Lunacy? A last minute cruise… with a 3 and 1 year old

raino144

Popping up again to update…

Grandiosa didn’t work out, I’ve been sent overseas with work which conflicts with cruise timing. World Europa duplex booked for Easter’24 instead.

We did worry about the kids near the balcony, but the balcony is about 1m20 high so unless the kids climbed on the furniture they weren’t getting anywhere near it. One of us was watching the kids like a hawk (on the balcony) whenever they were there.

Edited by raino144

On 11/6/2022 at 10:50 AM, raino144 said:

Late update: we have reserved a YC Duplex on Grandiosa next Easter. Same itinerary but in reverse. Reason for going for the Duplex: it’s on the front of the ship and has full height glass on the balcony so safer for the kids. And jacuzzi. Will be strange doing YC but not staying in the YC ‘zone’!

I am not sure how to "tag" it, but if you are in the MSC Boards, type in "YC Duplex Suite Meraviglia" or go to my postings for the description - our family just got off last weekend and had a duplex suite. There are pros and cons, and if you have specific questions you can email me at prehospitalmd@gmail.com. 

The balcony is super safe for kids as long as you keep the door to the balcony locked (i.e. don't let kiddos near the hot tub unattended as they could absolutely climb in). It's the actual stairs to the upper loft bedroom that are scary. 

The frustrating thing about not being in the YC "proper" is not having and easy elevator access to the YC - you have to go down hallways to get to a very busy bank of elevators. Easy enough for us (we are in our 50s and kiddo is 13), but may be a PIA for a family with 2 kids under 3. 

Happy to help with any specific questions! 

Warmest, Amy

Hi Amy, we weren’t able to take Grandiosa this time (working in Asia this Easter) but have got the duplex on World Europa next year. 

It looks like we can exit from the upstairs onto Deck 18 and stay in YC zone… we will see!

Postscript: kids will be 5 and 3 next year, full usage of DoReMi kids club is planned!

Edited by raino144

4 hours ago, raino144 said:

Hi Amy, we weren’t able to take Grandiosa this time (working in Asia this Easter) but have got the duplex on World Europa next year. 

It looks like we can exit from the upstairs onto Deck 18 and stay in YC zone… we will see!

Postscript: kids will be 5 and 3 next year, full usage of DoReMi kids club is planned!

Awesome (for the DoReMi Club and your 18th floor "exit strategy"). 

That ship looks amazing - curious if they continue the "Oh Lord The Color Is Really That Orange" theme on the stairs. 😆

Have a wonderful time! Amy

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, amygutman said:

The frustrating thing about not being in the YC "proper" is not having and easy elevator access to the YC - you have to go down hallways to get to a very busy bank of elevators.

4 hours ago, raino144 said:

On the World Class ships, the YC Duplex Suites (some with hot tub, some without) are within the Yacht Club complex.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Two Wheels Only. The deck plan was inconclusive and the ship so new there was little info available.

In fact the MSC renders didn’t even show the full height glass on the front, which panicked us for a while, given why we chose this cabin with the kids!!!

Edit: We’re in 16006 which is next door to the duplex reviewed by our German friends on YouTube. Seeing the review calmed our nerves.

Edited by raino144

Further update… we have a hold on the Duplex on Grandiosa in October this year as well! As long as work holidays are approved we’re sailing this year too 🙂

I checked Voyagers Club after my Gold status match… sat on 8300 points (?!) so the October cruise will send me over the threshold to Diamond (1500 for cruise plus some random on board spending for sure). 

5 hours ago, raino144 said:

Further update… we have a hold on the Duplex on Grandiosa in October this year as well! As long as work holidays are approved we’re sailing this year too 🙂

I checked Voyagers Club after my Gold status match… sat on 8300 points (?!) so the October cruise will send me over the threshold to Diamond (1500 for cruise plus some random on board spending for sure). 

Nice!

• 6 months later...

Updating this thread as we are now T-2 weeks…

Really looking forward to our Grandiosa cruise. Duplex confirmed, kids already ramping up for the holiday!

As we caught “New Covid” a couple of weeks ago and are now clear again we are comfortable that they will let us on 😂

Will try and post updates again, let me know what you are interested in. NB. With kids 5 and 2, we will be back in the suite by 8:30 each night 😂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, raino144 said:

Updating this thread as we are now T-2 weeks…

Really looking forward to our Grandiosa cruise. Duplex confirmed, kids already ramping up for the holiday!

As we caught “New Covid” a couple of weeks ago and are now clear again we are comfortable that they will let us on 😂

Will try and post updates again, let me know what you are interested in. NB. With kids 5 and 2, we will be back in the suite by 8:30 each night 😂

Is MSC testing or requiring test results in Europe now??

1 hour ago, raino144 said:

Not as far as I know. But with another batch of Covid flying around, they could change the rules before our departure date, based on what they did in 2020-22…

With two ships heading to Israel next week for embarkation and disembarkation MSC surely has other things to worry than Covid. Enjoy your cruise, we will go in three weeks time with our kids and my brothers family with a 1 year old kid. But we are familiar to travel MSC with kids 🙂

• Like 1