In Alaska's Wildest Kitchen: Thoughts?

cruisetorelax44

When we're in Icy Strait Point, my friends are doing the zipliner. I will 100% not be doing that. 🤣🤣🤣 

I booked the wildest kitchen excursion,  because I like to cook, but some reviews are pretty negative. Anyone have an experience they'd like to share? I still have time to change to the mountain tram to check out the scenery....

I was the same. 100% not doing the zip line. We booked the ATV excursion, and while fun, was too slow and plodding for my tastes. Every time the guide tried to speed it up, the elderly participants complained. (Granted, I’m no spring chicken but I like to have adventures!) If I was ever there again, No, I still wouldn’t do the zip line, but maybe the tram…or I would give the wildest kitchen a try. Look at it this way…even if it’s not totally what you expect it will probably still be fun…and you’re cooking IN ALASKA!!! Do whatever you feel like doing and enjoy every moment!!!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

I was the same. 100% not doing the zip line. We booked the ATV excursion, and while fun, was too slow and plodding for my tastes. Every time the guide tried to speed it up, the elderly participants complained. (Granted, I’m no spring chicken but I like to have adventures!) If I was ever there again, No, I still wouldn’t do the zip line, but maybe the tram…or I would give the wildest kitchen a try. Look at it this way…even if it’s not totally what you expect it will probably still be fun…and you’re cooking IN ALASKA!!! Do whatever you feel like doing and enjoy every moment!!!

I don't mean to hijack your thread @cruisetorelax44, sorry.

@Jacobs Ema, you mentioned the tram and I see it mentioned in the FAQ section of the ISP website, but no other mention of it anywhere!  We don't have an excursion booked for this port and this sounds like something that DH would enjoy.  Is this something that is only booked at the port?  If so, where do you go for tickets?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

I don't mean to hijack your thread @cruisetorelax44, sorry.

@Jacobs Ema, you mentioned the tram and I see it mentioned in the FAQ section of the ISP website, but no other mention of it anywhere!  We don't have an excursion booked for this port and this sounds like something that DH would enjoy.  Is this something that is only booked at the port?  If so, where do you go for tickets?

I do know that NCL owns it. Last time I checked, it seemed pretty expensive, but I think it is free for NCL cruisers.

The tram (gondola) that goes up the mountain at Icy Strait Point is $49.  This price gives you full day access and you can go up and down as many times as you like.  It’s fun and the scenery is gorgeous up top.364C4E27-0AF9-4269-AFF2-A6EC049BFFC1.thumb.jpeg.0edcb10de540a15b286281dcb7e96d47.jpeg

059C2B1B-CD32-426C-B979-E799618DDACE.jpeg

B06E28CB-170A-4354-AE8A-8DB65367F1D1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to Wildest Kitchen- I would be interested in any reviews from people who have done it. We are whale watching in the afternoon and wondering if we should sign up for the kitchen.The Hoonan excursion does not get great reviews, and that is about our only other choice. The gondola looks interesting but wouldn't reserve it til we were there and knew what the weather was- a cold foggy rainy trip up the mountain doesn't sound like fun. We will take the other gondola from the ship into the excursion centre. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the confusion is that there are TWO trams... one is Free and just runs from one side of peninsula to other, through the forest.  The other tram goes UP the mountain and it is the one that charges.  That is the one that goes up to the zipline and hiking trail on top of mountain and there is no other way to get up there.  If you buy the zipline ticket it includes the tram ticket, too.