Viking excursions when in port in Tilbury (London) plus British Isles cruise excursion recommendations

GoNavyFamily

We are on a 2023 British Isles cruise (Bergen to Tilbury) and we overnight in Tilbury at the end of the cruise.  For those of you who have ported in Tilbury on Viking,  what kind of excursions were offered from there?  Are there shuttles from the ship to London or will we have to hire a car to get to London on our own on the full day we have in Tilbury before disembarking the next day? Can you take one excursion that takes you to London but meet up with a different excursion to return later?

I also am interested in hearing about any port excursions booked through the ship or privately that you are glad you did or wish you had not taken. We are on the pre-cruise extension Oslo to Bergen.

Thanks in advance!

We were docked in Tilbury recently. We didn’t pay attention to the excursions because we know the area.  We had a private car booked through Viator to take us into central London, we were staying there for a couple of weeks.  I would not recommend hiring a car, traffic is horrendous when you get close to London.
From the ship you can see Dover Castle on top of the white cliffs and this is well worth a tour.   Tilbury is across the river from where the ships docks.  You can take a ferry over and then take a train into London.
We had booked a walking tour of Tilbury and the guide was not very good.  

5 hours ago, pask said:

We were docked in Tilbury recently. We didn’t pay attention to the excursions because we know the area.  We had a private car booked through Viator to take us into central London, we were staying there for a couple of weeks.  I would not recommend hiring a car, traffic is horrendous when you get close to London.
From the ship you can see Dover Castle on top of the white cliffs and this is well worth a tour.   Tilbury is across the river from where the ships docks.  You can take a ferry over and then take a train into London.
We had booked a walking tour of Tilbury and the guide was not very good.  

I'm having a tough time understanding much of the information you posted.

Tilbury is the London Cruise Terminal and is located on the north bank of the Thames, outside the lock gated Tilbury Docks. Across the river and accessible by an adjacent small river ferry is Gravesend. While I recall Gravesend has deep sea berths, they are for bulk ships. I'm not aware of any cruise ship docking on the south side of the Thames at Gravesend.

I can envisage taking a walking tour of Gravesend, but Tilbury is an industrial port and not the most scenic area for a walking tour.

Dover Castle must be at least 60 miles away, which is located high above Dover, which is another port on the English Channel. I've been to, or passed Tilbury a few times and never seen Dover Castle. However, it is visible from the port of Dover.

• Like 2

I agree that Pask may be confused and did indeed dock in Dover.  A walking tour of Tilbury is extremely unlikely !  However I do agree that renting a car to drive into London would not be a good idea.  

There are some other threads on here about Tilbury and would recommend a search.  

It might also be a good idea to understand where Tilbury is by looking on Google Maps.

Perhaps Viking cannot always get the Greenwich location which is so much better?  However I am sure that they will offer a suitable tour.

• Like 1

The 'view of Dover Castle' did make me smile though. Wish my vision was that good!  I wonder if Pask was describing the view as they were passing Dover on the ship?

Totally agree, NOBODY would want a tour of Tilbury.

Basically go the the Viking Cruise web page,find your cruise there and go to itinerary and go through it day by day.

That’s what I do anyway when deciding on which cruise to go for.

MVJ will do the same if your cruise is booked a d showing on there.

• Like 1

Would the London excursions for Greenwich be basically the same as for Tilbury?  How would I obtain a listing of possible London excursions before they appear on MVJ?

Thank you sugarside.  I found it.

12 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

Would the London excursions for Greenwich be basically the same as for Tilbury?  How would I obtain a listing of possible London excursions before they appear on MVJ?

Here is the full list of Shore-ex available in Greenwich in 2020.

GBLON02 Classic Monuments of London     Tour Price: $194.00 CAD  Duration 8.5 hrs

See the Highlights of London on a Full-Day Tour -- Take a classic tour by some of London’s most famous landmarks,accompanied by a renowned Blue Badge licensed guide. Upon arrival in the city, you will pass Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, Parliament Square and Big Ben. See the imposing yet delicate Westminster Abbey and its vast flying buttresses. Drive through Trafalgar Square and down Whitehall, the government district where you will view The Cenotaph war memorial and the
gates to 10 Downing Street, home of the prime minister. Enjoy time for lunch and shopping in Covent Garden. A drive along the Thames features the Royal Festival Hall, the National Theater, Tate Modern and the OXO Tower. Stop for exterior photos at Sir Christopher Wren’s greatest masterpiece, St. Paul’s Cathedral. At the famed Tower of London, gaze upon the stunning Crown Jewels and hear tales of the Traitor’s Gate and the White Tower.

GBLON06 Royal Greenwich Walking Tour     Tour Price: $0.00 CAD    Duration 1.5 hrs

Time & Tide: Greenwich’s Maritime Past -- Discover Greenwich’s maritime and royal history by foot. You will join your guide for a walk that will take you past the famous Cutty Sark, the world’s only surviving tea clipper and the fastest sailing ship in the world when it was built in 1869, and the Greenwich Market, an eclectic mix of arts and crafts, and street food. Continue on to St.
Alfege Church, dedicated to the archbishop of Canterbury who was killed on this spot in 1012 and where Henry VIII was baptized. Then, stop for photos at the Queen’s House, the first classical building built in England. See the National Maritime Museum, housed in a former royal palace and the world’s largest seafaring museum, and the iconic Old Royal Naval College, the architectural centerpiece of Maritime Greenwich, before returning to your ship.

GBLON19 Imperial War Museum & Churchills War Rooms    Tour Price: $259.00 CAD    6.5 hrs

Britain and its Allies from World War I to Modern Times -- Discover the undercover work of Britain’s Special Forces and its allies, from World War I to the conflicts of today. The Imperial War Museum tells exceptional stories of people’s wartime experiences through world-class collections of objects, documents, photography and film. Join your guide for a tour of the exhibits, which tell the tales of those who lived through the *** persecution in Europe from 1933 to 1945. Discover the story of
World War II through the eyes of the British people and its empire, and gain an understanding of how Britain and its allies defeated Hitler. Then, uncover the secret world of espionage and the strategies, techniques and bravery of the men and women behind some of the most secret missions of the last century. Learn more about the remarkable life and times of Sir Winston Churchill during your visit to the secret World War II bunker and museum before returning to your ship.

GBLON26 The World of Shakespeare    Tour Price: $169.00 CAD    Duration 4 hrs

Private Tour of Iconic Theater and Stagecraft Demonstration -- Immerse yourself in the world of William Shakespeare during a private tour of the reconstructed Globe Theater. Originally built in Southwark in 1599, this historic theater’s stage entertained audiences with many of the “Bard of Avon”’s most iconic works before its closing and eventual razing in 1644. Reconstructed and reopened in 1997, this modern incarnation continues the theatrical tradition of its predecessor with
productions of works by Shakespeare, his contemporaries and modern playwrights. Upon arrival, meet your guide and begin an exclusive exploration of the theater, including its gallery and yard, before enjoying free time to visit the vast UnderGlobe, home to the world’s largest exhibition devoted to Shakespeare. Then, take a seat in the gallery for an exciting demonstration of stage fighting and learn how it was used in Shakespeare’s time during an informative question and answer session with the actors.

GBLON27 By Royal Appointment    Tour Price: $1039.00 CAD    Duration 8 hrs

Visit Favored Suppliers to Royal Households -- Discover the “Best of Britain” as you visit some of the proud holders of Royal Warrants of Appointment. The Royal Family has been recognizing tradespeople who supply goods or services to its most senior households since medieval times. During your tour, you will visit Britain’s oldest wine and spirit merchant, Berry Bros. & Rudd.
Favored suppliers since the reign of King George III, the store on St. James’s Street was established in 1698. In their Georgian town house, you will enjoy an exclusive wine tasting session followed by a sumptuous three-course lunch prepared by Head Chef Stewart Turner and his team. After lunch, enjoy free time to browse the store before continuing your stroll toward Piccadilly, where you will find several more celebrated British brands including the iconic Fortnum & Mason and a royally appointed perfumer, cheesemonger and shirt maker.

GBLON18 Chelsea Physic Garden    Tour Price: $169.00 CAD    Duration 5 hrs

Visit London’s Oldest Botanical Garden -- Visit the Chelsea Physic Garden, learning about its medicinal plants and the fortunes of its primary benefactor. In 1712, Sir Hans Sloane—a famous physician, naturalist and founder of the British Museum—purchased the gardens and manor. On a visit to Jamaica, he witnessed local women mixing cocoa with milk to treat ailments. The recipe was eventually bought by Cadbury’s, making Sloane a very wealthy man and allowing him to ensure the
survival of the gardens and manor for years to come. Home to a collection of around 5,000 edible, medicinal plants, here you will see a number of rare specimens and discover the largest outdoor fruiting olive tree in Britain. The glasshouses hold a
collection of tropical plants, complemented by a Victorian fernery. Learn about the works of the garden’s notable curators, including Philip Miller, William Forsyth and Robert Fortune, and enjoy the magnificent legacies they created. Refreshments await at the cafe before returning to your ship.

GBLON24 A Taste of London with Celia Brooks    Tour Price: $519.00 CAD    Duration 5 hrs

Visit Famous Borough Market with Renowned TV Chef -- Join renowned author and TV chef Celia Brooks for a guided gastro-tour of London’s famous Borough Market. Located in the historic district of Southwark, the market is the city’s oldest, dating back more than 1,000 years. Its numerous varied stalls reflect London’s diverse food culture, offering a wide array of items from traditional British foods to specialties from around the world. Upon arrival, meet Brooks—a former private chef for
Hollywood director Stanley Kubrick and Borough Market’s only official guide—and begin your tasting journey with freshly shucked oysters and a glass of Prosecco. As you browse the market, learn its history and sample generous tastings from a selection of local and international cheeses, rare meats, fresh scallops and more. Conclude your culinary tour with a glass of wine, cheese and charcuterie at a wine bar within the market, then board your coach to return to your ship.

GBLON12 The Tower of London    Tour Price: $184.00 CAD    Duration 4 hrs

Home of the World’s Most Valuable Collection of Crown Jewels -- Explore the intriguing past of one of Britain’s most iconic landmarks. Accompanied by your Blue Badge Guide, see the famous Beefeaters—the Yeoman Warders who live in the Tower of London, protecting it and its valuable contents 24 hours a day. Visit the White Tower, in whose dungeons terror once reigned. See Traitors’ Gate, named for the number of prisoners accused of treason rumored to have passed through it. And no trip to the Tower of London would be complete without seeing the Crown Jewels. These priceless symbols of the British monarchy include the enormous 530.2-carat Cullinan I diamond, St. Edward’s Crown—last worn for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II—and the Crown of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. This stunning piece is set with 2,800 diamonds, including the most famous
diamond in the Jewel H20 02:00 PMouse: the Koh-i-Noor. Following this fascinating journey through over 1,000 years of royal history, return to your ship.

GBLON08 London & the London Eye    Tour Price: $219.00 CAD    Duration 2.5 hrs

Admire London’s Skyline from the River and Above -- Witness the spectacle of London from the water and from the air on this enriching excursion. A panoramic boat ride along the Thames reveals the capital’s iconic landmarks. Pass the historic Tower of London and the beautiful Tower Bridge. See the Houses of Parliament Square, Big Ben and the magnificent Westminster Abbey. For an aerial view, take to the sky on board the London Eye Ferris wheel. Viking has reserved a capsule just for your group, so there will be no need to wait in line. As you slowly rise over the south bank of the Thames, take in the breathtaking views across the river from St. Paul’s Cathedral to the dramatic high-rise building at 30 St. Mary Axe known as the Gherkin. Back on the ground, you will reboard your boat for the return cruise along the Thames back to your ship.

GBLON13 Ceremony of the Keys at the London Tower    Tour Price: $234.00 CAD    3.5 hrs

An Evening Tour with Exclusive Access to a Piece of Royal History -- Enjoy a very special after-hours visit of the Tower of London and experience a unique, centuries-old tradition. The Tower of London has been the setting for many great events during its 1000-year history as a royal palace, fortress, prison, place of execution and jewel house. Nobody knows more about the history of the Tower than the Yeoman Warders, more commonly known as the Beefeaters. You will be captivated by the amazing stories of those who have guarded this fortress for centuries, passed on from generation to generation, during your private guided tour of the tower grounds including the White Tower, built by William the Conqueror in 1078. Following your tour, witness the age-old tradition of the Ceremony of the Keys, which has been enacted every night without fail for almost 700 years
by the Chief Yeoman Warder of the Tower. This is your chance to witness a piece of royal history that still exists today.

• Like 1

I realise you pay a premium for the convenience of knowing everything is organised for you but you are paying quite a premium for the Tower of London tour.  The standard adult entry ticket is £30 (about CAD 48) and the fare on the DLR (train which runs from Greenwich to Tower in far less time than any road transport can manage) is under £3