A few questions

CStorm

This will be our third trip to Alaska and our first one-way (Southbound) July 2023.  We are booked on the Millennium. 

• We are looking at the train from Anchorage to Seward, pros/cons?
  • In Juneau we have done Mendenhall and Whale Watching both times.  Not interested in a sea plane or helicopter.  Other suggestions?
  • In Skagway, really want to do the train again.  Previously did a tour with a bus, Emerald lake, dog sledding and the train back.  Is the roundtrip train a good trip?  The train was the highlight.  Anything else we should do here?
  • ISP, husbands want to halibut fish, my sister and I don't.  Recommendations on fishing charters?  Other things to do?  Considering whale watching here instead of Juneau. 
  • Ketchikan,  going to do the Bering Sea Crab tour.  We've done bear watching with Michelle at Island Wings so looking for something else to do here as well.  

• "We are looking at the train from Anchorage to Seward, pros/cons?"

The train is scenic and it gets you there. Using a one-way rental car would be expensive, but allow you to stop and sightsee along the way.

If you fly into Anchorage and the day before and take the early morning train offered by the Alaska Railroad, you'd have time for a Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding your ship.

Here's the local vendors at Icy Strait Point (Hoonah): http://visithoonah.com/experiences/ Another option for halibut fishing is to fly into Anchorage a couple of days before your cruise and fish out of Whittier or Seward.

The Kenai fjords tour was WAY better than any whale watching or glacier viewing that we did during our cruise....in comparison, the things we did during the cruise were boring....

the train was amazing, I would say go gold star because of the amazing views and space and food 🙂  The normal windows seem large...but when you look out the domed roof, WOOOOOW

• Like 1

If you are taking the train don't wait to book, especially if you are not spending an extra day in Seward.  Very popular.  We booked the gold star based on what I read here on CC.  I see you are going 2023.  Plenty of time!!

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

If you are taking the train don't wait to book, especially if you are not spending an extra day in Seward.  Very popular.  We booked the gold star based on what I read here on CC.  I see you are going 2023.  Plenty of time!!

I booked gold star this year and loved it, and now my parents want to come with next year, so I am patiently awaiting the ticket release this fall! Hahaha

23 hours ago, AKStafford said:
  • "We are looking at the train from Anchorage to Seward, pros/cons?"

The train is scenic and it gets you there. Using a one-way rental car would be expensive, but allow you to stop and sightsee along the way.

If you fly into Anchorage and the day before and take the early morning train offered by the Alaska Railroad, you'd have time for a Kenai Fjords cruise before boarding your ship.

Here's the local vendors at Icy Strait Point (Hoonah): http://visithoonah.com/experiences/ Another option for halibut fishing is to fly into Anchorage a couple of days before your cruise and fish out of Whittier or Seward.

What would we do with our luggage if we go to Seward, arrive by 11and then to the Kenai Fjords cruise?  Any suggested vendors for this?

18 hours ago, Kathscof said:

The Kenai fjords tour was WAY better than any whale watching or glacier viewing that we did during our cruise....in comparison, the things we did during the cruise were boring....

the train was amazing, I would say go gold star because of the amazing views and space and food 🙂  The normal windows seem large...but when you look out the domed roof, WOOOOOW

Thank you, Gold Star it is!

13 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Noted, thanks!

On 7/8/2022 at 1:38 PM, CStorm said:

What would we do with our luggage if we go to Seward, arrive by 11and then to the Kenai Fjords cruise?  Any suggested vendors for this?

From what I understand, you can check your luggage in Anchorage and they will deliver it to the cruise ship. Anyone else I have information on this?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, davela2 said:

From what I understand, you can check your luggage in Anchorage and they will deliver it to the cruise ship. Anyone else I have information on this?

At the Anchorage Depot your luggage maybe checked in a pavilion next to the depot -

The luggage will be transported by truck to your ship and be taken on board - placed

at your cabin door. This arrangement is in coordination with the cruise line and works

very well in eliminating extra handling of the luggage from point to point.

Some checked luggage maybe on board the Alaska RR Coastal Classic train and

would need to be claimed at the Seward Station if other arrangements have not been made.

This luggage checking service is at no cost to the guest passenger - it is a win-win for

both the cruise line - Alaska railroad and the guest.

You only take your carry on:

(Passport - boarding documents - cameras - cell phone - medicines and maybe a

change of clothing weather proof cover)

When you arrive at Seward you have about 5-6 block walk to the cruise terminal -

flat land but not paved all the way especially if taking a short cut.

Shuttles are provided for those that need. 

My partner and I walked it in less than 15 minutes - checked in and went right

on board for the party to begin.

Google Map for reference - the white rectangular building in the lower right corner

is the Cruise Terminal - in the upper left corner is the Alaska RR Seward Depot -

Zooom the map in and out for more or less detail - - - - -

Google Maps

• Like 1

For Juneau, the canoeing and kayaking trips are both wonderful.

Like others, I highly recommend the Kenai Fjord boat trip.  We have done it three times and it is an incredible experience.  Check out Major Marine and Seward Instagram pages.  If you do decide to spend the night in Seward, the Alaska Sea Life Centre is also worth a visit.

I’m not sure the luggage information posted above is correct . I have a feeling that description is for same day transfers from Anchorage to Seward.

The train depot is very close to the port, not 5-6 blocks.  There is a free shuttle (with room for luggage!) from the port into Seward that runs throughout the day and has several stops in Seward.

You can google Seward luggage storage and information will come up.  Major Marine also has a section about this on their website.

For Skagway, yes the round trip train is worth it.  No need to pay for VIP on this trip but do take some snacks.  Also dress in layers because they have wooden stoves in the train cars and it gets waaaaaay too hot!

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

For Juneau, the canoeing and kayaking trips are both wonderful.

Like others, I highly recommend the Kenai Fjord boat trip.  We have done it three times and it is an incredible experience.  Check out Major Marine and Seward Instagram pages.  If you do decide to spend the night in Seward, the Alaska Sea Life Centre is also worth a visit.

I’m not sure the luggage information posted above is correct . I have a feeling that description is for same day transfers from Anchorage to Seward.

The train depot is very close to the port, not 5-6 blocks.  There is a free shuttle (with room for luggage!) from the port into Seward that runs throughout the day and has several stops in Seward.

You can google Seward luggage storage and information will come up.  Major Marine also has a section about this on their website.

For Skagway, yes the round trip train is worth it.  No need to pay for VIP on this trip but do take some snacks.  Also dress in layers because they have wooden stoves in the train cars and it gets waaaaaay too hot!

The train depot is very close to the port, not 5-6 blocks.

The Google Map does not distort information.

The relevant distance (length) of the blocks maybe in question but a number is a number.

My reply was my personal experience September of 2019

Of note the cruise charter trains do not terminate at the Seward depot but at a siding within

a block of the Cruise Terminal - refer to the Google Map and locate Ferry Terminal road the

siding runs adjacent to that road 

• Like 1

We've done the Bering sea fishermen twice and loved it both times - I'm sure you will, too. I feel the same way about whale watching - I think we are going to try the dog sledding or the kayaking ... not sure yet.  And yes, the train is always a hit.  Haven't yet been to Seward ... so can't comment on that one!

20 hours ago, davela2 said:

The luggage people at the anchorage depot tag your luggage with where you are going.  I didn’t believe it, but when we checked our bags, they labeled it with our hotel, and the next time we saw them was when we checked in after our ididaride sled dog/city/glacier tour that night.  You could get your luggage after the train and do it yourself, but I think Seward does luggage VERY WELL.  We also checked our luggage the next morning at the Kenai Fjords tour office, and they delivered it to the ship.....it’s a normal thing in town.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:38 PM, CStorm said:

That is a popular thing, but when I was building my itinerary/spreadsheet for next year’s cruise, the sail away time was moved up an hour from 8pm to 7pm.  Our tour got done just before 5:30, and the last check in window ended at 5:30, even though the sail away was 2.5 hours later.  I thought it was strange that the last check in time was 2.5 hours before sail away, when the “last” time you need to be on board by seemed to be 6:30.  The port people had told the driver that it was really closing at 5:30, so I was glad that their shuttle got us there by then, even though there was a cruise ship train pulling in just as we got checked in.  

If that is the new time, the 6 hour tour ending at 5:30 might be stretching it, because you would need to be on board at that time.  The two companies (Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marine) also have shorter tours that end around 3:30/4pm if that interests you.  

When using the coordinated Alaska RR and Cruise ship luggage service - you use the

baggage/luggage checks provided by the cruise line or self printed ones and the

luggage then knows where on the ship it needs to go to your stateroom. No railway

check tags required. The system works perfectly - luggage that has lost its bag check

is taken to the ships lost and found awaiting your claiming.