Lisbon to Copenhagen

Mackdogmolly

20 hours ago, AJCM said:

Hi Mackdogmolly

Would you be so kind as to provide a bit more detail. Where is the shuttle located and how did you get to it? Does it take you to the station? If not, how far to walk to it from the bus stop and from where in Blankenberg.

Thanks

The shuttle is right at the ship and took us into the center of Blankenberg. Very near the train station. There was a promotional special of 2 RT tickets to Brugge for 6.5 euros. Less than a half hour trip, if that. We did not really spend any time in Blankenberge 

• Like 1

We managed to hop off the ship this morning and take the shuttle to near Central Station, where we grabbed some breakfast and had our canal cruise after all! Back on the ship in plenty of time for our 1:00pm sail away. 

0F9F0E83-1555-4A45-8F32-651C9BC4626B.jpeg

6BD5BC01-B431-4796-8CAF-75178C1BA63D.jpeg

A3630BD5-4A60-4659-B44A-FEA5D63D2611.jpeg

5B9A0351-ABD8-4C22-AF8E-BD1652635D95.jpeg

D1A4A6EE-9ED4-4727-95E5-E44ABDAC38C2.jpeg

• Like 3

Entered the Kiel Canal late, about 9:00 am?, and according to the Captain, it will be one of the slowest transits ever. He is not pleased with the local “jarheads”, as he is calling the authorities who are calling the shots. Says he will have to put the “pedal to the metal” to get to Copenhagen on time .

3CBBEA4F-7736-4E34-97CE-D1A5C3D66B94.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm I live in Kiel and I can say you are well on time. Quest had only 30 minutes to wait, we have here sometimes days where you have to wait 1-12 hours to join the Kiel Canal (Viking Cruises had to wait 2 times around 10 hours). So I don't know why the captain is telling that. You should be around 6-7 p.m in Kiel and then with moderate speed to Copenhagen. Today there is also less traffic in the Canal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ulsteinvik said:

Hmm I live in Kiel and I can say you are well on time. Quest had only 30 minutes to wait, we have here sometimes days where you have to wait 1-12 hours to join the Kiel Canal (Viking Cruises had to wait 2 times around 10 hours). So I don't know why the captain is telling that. You should be around 6-7 p.m in Kiel and then with moderate speed to Copenhagen. Today there is also less traffic in the Canal.

Beats me! Just repeating what seemed to be his frustration! I have never been through the canal, so have no basis for comparison.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

He's also probably too inexperienced about the Kiel Canal rules. I hope you enjoy the daylight transit, I will try to make later some photos of Quest around the Kiel area in the afternoon. Hopefully with no rain 📸

Knowing Captain Johannes who is master I very much doubt his inexperience of the Kiel. 

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not saying he's inexperienced, he just seems not to know how the canal works. Maybe he was frustrated that he is not allowed to navigate the ship himself through the canal because each ship over 100 metres needs a "Kiel Canal helmsman" and they are navigating the ships safely through the channel.

The Azamara Quest took exactly 9 hours for the passage. Any other ship of this size needs the same time. So it was not "the slowest transit ever" like he said. Now she is on the way to Copenhagen with 17 knots.

• Like 1

We went through the Kiel Canal on Azamara before covid and there were problems with a lock and some frustration. Many years before I had done the same trip with friends from Hamburg in their own boat and it took the same time. I don't recall the transit through the Suez with Azamara being anything other than serene and slow. I think the captain and crew are anxious at not being in control.of their own ship. 

• Like 1

We had a lovely couple of days in Copenhagen, with excellent weather. The city was hopping, both with many cruise ships and with an abundance of other tourists because of the Tour de France. We left for home on 6/30, in advance of the start on 7/1. While there, we did a hop on/hop off bus circuit and a canal cruise and saw the changing of the guard at Amalienborg Palace, a MUCH less crowded affair than Buckingham palace! The food was good too, but such an expensive city!! And of course we had Smorrebrad!

D3AEC3DF-8204-4D70-BE06-420139CDD7C0.jpeg

A2248659-ED94-44FA-BDD0-E5F5F8F55425.jpeg

622E394F-68B2-49E5-9F4D-DF3EC5492D3F.jpeg

80495221-893A-4A94-8455-80CC1F1678C4.jpeg

765235D4-F95F-4915-B6A5-4263D57ECC49.jpeg

27ADDEDB-B41C-4721-9753-3A4E7A660725.jpeg

56ABEC8A-4A62-4A0B-BE97-5C4BC26FF2EA.jpeg

AF6F145E-C3C1-480B-BB05-EF835B9415D4.jpeg

12C7EE3C-5092-4B39-A057-B8BE06805D5F.jpeg

5DD9EFC2-799D-460E-89C1-97EBA268D684.jpeg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

One more thing (although I can’t promise I won’t think of others)! I thought the food at White Night was good, but certainly not great.

Thanks so much for taking us along on your cruise. 

How was Copenhagen Airport? Like many airports it seems to have encountered some issues.

On 7/1/2022 at 7:13 PM, nordski said:

Thanks so much for taking us along on your cruise. 

How was Copenhagen Airport? Like many airports it seems to have encountered some issues.

We didn’t have any issues, but we allowed for a lot of extra time!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We didn’t have any issues, but we allowed for a lot of extra time!

Thanks very much,

Extra time at most airports seems to be more and more important,

• Like 3