Queensferry/Edinburgh?

I took the train into town from South Queensferry in 2017.  The post that I found the information on how to get to Edinburgh by train is no longer available but if you want to send me your e-mail address, I have the directions written out in my travel journal and I can give you the details, plus a map.  You can e-mail me at brsinger@outlook.com.

Barb

If you don't want to send me your e-mail address, you can find the information I posted on the roll call for the Emerald Princess, Aug. 13, 2022 to the British Isles with Orkney.  Click on that roll call (it was started by Bapaleg) and to post 198 on pg. 8.  Click on the link and it should give you the map and directions.

I hope this helps.  My husband and I were supposed to be taking this cruise but had to cancel due to his needing a knee replacement.  We are now booked for the same itinerary for next Aug. of 2023.

Barb

Catch bus 43 https://www.lothianbuses.com/timetables/cruiselink-x99/ Return trip 10GBP. Takes 45 minutes as it is a regular bus route with lots of stops. Bus stop is opposite police station about 1.3km stroll from Hawes pier. There is a closer stop about 1km but harder to describe where to catch unless you can use Google maps - just select the bus symbol instead of car. Get off at the St Andrews House stop -very central. This should give you 5 hours in Edinburgh.

Also I have been advised there are usually buses right at the dock specifically for cruise passengers. Ask for advice from the people in a purple vest/jacket who are there to assist.

10 hours ago, Wendy-Europe said:

The x99 is the best choice,  took it 2 days ago and it is the the most easy way to go to Edinburgh. 

@Wendy-EuropeCan you speak to some of the specifics regarding this trip?  What time did you board the  bus and how long did it take you to arrive from the port?  When did you decide to return and was there any issue with crowding or not having room to travel back? I've read some information from over the years about issues with having to wait for buses either to leave or return, and was hoping to learn from you. 

The bus takes - depending on the traffic, which can be VERY different!, about 45-60 minutes to the center of Edinburgh each way.

The busstop is just at the end of the docking berth for the tenderboat - you cannot miss it. Very convenient.

Lothian Bus provides enough buses, the departure is about every 20 minutes. A bus leaves when the next bus is made available for boarding - so you can always get on and at least sit down. For us, due to windy weather, tendering was very delayed and took a long time - so we didn't have as much time in Edinburgh as we would have liked. But that had nothing to do with the X99 bus.

You could pay by credit card, there was an additional ticket offered, which also included a Hop On-Hop Off city tour (with live commentary, not from tape), we opted for this and were very satisfied with the city tour. (10 pounds transfer bus to Edinburgh including day ticket public transport, 16 pounds additional Hop On Hop Off).

The last bus ride back was announced for 14:30 (all onboard should be 16:00), but I think there were buses until 15:00.

Lothian Bus always adjusts the X99 bus route to the berthing times of the ships, the line also only runs on days with a ship in Queensferry harbor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, Wendy-Europe said:

The x99 is the best choice,  took it 2 days ago and it is the the most easy way to go to Edinburgh. 

Pulling this back up from July. Wendy do you know where the X99 drops you off in the City Centre? Is it at the HOHO start at Saint Andrews Square North? We are planning to do the same excursion next August. Thank you!

Edited by georgemoe
typo

16 hours ago, georgemoe said:

Pulling this back up from July. Wendy do you know where the X99 drops you off in the City Centre? Is it at the HOHO start at Saint Andrews Square North? We are planning to do the same excursion next August. Thank you!

I'm not Wendy, but...  The bus stop in Edinburgh is South St David Street (Stop PL).  This is just north of Waverley Train Station and very near St. Andrew Square.  Details in the link below.  Judging from what I see on Google maps, Stop PL is on the other side of the Square from the HOHO buses (you can see them on the satellite view in Google Maps) and down South St. David Street a little bit.  Stop PL shows up on Google maps as well.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I'm not Wendy, but...  The bus stop in Edinburgh is South St David Street (Stop PL).  This is just north of Waverley Train Station and very near St. Andrew Square.  Details in the link below.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/

Thanks. I thought this was just the pickup to return to Hawes Pier. If it's both no worries. Super close to TourEdinburgh buses.

4 minutes ago, georgemoe said:

Thanks. I thought this was just the pickup to return to Hawes Pier. If it's both no worries. Super close to TourEdinburgh buses.

I guess now that you say that, it could be.  But I would suspect they just park the buses once for drop off and pickups.  But, I suppose they might drop off closer to the north side of the Square so you can get right on the HOHO buses.  But either way, as you say, super close.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1