reading, drinking coffee and wine from our balcony watching the scenery. The itirenary is disapointing, but are packing tours into our long day in Skagway. On waiting list for the Mendanhall shuttle in Juneau. We booked with Juneau Tours just incase we don't get off the waiting list. Can cancel 24 hours ahead. Our whale watching tour was canceled due to the time coming into Juneau now.

Yes, to good weather, as this will be out saving grace. We will make the best of it enjoying the food, drinks and our suite. (First time in a suite-that's why we didn't want to cancel)

Here we go!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rj80 said:

We are on the on the June 11th cruise too. We are on the aft and are looking forward to reading, drinking coffee and wine from our balcony watching the scenery. The itirenary is disapointing, but are packing tours into our long day in Skagway. On waiting list for the Mendanhall shuttle in Juneau. We booked with Juneau Tours just incase we don't get off the waiting list. Can cancel 24 hours ahead. Our whale watching tour was canceled due to the time coming into Juneau now.

Yes, to good weather, as this will be out saving grace. We will make the best of it enjoying the food, drinks and our suite. (First time in a suite-that's why we didn't want to cancel)

Here we go!

Awww, enjoy the suite!!  I hope we have great weather so you can enjoy dinner, drinks, or just watching the scenery from a beautiful aft view. :classic_biggrin:  

If we had the full itinerary I would have seriously considered the upsell offer.  But then again, it may not have been available.  This was the first time we have ever had the offer.  We are in one of the few covered mini-suites plus one with the extended balcony.  So like you, we are hoping for nice weather.

5 hours ago, Connie N Crew said:

And even with the shortened port times — any tips or recommendations there would be great, too!

It appears that Deckhand Dave's in Juneau has survived the pandemic.  This was a "go to" spot for the XBGuys on our last few visits to Juneau.  We would have a full-on lunch, but if you want to just grab a quick order of fish tacos, they are sensational.  MUCH less expensive than Tracy's--and we are also fans of Tracy's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, miagirl said:

I saw a meniton that last week's cruise didn't go the ISP.  Did this one?  thanks

Icy Strait has been removed from sailings through the 18th. Not exactly sure what is going to change to allow the port to be added back to the itinerary. 

16 hours ago, jk04 said:

Icy Strait has been removed from sailings through the 18th. Not exactly sure what is going to change to allow the port to be added back to the itinerary. 

It's still on the itinerary for the June 25th sailing that I"m on.  have they exchanged ISP for somewhere else, or is it "just"a missed port?

2 hours ago, Riley_Mon said:

as I understand they have dropped it, but that may not extend beyond the 18th sailing

IMHO, I wasn't exactly thrilled with my first stop at Icy Point in mid-May (on the Crown).  Mostly offered an amusement park as far as I could tell, which is not what I was expecting! (I'm in my 70s).  They do offer a whale watching trip out of there and I should have booked that.  Probably a good stop for families.

For those intending to enjoy the view from their balcony, realize that the two sea days going to and from Alaska are usually cold and windy, and even in the inside part of Alaska it gets windy and cold. I was on a Carnival ship a few weeks ago with 70-degree days in Juneau and Ketchikan, and a sunny day and smooth seas on the way back, but it was difficult to spend any time outside when the ship was moving, just because of winds and temperatures. The same is even more true of Glacier Bay, where the ship's speed is slower but the temperatures are colder. I've cruised to Alaska 10 times, but I dress warm and move around from inside windows to following sun and avoiding winds, so my room stays warm and I don't have to deal with winds and cold or rain or being stuck looking out one side of the ship. On my last cruise the people sitting on balconies missed sea otters, Dall's porpoises, whales, and bald eagles on ice floes, whereas those of us out on a low promenade deck or outside upper deck could hear people with binoculars or good eyes announce when they saw some wildlife or things like a huge ice floe breaking apart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1