Travel insurance if not based in UK

MUAAZ

Hi everyone hope you all are fine. 

I'm from outside the UK. The travel insurance company that is partnered with PnO cruises provides insurance ONLY TO UK residents. Im outside of UK,, Im not a UK OR USA OR EUROPE resident.....im from ASIA .........No international insurance website is giving me travel insurance for my cruise........what should I do to get the travel insurance for my PnO cruise that is due next april 
Kindly guide.
Thanks😊

• Host Sharon changed the title to Travel insurance if not based in UK

Surely it is no different from me purchasing a fly cruise to/from somewhere in Asia from an Asian cruise line? I would have thought one of your local insurance companies would be able to cover you?

Im in PAKISTAN. there is no concept of cruising here. So no company offers any travel insurance for cruises here

And there is no insurance broker or agent here. 
Kindly tell me any UK OR EUROPE based insurance company that can give me a cover for my cruise

1 hour ago, MUAAZ said:

Im in PAKISTAN. there is no concept of cruising here. So no company offers any travel insurance for cruises here

And there is no insurance broker or agent here. 
Kindly tell me any UK OR EUROPE based insurance company that can give me a cover for my cruise

Muzak, from experience, my wife is Malaysian, and prior to being a UK resident she could not take out a policy from a UK based insurance company. You can only obtain insurance from your Country of residence.

I can only advise you to gather all the requirements that P&O insist on, and then make contact with insurers in Pakistan. If they will not cover you, then unfortunately, as is my understanding, then you won't get cover elsewhere.

Best of luck.

Since I don't think anyone in the P&O Cruises Uk forum will be able to assist you , I am moving this post to one with a more international readership. Maybe they can help.

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

Since I don't think anyone in the P&O Cruises Uk forum will be able to assist you , I am moving this post to one with a more international readership. Maybe they can help.

Actually Sharon, there is a forum for Cruise/Travel Insurance which would be the place to move this thread.  Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

On 7/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, MUAAZ said:

I do not think you need an insurance specific for cruising. you’ll need a travel insurance covering primarily medical treatment and additional cost of travel if any Emergency medical problems.
I’m only having a standard travel insurance from my credit card provider - does cover all travel related issues. Have been cruising for 30 years.

Along with what Hallasm is saying, here in the US, we don't buy "Cruise" insurance. We purchase "Travel Insurance".  When asking for travel dates, we just put the day we walk out of our door to begin our vacation/holiday, and the date we anticipate walking back in our house. For destination we only need to put 1 country that we are visiting.

If you turn up in the UKat P&O without cruise specific insurance you will be denied boarding. I know the other posters are trying to help but this is not USA, and P&O are very clear on this.

Tou also need a minimum of £2million mmedical cover, which must also include Covid19.

13 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

If you turn up in the UKat P&O without cruise specific insurance you will be denied boarding. I know the other posters are trying to help but this is not USA, and P&O are very clear on this.

Tou also need a minimum of £2million mmedical cover, which must also include Covid19.

Not to be difficult. Just trying to learn the difference.

What is special about "Cruise" insurance vs. a regular "Travel" insurance?

Or???? is this just one of those corporate policies that makes absolutely no sense, and you just live with it.  We have those here in the States also. 😕

25 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

If you turn up in the UKat P&O without cruise specific insurance you will be denied boarding

Might be true that “it is mandatory for all UK guests to have suitable travel insurance coverage” but all the additional ‘cruise related coverage’ is not required

Might very well be that P&O try to sell ‘cruise specific insurance’ as they have partnered with Holiday Extras but you’ll do not need such a ‘cruise specific insurance’ as long as yout travel insurance meet the requirements in P&O Terms and conditions:

“It is a condition of the Contract that every Guest must have adequate and appropriate insurance. This must include cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment and full and valid medical cover for pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries that the Guest is due to visit and which must remain in force for the entire duration of the Package. The insurance policy(ies) must, as a minimum, include medical and repatriation coverage for not less than £2 million and must include cover for the cost of emergency evacuations from the ship, including but not limited to, evacuations by helicopter. It is the Guest’s responsibility to ensure that adequate and appropriate insurance is in place for the entire duration of the package.”

19 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Not to be difficult. Just trying to learn the difference.

What is special about "Cruise" insurance vs. a regular "Travel" insurance?

Or???? is this just one of those corporate policies that makes absolutely no sense, and you just live with it.  We have those here in the States also. 😕

I believe since the outbreak of Covid, not all insurance companies in the UK cover cruising as  standard on their policies. P&O UK insist that you have cruise specific policies, and you should be able to prove this, along with cover to include Covid 19 related illness. 

Now it does seem to be hit and miss as to how much scrutiny in viewing your onsurance documents at the port, but there have most definately been cases of passengers being denied boarding for not meeting this reauirement.

I am talking of P&O ships departing from the UK, I do not know about from other countries.

41 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

P&O UK insist that you have cruise specific policies,

I believe it’s wrong to call it ‘cruise specific policies,’ but insurance must meet P&O Terms and Conditions - see my post #12

50 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I believe it’s wrong to call it ‘cruise specific policies,’ but insurance must meet P&O Terms and Conditions - see my post #12

From P&O uk website.

Will I need travel insurance and how can I arrange this with Holiday Extras?

UK Guests 

Yes, it is mandatory for all UK guests to take out comprehensive cruise-specific travel insurance for their holiday with us. While we hope you never have to use it, the policy will ensure you’re able to relax and enjoy your holiday with the peace of mind that you’re protected, should you need it. 

When travelling with us, your insurance must include medical and repatriation cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19. You must also ensure your policy includes cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment and full cover for any and all existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit. 

Your travel insurance documents will be checked at the terminal and must cover the entire duration of your holiday. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you don’t have appropriate cover.

P&O Cruises has partnered with Holiday Extras to offer appropriate, comprehensive travel insurance cover for our holidays. 

To find out more, visit www.holidayextras.com/pocruises or phone 0800 093 3070 and quote PAOHX  -  

41 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Will I need travel insurance and how can I arrange this with Holiday Extras?

What P&O is writing at their web doesn't match their Terms and Conditions - I just checked my Credit Card travel coverage and it does match the P&O terms and conditions - however not a 'Cruise specific' Insurance.

I have been cruising for 30+ years and no cruise line hasn't questioned my coverage. However not cruised P&O - and if the do require a 'Cruise Specific' Insurance from Holiday Extras I will find another cruise line.

7 minutes ago, hallasm said:

What P&O is writing at their web doesn't match their Terms and Conditions - I just checked my Credit Card travel coverage and it does match the P&O terms and conditions - however not a 'Cruise specific' Insurance.

I have been cruising for 30+ years and no cruise line hasn't questioned my coverage. However not cruised P&O - and if the do require a 'Cruise Specific' Insurance from Holiday Extras I will find another cruise line.

I have not used Holiday Extras. I have used Staysure. Price didn't seem more expensive than previously to include cruise cover that fulfils P&O requirements for UK based travellers.

This may or may not be the case for overseas passengers. You would need to check with them directly. 

The OP was looking to purchase a policy from an insurer based in the UK, which he cannot.