Are Movies Available?

kshannon5

Hello all,

We'll be on QM2 in May or January next year but are trying to plan ahead.

My husband and I are old movie connoisseurs (as in we love old movies, not old people who watch movies, lol!). Getting room service and watching a great old film might be a good option on a rainy/cold day.

I know movies are shown in Illuminations, but they are usually newer releases, maybe with an occasional vintage one thrown in? Is that correct? Are there on-demand movies included through in-cabin cable? Or Turner Classic Movies? 

Or are DVD players built into the tvs, with dvds available to use?

Trying to figure out all our options, thanks,

Kris

The tv programming leaves much to be desired on board ,i do not know if a player can be plugged in but i have never see anything other than a tv function . Theater movies are pot luck ,check your daily programmer [delivered to the room the night before] there are many things to do rain or shine . 

• Like 1

The TVs do not have DVD players (although the Grills cabins may have them). It is possible, with some dextrous finger work, to plug in an HDMI cable. I played a few movies on the TV using my laptop.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The movies shown in Illuminations are also shown on TV.

There is also a programme listing when the movies are due to be shown on TV for the duration of your trip.

There are no DVD players in Grill suites.

I have never seen a movie breakup in the illuminations yet on the TV's they do? I always thought they were beamed in for the TV not ran off a computer hard drive or DVD?

Edited by ace2542

No DVD players in any cabins.  There is a movie on the TV,  I remember one per day, repeated through the day.  Then another one the next day.  I also remember a couple of foreign language channels.  The selection on the TV is not extensive with much less to watch than you can find on some other cruise lines.  Tv watching is not my favorite activity on the QM2.

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

If you wanted older movies. You could always download them onto a laptop maybe? Which you could probably plug into the TV?

That's an idea. I assume USB ports in the tvs?

If not, we'll just take our chances with what's offered. Lots to do besides movies, of course!

Thank you all!

41 minutes ago, kshannon5 said:

I assume USB ports in the tvs

I honestly don't remember. But I'll check for you when we're aboard in about a week. I also have the TV/Film listing from a crossing in December. I'll see if I can track it down and scan it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I honestly don't remember. But I'll check for you when we're aboard in about a week. I also have the TV/Film listing from a crossing in December. I'll see if I can track it down and scan it.

Thank you, that is very kind of you, much appreciated!

I have the in-cabin movie guide from one of my QM2 crossings in 2019. It lists a "Classic Films" channel on channel 26. I'm not sure some of these qualify as "classics" in the sense you are asking about, @kshannon5, but here are the movies that were on the schedule for that channel.

These movies are not on-demand, but were repeated throughout the day and week. Of course different voyages will have a different selection of movies. I'm just providing this list to offer an idea of the sort of movies that were shown on the Classic Films channel back in 2019.

Day 1: Planet Of The Apes, The Internship, High Anxiety, Paper Towns, The East, Carmen Jones

Day 2: East Side Sushi, Say Anything, The Man from Snowy River, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, The Turning Point, Big Trouble In Little China

Day 3: Great Expectations, X2: X-Men United, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Miss Potter, Planet Of The Apes, Say Anything

Day 4: The Art Of Getting By, Salmon Fishing In The Yemen, The Sapphires, The Midwife, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, The Turning Point

Day 5: Solaris, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Buena Vista Social Club, The Woman In Black, City Of Ember, Paper Towns

Day 6: The East, Amber Earth, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Babette’s Feast, The Maze Runner, The Sandlot

Day 7: The Turning Point, Carmen Jones, Miss Potter, Sour Grapes, Stuck On You, Romancing The Stone

Day 8: Planet Of The Apes, Big Trouble In Little China, The Midwife, Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters, Hours, 23 Blast

And if this helps here is the list of TV channels on QM2 from 2019.

23 - Entertainment Director's Channel

24 - Cinema Channel

25 - Contemporary Films

26 - Classic Films

27 - German Language Films

28 - Spanish Language Films

29 - French Language Films

30 - Japanese Language Films

31 - BBC World

32 - Sky News

33 - CNBC

34 - MSNBC

35 - Fox News

36 - Sky Sports News

37 - ITV Choice

38 - BBC HD

39 - Prime One

40 - Live Bridge Webcam

41 - Prime Journeys

42 - Sport 24

43 - RTL

44 - Destination Channel

45 - Voyage Information from the Bridge

46 - Arts & History Channel

47 - Cunard Insights Lectures

48 - Safety Channel

49 - Tour & Travel Information

50 - Discover Channel

51 - Ships Information (clock change/dress code)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

That's an idea. I assume USB ports in the tvs?

If not, we'll just take our chances with what's offered. Lots to do besides movies, of course!

Thank you all!

There are USB ports on all of the TVs on all three Queens. I generally take a thumb drive with several films and maybe a TV series to watch if we are at a loss. A word of caution though, you need to be pretty dexterous to slot them in place a the TVs are usually flush mounted on the walls.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I have the in-cabin movie guide from one of my QM2 crossings in 2019. It lists a "Classic Films" channel on channel 26. I'm not sure some of these qualify as "classics" in the sense you are asking about, @kshannon5, but here are the movies that were on the schedule for that channel.

These movies are not on-demand, but were repeated throughout the day and week. Of course different voyages will have a different selection of movies. I'm just providing this list to offer an idea of the sort of movies that were shown on the Classic Films channel back in 2019.

Day 1: Planet Of The Apes, The Internship, High Anxiety, Paper Towns, The East, Carmen Jones

Day 2: East Side Sushi, Say Anything, The Man from Snowy River, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, The Turning Point, Big Trouble In Little China

Day 3: Great Expectations, X2: X-Men United, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Miss Potter, Planet Of The Apes, Say Anything

Day 4: The Art Of Getting By, Salmon Fishing In The Yemen, The Sapphires, The Midwife, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, The Turning Point

Day 5: Solaris, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Buena Vista Social Club, The Woman In Black, City Of Ember, Paper Towns

Day 6: The East, Amber Earth, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Babette’s Feast, The Maze Runner, The Sandlot

Day 7: The Turning Point, Carmen Jones, Miss Potter, Sour Grapes, Stuck On You, Romancing The Stone

Day 8: Planet Of The Apes, Big Trouble In Little China, The Midwife, Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters, Hours, 23 Blast

And if this helps here is the list of TV channels on QM2 from 2019.

23 - Entertainment Director's Channel

24 - Cinema Channel

25 - Contemporary Films

26 - Classic Films

27 - German Language Films

28 - Spanish Language Films

29 - French Language Films

30 - Japanese Language Films

31 - BBC World

32 - Sky News

33 - CNBC

34 - MSNBC

35 - Fox News

36 - Sky Sports News

37 - ITV Choice

38 - BBC HD

39 - Prime One

40 - Live Bridge Webcam

41 - Prime Journeys

42 - Sport 24

43 - RTL

44 - Destination Channel

45 - Voyage Information from the Bridge

46 - Arts & History Channel

47 - Cunard Insights Lectures

48 - Safety Channel

49 - Tour & Travel Information

50 - Discover Channel

51 - Ships Information (clock change/dress code)

Wow, thank you for such detail! Give me a good idea of what to expect.

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

I generally take a thumb drive with several films and maybe a TV series to watch if we are at a loss. A word of caution though, you need to be pretty dexterous to slot them in place a the TVs are usually flush mounted on the walls.

Great idea! I might try this. Thank you!

3 hours ago, frankp01 said:

BlueMarble's channel listing is much easier to read than this scan. But this will give you an idea of what movies were shown on the six ship's channels for one day, in addition to the commercial channels. This was in December, so the movies skewed towards holiday themes...

QM2 TV guide Monday.pdf 1.69 MB · 4 downloads

Thank you! Good to get a glimpse.

34 minutes ago, kshannon5 said:

Wow, thank you for such detail! Give me a good idea of what to expect.

Glad to help. @frankp01's attachment indicates there have been some adjustments to the TV channels on QM2 since 2019 (not surprising). I note channel 26 is still listed as the "Classic Films" channel, but channel 51 is now the "Movies Then" channel with schedule provided. Perhaps you will have two choices for channels showing older (if not truly "classic") movies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Glad to help. @frankp01's attachment indicates there have been some adjustments to the TV channels on QM2 since 2019 (not surprising). I note channel 26 is still listed as the "Classic Films" channel, but channel 51 is now the "Movies Then" channel with schedule provided. Perhaps you will have two choices for channels showing older (if not truly "classic") movies.

Probably is though they are all digitally beamed into the ship not ran off hard drives so the quality is up in the air which is sad. Though Cunard seems to get better quality than other lines.

• Like 1

I wouldn't attempt to stream anything onboard using their wifi connection or whatever it is not the best so streaming might not work the way you hoped it would. And also being based out of UK you may find some streaming sites are blocked due to UK court orders.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 4:01 AM, frankp01 said:

The TVs do not have DVD players (although the Grills cabins may have them). It is possible, with some dextrous finger work, to plug in an HDMI cable. I played a few movies on the TV using my laptop.

I think the closest you'd get to a DVD player in the grills is using the Playstation 4 as one, which even then is only Q1 to 4.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MylesS said:

I think the closest you'd get to a DVD player in the grills is using the Playstation 4 as one, which even then is only Q1 to 4.

No reason they couldn't bring a DVD player onboard with them? They are not that big.