Discovery Princess - HDMI connection

lotus land

25 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not really. When you switch the TV off and back on again it reverts back to the standard input.

I honestly can't see any reason not to let people utilize a TV that they've paid to use during the cruise..... like review you video's and pictures on your phone on a decent size screen. 

If that’s the case, I can only think it’s to prevent anyone plugging devices into the TVs - preventing breakage of the input ports.

Many hotels have now installed tvs which you can connect to your mobile devices to give you the added utility, without having to plug anything in.  That’s always a welcome plus to those Arya for us.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

If that’s the case, I can only think it’s to prevent anyone plugging devices into the TVs - preventing breakage of the input ports.

If they didn't make it so difficult to reach those input ports there would be less breakage. People will try to plug in things not knowing if it can be switched or not.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Not really. When you switch the TV off and back on again it reverts back to the standard input.

I honestly can't see any reason not to let people utilize a TV that they've paid to use during the cruise..... like review you video's and pictures on your phone on a decent size screen. 

Trying to plug a cable into a HDMI outlet behind the TV with limited access increases the risk of breaking something. I bring a laptop or iPad to review my iPhone videos and pictures. I used to bring an HDMI cable to watch movies on the TV. It's their TV, so I am fine with them limiting access and deciding how it will be used. Better than the one on my last NCL cruise, which wasn't much bigger than a computer monitor.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Don, but besides what @MissP22 said about another thing to carry, why would I want to watch on a 16" screen when there's a perfectly good 43" TV (or two) in the stateroom?

Kevin

20 hours ago, billco said:

We won a few battles, but Princess won the war.

I posted about the workaround four months back and have sailed on her since. I was surprised to learn that the old way of doing things no longer worked (they changed the ability to switch inputs as many have mentioned), but lo and behold...just in case, I brought my own remote and voila!  We WIN again!

2 hours ago, kml246 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Don, but besides what @MissP22 said about another thing to carry, why would I want to watch on a 16" screen when there's a perfectly good 43" TV (or two) in the stateroom?

Kevin

I am not an expert but HDMI is feeding a signal into their system and this might mess up their IT software.  Also resetting stuff on the TVs could create TV problems that their IT people have to fix.  What I would do if I was running the cruise IT departments is just make it impossible for anyone to plug anything INTO the TV sets.  Just cover up the ports.  Better yet do something that will totally disable the TV if a cruiser tries an HDMI stunt.  That would mean that there would be negative consequences to the cruiser if they tried to mess with the TVs.

DON

• Like 1

I posted about the workaround four months back and have sailed on her since. I was surprised to learn that the old way of doing things no longer worked (they changed the ability to switch inputs as many have mentioned), but lo and behold...just in case, I brought my own remote and voila!  We WIN again!

Thanks for the, hopefully, encouraging comment.  May I inquire as to the make/model and source of the remote, you were able to select input/source? 

3 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Oops, my previous submission did not include the above as a quote.  Mea culpa.

15 minutes ago, sofee said:

Thanks for the, hopefully, encouraging comment.  May I inquire as to the make/model and source of the remote, you were able to select input/source? 

The old way of using the center toggle switch still works as before but the ability to switch to the HDMI input was removed. (at least on the Enchanted)

It still works to change to the USB input so for my needs it's still a functional TV monitor. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The old way of using the center toggle switch still works as before but the ability to switch to the HDMI input was removed. (at least on the Enchanted)

It still works to change to the USB input so for my needs it's still a functional TV monitor. 

Unless I'm missing something, the switch on the Discovery sets have only on or off function.  The two sets in our minisuite did not function like a tophat switch on a joy stick.  If the set is on, pressing switch turns it off.  If off, turns it on.  Seemingly, no other function(s).

I'm hoping seagunthera will disclose the manufacturer and model number of the remote control they used on the Discovery, to successfully change the input options.  Was it LG or a third party?  What "handshake" code(s) were entered to allow it to communicate with the Discovery set?

We will be back on the Discovery in October, for Mexico, and in December, for Hawaii.

Thanks for listening.

7 hours ago, sofee said:

Unless I'm missing something, the switch on the Discovery sets have only on or off function.  The two sets in our minisuite did not function like a tophat switch on a joy stick.  If the set is on, pressing switch turns it off.  If off, turns it on.  Seemingly, no other function(s).

I'm hoping seagunthera will disclose the manufacturer and model number of the remote control they used on the Discovery, to successfully change the input options.  Was it LG or a third party?  What "handshake" code(s) were entered to allow it to communicate with the Discovery set?

We will be back on the Discovery in October, for Mexico, and in December, for Hawaii.

Thanks for listening.

They very well could have changed things on the Discovery but didn't the TV's have a center button as described in this video (2m30sec) posted in #16? If not, then it does look like they're removing that function switch entirely to prevent people from switching the inputs.

Maybe it is time to start bringing another remote after all. 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They very well could have changed things on the Discovery but didn't the TV's have a center button as described in this video (2m30sec) posted in #16? If not, then it does look like they're removing that function switch entirely to prevent people from switching the inputs.

Maybe it is time to start bringing another remote after all. 

The button/switch is there, it simply lacks the multiple functionality that is described in other's prior posts.  I'm still hoping for some guidance on which remote to pursue. 

20 minutes ago, sofee said:

The button/switch is there, it simply lacks the multiple functionality that is described in other's prior posts.  I'm still hoping for some guidance on which remote to pursue. 

That's something I haven't seen before. It must be a new model TV.

Maybe I'll have to invest in one of those universal remoted after all. 

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We were on Enchanted last July, and I was able to change inputs. I only tried the TV by the sofa (we had a Mini Suite), though I don't remember whether I needed to do it with the remote. I carry and LG remote, Samsung remote, and a Universal. Going on Sky Princess this July, and Regal in August. I know the toggle works on Regal. Will be on Discovery next April for the Solar Eclipse cruise.

Tomorrow we're on Celebrity Equinox. It's been a while since I've been on a Solstice-class ship, so I'm hoping I can hook up the Roku. I believe they use Samsung TVs.

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I wouldn’t if I were you. I just spent a month on the Discovery 

Edited by billco

2 hours ago, billco said:

Could you please elaborate?  Are you hinting you were unsuccessful with any type of remote?

9 hours ago, billco said:

Were probably headed back to the Enchanted in the future so I can still live with it. No plans for the Discovery unless they move to Florida.

I'll be monitoring the status of other ships as well, especially the newer ships. 

9 hours ago, sofee said:

Could you please elaborate?  Are you hinting you were unsuccessful with any type of remote?

I am saying I don't think a universal remote would work, so I wouldn't try. I was in 5 different cabins on the Discovery and the manual procedure that worked on the Enchanted was locked out on all of them. If a universal remote worked I think someone would have posted it by now.

Edited by billco

2 hours ago, billco said:

I am saying I don't think a universal remote would work, so I wouldn't try. I was in 5 different cabins on the Discovery and the manual procedure that worked on the Enchanted was locked out on all of them. If a universal remote worked I think someone would have posted it by now.

Understood.  Thanks for the prompt reply.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:10 PM, kml246 said:

Not a big investment: Universal Remote

I received mine today. Surprisingly it works fine with my LG and Samsung TVs at home. Good investment for $9.00. We will soon be sailing on the NCL Bliss, Holland America Bliss, and Princess Sapphire in the next few weeks. I'll share if I get results. We also won't be on the Discovery until next year's solar eclipse cruise. Have my doubts on specialized TVs, but who knows. Thanks for the link.

2 hours ago, seagunthera said:

I simply brought an old LG remote I had around. Easy peasy!

You were able to use your remote to change inputs on the cabin tv on the Discovery Princess so you could connect your device?

Edited by billco