Tipping in Italy

cruz_happy

We were in Italy last month,  (Meant to post this earlier but got sidetracked.). Before our trip, we had researched, read several articles and posts about not needing to tip in Italy.  (We did see in our research that "rounding up" in taxis was normal but not really elsewhere.).

I know some will disagree with me but tipping is very welcome in Italy, especially in tourist activities following almost 1-1/2 years of no tourism due to Covid-19.   We were so confused that we finally asked our hotel receptionist, whom we had befriended, what the policy was around tipping there.  (BTW, I had offered her a tip for something she went above and beyond in helping me out of a severe jam and she refused to accept it but was appreciative for the offer.). She said this is a misconception.  She said tipping is welcome though not required in Italy to whatever one feels right to do so.  She did say it wasn't a generally acceptable amount (like in the USA with 18-20% at restaurants).  She also warned to check restaurant bills before adding a tip to be sure there isn't a "service charge" listed, which is commonly in lieu of a tip.  One of our tour guides we talked with said that after the long time with Covid and no tourism, these tips are extremely appreciated.  (The Italian government only provided a nominal amount to help during Covid which equated to roughly 2 months pay for that tour guide.) 

During our trip, we tipped our tour guides and at restaurants.  All were so appreciative every time, much more appreciative than in the States.  Several did not expect it but were sincerely thankful for the tip. 

I write this hoping to help others like us that were so confused about whether to tip or not in Italy.  Enjoy your time there; we did!

• Like 4

I'm sure you're right that some extra money was very welcome after the last two years, especially for hospitality workers who earned nothing for a long time.  Not many of us turned down the stimulus checks, I'll bet.

And I'm also sure everyone you tipped was gracious about it, but really, what else could or would they do?  Their job is to make you happy, make you feel welcome and appreciated.

And you felt good doing it, didn't you?  So it feels like everyone won.

Except they didn't.  That first hit off a crack pipe feels awfully good in the moment (so I'm told) but it quickly becomes expected and then necessary.  It's hard to resist when everyone around you is doing it, but to resist is to make the moral choice.

Tipping is a crude way of compensating anyone for their work, imposing it on a system that doesn't already have it just spreads a condescending practice further afield.

Which is not to say that there is no tipping at all in Italy, you've already noted that rounding up in taxis and restaurant checks in common, but it's not thought of as a tip the way it is in the States.  It's as much a convenience for the customer as anything, not having to deal with coins in change.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

I'm sure you're right that some extra money was very welcome after the last two years, especially for hospitality workers who earned nothing for a long time.  Not many of us turned down the stimulus checks, I'll bet.

And I'm also sure everyone you tipped was gracious about it, but really, what else could or would they do?  Their job is to make you happy, make you feel welcome and appreciated.

And you felt good doing it, didn't you?  So it feels like everyone won.

Except they didn't.  That first hit off a crack pipe feels awfully good in the moment (so I'm told) but it quickly becomes expected and then necessary.  It's hard to resist when everyone around you is doing it, but to resist is to make the moral choice.

Tipping is a crude way of compensating anyone for their work, imposing it on a system that doesn't already have it just spreads a condescending practice further afield.

Which is not to say that there is no tipping at all in Italy, you've already noted that rounding up in taxis and restaurant checks in common, but it's not thought of as a tip the way it is in the States.  It's as much a convenience for the customer as anything, not having to deal with coins in change.

I hear you.  I’ve traveled to many European countries and I know it is rare, in some cases nonexistent.   But would I do it again for exceptional service that we got?  Yes.   One can tell sincere appreciation from an “Oh that’s nice; thank you.”   This was sincere ( or they are very good actors).    

Mainly, it’s up to each person—-tip if you want or don’t.   Just thought I’d share our experience. 

51 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

Mainly, it’s up to each person—-tip if you want or don’t.   Just thought I’d share our experience. 

I do understand about for very exceptional service but really the guides etc were doing what they should do. 

As euro cruiser pointed out the problem is by introducing the culture into a country you affect things. For example, I know Rome in Limo is an American based company that mentions the idea of tips on their advertising. I am sure the drivers are paid a good wage as it is part of European culture to do so but tipping affects others. I actually don't use them because I know they expect to be tipped. 

I have found it is a problem in Australia in places like Sydney near the tourism area, more expectation of tipping and we did have have things like job keeper to help during the pandemic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't believe anyone ever said tipping was insulting in Italy, just that it's not expected, or part of the model for compensation (like some jobs in the US). 

That said, the more that tourists go in and "tip" according to their own country's guidelines and habits, the more things change for the locals who actually live in these places. Pretty soon they are having to tip like tourists in order to get services that before were ungrudgingly provided without expectation of anything beyond the agreed charge.

I understand what you are saying about COVID -- but really, isn't what you're talking about charity, and not tipping?  🤨

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's very hard to behave differently from what is usual where you are from.  I was reading something recently that said people in Bulgaria and Albania shake their heads from side to side to indicate "yes", while they bob their heads up and down to mean "no".  I thought how exhausting it would be to communicate if you have to re-train your natural reactions or risk saying exactly the opposite of what you mean.  Or how hard to understand what someone else is saying if the word used means one thing to me and the gesture the opposite.

Changing one's tipping habits when traveling can be equally difficult and unnatural, yet it's the polite thing to do. 

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

@euro cruiser I found it quite the opposite changing tipping habits. I really wish the US would/could change away from tipping culture. I loved being in European countries and not worrying about tipping. During the peak of Covid, people here really started tipping service employees more, which was fine. The only problem is, I think it just made things worse. I've always felt you tip based on service, well now things can be pretty crappy and you're still expected to tip stupid amounts.  Some restaurants are starting to add service charges, but those still don't work and can be over 20%.

At any rate, I am quite happy to follow the cultural norms in Europe, especially when I don't have to stress about tipping. And guess what, the service was generally quite good, even without added tips!

• Like 3

On 6/28/2022 at 7:44 AM, euro cruiser said:

Bulgaria a

Actually, it's quite specific to Sofia, in Bulgaria. My friend and his wife lived there for a while, they've lived in many places as he is an international capital markets consultant (Bosnia, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, China, Thailand, Mozambique, Paris, Cairo, Philippines, Bhutan, it goes on and on where I have postcards from!) as the side-to-side YES head shaking evidently was not a thing outside the capitol city. 

I'm not sure about Albania.

As for the tipping, we've had the topic discussion on here for years on Cruise Critic (and our old sister boards Independent Traveler, Family Vacation Critic) over and over. Personal choice is always up to the individual, and special circumstances can never be predicted, but part of being a global citizen is not only abiding by the laws of the land wherever we are in the world, but respecting the cultural standards and practices. 

No one is ever expected to morph into or fully enmesh oneself so much as to attempt to fully localize to oneself's surroundings, as this would be so uncomfortable such as to render travel and exploration quite awkward, impractical, even possibly offensive. What is necessary is doing our best to understand the local environment (err on the side of caution always) and, respect the principles and keep them front of mind always. It's not about our comfort, we are guests. New turf, new rules. 

You did right cruzhappy, you asked, made nice connections and a pandemic certainly isn't something that happens much, is it? But it impacted everyone, everywhere in Italy and worldwide. So it makes sense to think on a large scale in this case because we generally do not know how relief efforts were going locally, regionally, nationally. They are working, they are getting paid.

But we don't know the bigger picture, bright, dark or otherwise. And we can help, but it always makes sense to do due diligence if that's the plan, so that the help gets well utilized and managed, if one does decide to take action. Tipping is limited to one person, or a small group (hotels and tours/drivers, etc sometimes work together) so the money isn't getting much traction, whereas an organization or relief effort can stretch a dollar or euro, rand, peso, lira... to greatest extent and reach. There are ratings guides that check the effectiveness of all organizations (Charity Navigator is one) that receive donations, just use google. 

In this case, it sounds like everyone was happy/satisfied and relationships were formed. But it is important to think of long term effects, especially for people who live there year-round, who maybe visit and can't afford tip (students, shoe-string travelers) but still should be treated properly, that ought not create a tiered level of treatment that could emerge should the tipping become expected or adopted in a country where people are paid real wages (what's real wages is debatable everywhere, I get it, and that's not a travel topic) for their work, even if that may not be the case in a lot of countries, unfortunately. Again, it's part of being responsible travelers, good citizens. 

If we visit somewhere and know the person is barely getting paid or tips are part of the earnings, tip away. If you travel and want to give back to the area you're visiting, investigate the best ways to make the most of that contribution. Otherwise, pardon the pun,  but when in Rome...be Roman 😎 (why be anything else?) 

But again, very glad you had a lovely experience cruzhappy, and thanks for sharing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1