SAS Strike June 2022?

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Just a note for anyone flying Air Canada; they have made some schedule changes that affect the timing of the Toronto-Copenhagen route. They have also cancelled about 15% of their flights for July and August, although those are domestic and Canada-US routes. 

Flying the YYZ-CPH route on July 12. Yes, there have been several time changes...now at leaving 45 minutes later than originally scheduled,  but arriving only 15 minutes later. I get the feeling AC has done the usual "thinning" of the schedule...maybe they used to fly the route daily,  now maybe only 3 days a week now. But my flight is still on the schedule. Do you have more specific info? At least in Signature Class, it appears near sold out.

I am more concerned with our SFO-YYZ leg, which I have heard of some cuts, and our flight doesn't appear very full. It has had twice as many changes as the YYZ-CPH flight, and more dramatic as well. 

On a related topic, I emailed with the concierges at the hotel we are staying at, and mentioned the staffing issues at the airport delaying Immigration procedures and collecting bags. I got the feeling they were being subtle when they said they were aware that there had been problems. 

SAS pilots strike.
A large group of SAS pilots go on strike. This happens after an unsuccessful attempt to reach an agreement between the pilots and SAS.

The approximately 1,000 pilots are employed by SAS's parent company, SAS Scandinavia, and had announced a strike due to dissatisfaction with their pay and working conditions at SAS.

SK Flights operated by SAS Link, SAS Connect and SAS external partners: Xfly, CityJet and AirBaltic will not be affected by the strike.
Passengers shall check the status of their flight on SAS's website.

I’ll update this topic when new information.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update! Still hoping they settle before my flight on the 10th. With this news I went forward with a refundable ticket as a backup plan. Hope everyone with travel plans this week reaches their destination on time to cruise.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ASealander said:

With this news I went forward with a refundable ticket as a backup plan.

Do not cancel your SAS flight yourself - wait for them to either cancel or re- route. When SAS cancel the flight less than 14 days before departure you’re entitled to a compensation of up to € 600 per person.

Edited by hallasm

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Do not cancel your SAS flight yourself - wait for them to either cancel or re- route. When SAS cancel the flight less than 14 days before departure you’re entitled to a compensation of up to € 600 per person.

Thank you for the continued updates 

I have flight with four people july 30th through royal Caribbean. Do you think I just wait or go ahead and rebook while I can find something. I don’t want to jeopardize getting to Stockholm for the cruise 

14 minutes ago, lionheart said:

I have flight with four people july 30th through royal Caribbean

Have you been in contact with Air2Sea?

An alternative is Icelandair via Keflavik. Reasonable alternative.

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

Have you been in contact with Air2Sea?

An alternative is Icelandair via Keflavik. Reasonable alternative.

Royal won’t do anything until flight is cancelled 

1000$ to change a flight now 

13 hours ago, hallasm said:

SAS pilots strike.
A large group of SAS pilots go on strike. This happens after an unsuccessful attempt to reach an agreement between the pilots and SAS.

The approximately 1,000 pilots are employed by SAS's parent company, SAS Scandinavia, and had announced a strike due to dissatisfaction with their pay and working conditions at SAS.

SK Flights operated by SAS Link, SAS Connect and SAS external partners: Xfly, CityJet and AirBaltic will not be affected by the strike.
Passengers shall check the status of their flight on SAS's website.

I’ll update this topic when new information.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a classic good news/ bad news situation as some flights (most?) will not be affected, but some will.

And keep the updates coming.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Sounds like a classic good news/ bad news situation as some flights (most?) will not be affected, but some will.

SAS said today it was initiating a court-supervised process in the United States by a Chapter 11 filing to implement key elements of its SAS FORWARD restructuring plan.

It said in a statement it would continue to serve its customers throughout the process, although a pilot strike launched on Monday is impacting its flight schedule.

It said the purpose of the filing was to accelerate SAS’ transformation.

“To proceed with the implementation of key elements of the plan, SAS and certain of its subsidiaries have voluntarily filed for chapter 11 in the U.S., a legal process for financial restructuring conducted under U.S. federal court supervision,”

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

SAS said today it was initiating a court-supervised process in the United States by a Chapter 11 filing to implement key elements of its SAS FORWARD restructuring plan.

It said in a statement it would continue to serve its customers throughout the process, although a pilot strike launched on Monday is impacting its flight schedule.

It said the purpose of the filing was to accelerate SAS’ transformation.

“To proceed with the implementation of key elements of the plan, SAS and certain of its subsidiaries have voluntarily filed for chapter 11 in the U.S., a legal process for financial restructuring conducted under U.S. federal court supervision,”

I have a flight on July 11. So far, the website says flights until July 10 are likely to be cancelled.  No status change yet for flights starting July 11.  What can and should I do?

I checked United Airlines website.  There are alternate flights (all with stops and many times more expensive of course).  These flights are partner flights with Brussels Air or Lufthansa. Are these flights safe from strike now?  Should I check with Delta or AA?  Which is best?

50 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

I have a flight on July 11. So far, the website says flights until July 10 are likely to be cancelled.  No status change yet for flights starting July 11.  What can and should I do?

I checked United Airlines website.  There are alternate flights (all with stops and many times more expensive of course).  These flights are partner flights with Brussels Air or Lufthansa. Are these flights safe from strike now?  Should I check with Delta or AA?  Which is best?

I don't know what would be the best action, but at least you probably can't change anything regarding your existing ticket until the flight(s) are cancelled. SAS pilots' strike obviously affects only SAS flights (and not necessarily even all of those, since some flights are operated by separate subsidiaries and partner airlines and their pilots are not on strike), so if you fly other airlines then the strike should not be a problem. However, many other airlines have had various other problems lately that has lead into significant delays and cancellations, which may lead into misconnects if your itinerary includes changing planes somewhere.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dreamercruise said:

I have a flight on July 11. So far, the website says flights until July 10 are likely to be cancelled.

All SAS flights on July 11 are ‘Scheduled’ but that will very likely change tomorrow.  Right now, it is very uncertain when the strike will end.
Lufthansa or Brussels Air do not strike but have in return canceled many flights.

Two alternatives - (i) cancel SAS and reserve another flight or (ii) keep SAS and see if they fly - if not you will be rebooked by SAS to partner airline with potential later arrival - it depends on how many days before your cruise you plan to  fly .
As a contingency plan, it may be possible to book a flight ticket that can be canceled.  
As an alternative to AA or Delta also consider Icelandair.

• Thanks 1

From SAS web

IF YOUR FLIGHT IS CANCELED

We’re sorry that your journey has been disrupted by the ongoing strike. We’re doing everything we can to help you with your trip, a rebooking process starts immediately, and we will get back to you by SMS and email with information as soon as possible.

If we are able to rebook you to alternative flights, you will receive SMS with information about the new itinerary. 

If we are not able to rebook you, you will receive SMS with more information. The process with finding alternative for you can take up to a few hours. 

DEDICATED PHONE NUMBER FOR STRANDED CUSTOMERS

If you are stranded at your destination and have your return journey canceled with no new travel alternative offered, please call 0046 8 797 4100 for service, we will do our utmost to assist you.

If you have booked your ticket via a Travel Agent, please contact them directly.

CLARIFICATION FOR WORRIED PASSENGERS REGARDING PARTLY USED TICKETS

If you don't use the outbound part of your ticket, you will still be able to use the return ticket as it's not automatically canceled.

To keep you informed regarding your flight, we need your contact details. Please visit manage my bookings to ensure that your contact details are correct. If they are not, please update them online. This applies to all bookings except for charter flights.

If your flight is canceled and you don't wish to travel you can cancel and refund your ticket via My bookings.

8 hours ago, hallasm said:

All SAS flights on July 11 are ‘Scheduled’ but that will very likely change tomorrow.  Right now, it is very uncertain when the strike will end.
Lufthansa or Brussels Air do not strike but have in return canceled many flights.

Two alternatives - (i) cancel SAS and reserve another flight or (ii) keep SAS and see if they fly - if not you will be rebooked by SAS to partner airline with potential later arrival - it depends on how many days before your cruise you plan to  fly .
As a contingency plan, it may be possible to book a flight ticket that can be canceled.  
As an alternative to AA or Delta also consider Icelandair.

My July 11 flight now shows “possible change”.  Since that my schedule is inflexible (cannot depart a day earlier or later), and that there is only one flight daily flying out of US, there is no way I can choose the rescheduling option, unless SAS offers partner flight(s) on the same dates.

Per your advice, I have booked a refundable RT ticket via another airline. Price is doubled. There are no more nonstop flights, and the new itinerary involves 2 stops with one-hour layover each.  I’ll take the risk and sweat the possibility of missed connections due to possible delays in the first 2 segments.

If a miracle happens and the strike is called off this week, then I shall keep my original SAS flight.

Am I entitled to 600 Euros compensation if my flight gets cancelled?  It seems that SAS makes the formal cancellation announcement as late as 48 hours from departure.

48 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Am I entitled to 600 Euros compensation if my flight gets cancelled?

EU air passenger rights apply  If your flight arrives in the EU from outside the EU and is operated by an EU airline

If your flight is cancelled you have the right to choose between reimbursement, re-routing or return. You are also entitled to assistance at the airport.

If you were informed of the cancellation less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date, you have a right to compensation. €600 if more than Km 3,500.

However, compensation is not due if the carrier can prove that the cancellation is caused by ‘extraordinary circumstances’ which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

Previously, airlines have claimed strikes fall into that category, but the European Court of Justice definitively ruled that an organised strike by staff “does not fall within the concept of an extraordinary circumstance“

• Thanks 1

I benefited from this thread in that I was able to timely book a non-SAS flight for my specific travel dates, so I want to offer my advice to those who have upcoming SAS reservations, whether or not you have started your travel. Book an alternate flight from another airline as soon as possible.  Available flights are disappearing by the hour, and prices keep increasing.  I have been monitoring available flights and fare since yesterday morning.  As of now, whatever flight I got is it.

If you are not sure, at least pay a higher fare to get a refundable ticket. It is better to be sure you get to your destination, cruise or home, on a flight that suits your schedule and for the price you are willing to accept.

59 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

I benefited from this thread in that I was able to timely book a non-SAS flight for my specific travel dates, so I want to offer my advice to those who have upcoming SAS reservations, whether or not you have started your travel. Book an alternate flight from another airline as soon as possible.  Available flights are disappearing by the hour, and prices keep increasing.  I have been monitoring available flights and fare since yesterday morning.  As of now, whatever flight I got is it.

If you are not sure, at least pay a higher fare to get a refundable ticket. It is better to be sure you get to your destination, cruise or home, on a flight that suits your schedule and for the price you are willing to accept.

Did u book on your own?

Any chance SAS connect gets impacted ?

1 hour ago, lionheart said:

Did u book on your own?

Yes, I booked SAS and alternate vendor flights on my own. I did so, mainly because my cruise operator did not have option for nonstop flights. Can’t answer about SAS connect, because all my SAS flight segments are strictly SAS (not select or connect). SAS website said the other units are not impacted by the pilot strike. Still, I heard many of their intra-Europe flights have been cancelled.

Personally, I worry more about the cross-ocean flights than intra-Europe flights.  Once I am in Europe, somehow I can more easily find transportation to get to my final destination.  I have a one-day cushion from a hotel night pre-cruise.

1 hour ago, lionheart said:

Not by the pilot strike, however there might also be a strike by the mechanics in Denmark - same mechanics servicing both SAS and ‘SAS Connect’ planes - but it might be possible to service the SAS planes at other locations. 

SAS Link will not be impacted.

2 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Yes, I booked SAS and alternate vendor flights on my own. I did so, mainly because my cruise operator did not have option for nonstop flights. Can’t answer about SAS connect, because all my SAS flight segments are strictly SAS (not select or connect). SAS website said the other units are not impacted by the pilot strike. Still, I heard many of their intra-Europe flights have been cancelled.

Personally, I worry more about the cross-ocean flights than intra-Europe flights.  Once I am in Europe, somehow I can more easily find transportation to get to my final destination.  I have a one-day cushion from a hotel night pre-cruise.

Where are you flying from? 
there are almost no options from US to Stockholm 

30 minutes ago, lionheart said:

Where are you flying from? 
there are almost no options from US to Stockholm 

I asked my agent to look at cancel it and change it to next year if it doesn’t get better 

I can’t afford a air flight that double to triple in price and the time on plane doubling 

2 hours ago, lionheart said:

I asked my agent to look at cancel it and change it to next year if it doesn’t get better 

I can’t afford a air flight that double to triple in price and the time on plane doubling 

I am flying to Oslo.

everyone’s situation is different. I fly for a cruise, so I must get there on time. If SAS resumes flying and my original flight goes, great. Otherwise, I let them cancel me for full refund and potential compensation. Don’t think I would try them next time. Too unreliable. I cannot accept airline cancelling as late as 24-48 hrs.  Some years ago, I encountered a pilot strike situation from British Air.  They informed me of a potential strike over 2 weeks in advance. There was enough time for me to make alternative travel plan.  I ended up traveling days earlier. Airfare is more reasonable booking 2 weeks ahead instead of 2 to 6 days.

Do you think SAS will be around next year?  Or any SAS flight to/from US after consolidation?

13 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

I am flying to Oslo.

everyone’s situation is different. I fly for a cruise, so I must get there on time. If SAS resumes flying and my original flight goes, great. Otherwise, I let them cancel me for full refund and potential compensation. Don’t think I would try them next time. Too unreliable. I cannot accept airline cancelling as late as 24-48 hrs.  Some years ago, I encountered a pilot strike situation from British Air.  They informed me of a potential strike over 2 weeks in advance. There was enough time for me to make alternative travel plan.  I ended up traveling days earlier. Airfare is more reasonable booking 2 weeks ahead instead of 2 to 6 days.

Do you think SAS will be around next year?  Or any SAS flight to/from US after consolidation?

I’m shocked what a small amount of flight options I have  open to me 

SAS really had market cornered 

not sure what to do 

travel agent told me to hang tight as the prices go up