Testing, the lowdown.

Tillylovesseabourn

I have two fanily members sailing from Southampton to fjords quite soon. Both UK citizens, do they do their own LFT’s at home and register them online with govt website, or do they have to go to a physical location for a test prior to boarding? Thanks. 

Details are here 

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/at-the-terminal

They won't be able to use their own LFTs, they will need a test provider who will provide a result certificate.

This thread on the British Isles board has some information about testing

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2845111-covid-testing-information/

We did exactly as Lanky Lad. Anytime on the day before embarkation is acceptable. Test before breakfast and you should have your results before your last cup of coffee is drained. The ‘tech’ skills needed to install the app etc. aren’t too great but if not then a test at a local pharmacy. 
NB if you do opt for Randox then keep your order number handy. 

Edited by Ranchi

10 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

You don't need to have the test administered. You can buy a home test for travel that comes with a certificate. I did mine at 8am the day before I sailed and there were no issues at check in.

Can you share the details of who you used for this please LL?

2 hours ago, Ranchi said:

We did exactly as Lanky Lad. Anytime on the day before embarkation is acceptable. Test before breakfast and you should have your results before your last cup of coffee is drained. The ‘tech’ skills needed to install the app etc. aren’t too great but if not then a test at a local pharmacy. 
NB if you do opt for Randox then keep your order number handy. 

Apparently they don't want to you eat before the test at least an hour or two before the test. That is what Randox said to us when we tested.

58 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Apparently they don't want to you eat before the test at least an hour or two before the test. That is what Randox said to us when we tested.

Hence ‘before breakfast’.

Thanks for adding the link to the other thread HH. I have just ordered a test for my trip in August. £14.99 from Boots. I know other major chemists also sell them for about the same price.

As has been said, you are not supposed to eat or drink an hour before the test so I did the test as soon as I got up then had breakfast whilst waiting for the result.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Thanks Lanky Lad, pleased to hear the photo test is acceptable for Cunard.

You're welcome.

Once you take the picture and send it off, you will get an email to say your certificate is ready to download. I think it took a couple of hours which was pretty good as it was a Saturday.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

LL, not the best on a computer, is it just a case of uploading a pic or is there more to it? Thanks 

When you order the test you have to create and account and register your details. Including passport info.

To upload the results you will need a smart phone but you get clear instructions. Once you log into the system it talks you through what to do.

13 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Thanks, Ah, i have an ipad, so was hoping i could use that and print off certificate? 

You should be OK with an iPad as it will let you log onto the system and take the necessary pictures.

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

Can this same test be bought at Boots once we’re in the UK or is it online order only?  Thanks 

Sadly you have to book online and get it delivered to your home. If all else fails there is or was in May a test centre near the Mayflower terminal that does walk in tests.

Does testing happen when onboard? Im curious about people who test positive and get quarantined - what are the circumstances that led to them being tested in the first place - is it only when showing symptoms or are there other testing points during a cruise?

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

Does testing happen when onboard? Im curious about people who test positive and get quarantined - what are the circumstances that led to them being tested in the first place - is it only when showing symptoms or are there other testing points during a cruise?

It all depends. For US cruises or US bound cruises CDC can mandate tests at any point through the journey, if their COVID threshold is met. For all other cruises I think they mostly go on symptoms or close contact possibly? 

Our QM2 cruise started in Brooklyn, to Southampton, on to Norway, back to Southampton and home to Brooklyn.  Passengers staying on the ship past Southampton were tested on the 6th day.  Then after the Norway trip,  tested again on the day before Southampton…..if staying on.

I remember it well as I tested positive on day 6 of our 21 night trip and spent 10 nights in isolation before returning to real life for our last 5 days into Brooklyn.  (Yes, I missed every port!)

I had no symptoms.  My husband, a close contact, was tested every day for 5 days and remained negative so he was not quarantined.

Barbara M.  

13 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Either if you show covid signs and go to the medical centre yourself or if someone grasses on you and you get summoned to the medical centre. As it stands no test is needed to enter UK/US so far as I am aware. And I don't think any tests are needed for the Fijords sailings either not too sure about Hamburg.

9 hours ago, Avery's Gram said:

Our QM2 cruise started in Brooklyn, to Southampton, on to Norway, back to Southampton and home to Brooklyn.  Passengers staying on the ship past Southampton were tested on the 6th day.  Then after the Norway trip,  tested again on the day before Southampton…..if staying on.

I remember it well as I tested positive on day 6 of our 21 night trip and spent 10 nights in isolation before returning to real life for our last 5 days into Brooklyn.  (Yes, I missed every port!)

I had no symptoms.  My husband, a close contact, was tested every day for 5 days and remained negative so he was not quarantined.

Barbara M.  

So there is B2B testing. I didn't think there was any. Did they give up option to get off in Southampton?

Edited by ace2542