Insect Repellant for Alaska Cruise

SeattleAl

Hi folks. Have a August Alaska cruise coming up. I haven't been to Alaska for decades, but know they are famous for mosquitos the size of birds (or, so the locals say). I don't expect any problems on the ship, but should I bring insect repellant for port days and excursions?

Thanks!

Mosquitos are usually bad in wooded areas. Am going up there next week for 5 weeks. My nephew who lives outside of Anchorage claims the bugs are bad this year. Also if you bring repellant on the plane it must be 3 oz. or less.

2 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

. Also if you bring repellant on the plane it must be 3 oz. or less.

You mean if you have it in your carryon. For checked bag, there isn’t a size limit, but best to avoid aerosol containers because of the pressure changes. But you can get wipes! Or q liquid pump bottle

Edited by rubytue

Hi!  I have cruised on 12 Alaskan cruises and have sailed in May, July and August.  Here in Vancouver if I’m out at dusk or camping or hiking I definitely need mosquito repellent.  In Alaska, I have never seen a mosquito nor been attacked by one.  Save the room in your luggage and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by YVRteacher

I have been in Alaska for the past two weeks. Mosquitoes are bad this year. They are big and hungry. I was in Fairbanks last week, Denali, then Anchorage. If there is no breeze, the mosquitoes are out and I need repellent.  Wipes take up no room in luggage and are not subject to the 3 oz rule if you are flying.

I would compare the Fairbanks mosquitoes to small hummingbirds.

If you don't like deet based repellent,  consider picariden. It's just as effective, but more expensive and harder to find (but worth the search.)

Outdoor stores and Amazon have picariden based products. 

I didn’t think the mosquitoes were that big when we were there two weeks ago. The long legged ones were are used to are bigger. These just fly around and bug you. We bought Alpenglow, an Alaska made product to use. But, make sure you rub your repellent on before wearing leggings. They bite through that material and our daughter was their target🦟🦟

Not sure why this is even a debate.  Bug spray is like trip insurance.  You might not need it, but then again, you might regret not bringing it.  Mosquitos are like Covid - some people get it multiple times, some have bad symptoms, others never get it or at least never know they got it.  It's all about risk tolerance - YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 5:46 PM, SeattleAl said:

Hi folks. Have a August Alaska cruise coming up. I haven't been to Alaska for decades, but know they are famous for mosquitos the size of birds (or, so the locals say). I don't expect any problems on the ship, but should I bring insect repellant for port days and excursions?

Thanks!

There are parts of AK where a shotgun might be useful for the mosquitos.  Or else you can invite my wife to come w you and pay her fare as she is the world's best mosquito attractant.  Every mosquito within a 1 mile radius of her will fly in to bite her and will ignore you.

Seriously.  We spent a few days inside of Denali on one trip and she had to wear her Australia bug net hat.  

DON

• Haha 1

I always pack insect repellent wipes.  Sometimes I use them, sometimes not.  This past summer, I used them on a couple of excursions—rainforest bike ride in Skagway, bear viewing tour in ISP, and hiking in Mendenhall Glacier National Park.

Wipes don’t take up much room so I’d rather be safe than sorry!