Alcohol question

Vitamin_Sea

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You can get bottles of liquor on-board two different ways:

From the "Duty Free" Fun Shop, to take home with you at the end of the cruise.  Relatively cheap ("Duty Free").

From the (online pre-cruise and I guess during the cruise?) "Fun Shops", to be delivered to your cabin to enjoy during the cruise.  This is relatively expensive - about $80-100 for a what I guess is a 750ml bottle of hard liquor.  You can browse products/prices here:

https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages?q=:price-asc:category:liquor&sort=price-asc&page=0

WOW!

I was expecting expensive and over priced, but this is black market prices!

I will probably buy a bottle anyway. But now I feel less bad about trying to smuggle some liquor in.

1 hour ago, cableguynoe said:

WOW!

I was expecting expensive and over priced, but this is black market prices!

I will probably buy a bottle anyway. But now I feel less bad about trying to smuggle some liquor in.

It's cheaper than paying per shot at the bar, which is the alternative.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 5:22 AM, sparks1093 said:

The easiest thing to do is to buy a bottle from the online Fun Shops for the cabin. It is pricey but by the time you add up buying the containers and then buying the alcohol to put in them you aren't really saving much over the cost of the bottle and with buying the bottle you will know it's there. As I understand it liquor not in an original bottle is confiscated and destroyed, but you would also be called to the "naughty room" so they can open your bag in your presence. The thought of having to stand in a line wasting vacation time when I don't have to is what keeps me from even thinking about it.

I was not called to a naughty room.  My suitcase was delivered in disarray with a note inside (minus my attempted contraband), but I was spared any further embarrassment.  🤡  Lessons learned that day!

• Like 2

So on our first cruise post pandemic we had legally purchased our allowed 2 bottles of wine at the local convenience store.  But I must have been out of practice because I erroneously placed them in my roller bag rather than in my duffel.  Well, arrive at the port, hand my roller to the porter as I routinely do and proceed into the terminal.  CRAP, I'm such an idiot!  Oh well.

That roller bag arrived at our stateroom no problem.  Thanks for the courtesy fellas!

On 7/13/2022 at 8:15 AM, ledges1 said:

When in port, buy two bottles and ask the store to pack separately. Put in your back pack. When you get back on ship and they say take you liquor to the check in table, reach in you pack and give them one bottle to check, leave the other in your pack. 

Remember the real men of genius commercials? Well, this fits that. Whether you’re a dude or not. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And it doesn't count against your 15 drinks a day.🙂

THIS!!!

On sea days, 15 drinks might not get me to dinner. And I wont even be drunk. 

I'm a big guy. 2-3 to get me started at lunch, and 15 will come quick over the next 4-5 hours.

Of course after dinner is when I'll want to hit it hard.

So I have a huge problem with the 15 rule. Not that 15 is that limit on the package, but that they won't let me purchase past that point.

So anything I can get in my room will help the cause.

13 hours ago, cableguynoe said:

THIS!!!

On sea days, 15 drinks might not get me to dinner. And I wont even be drunk. 

I'm a big guy. 2-3 to get me started at lunch, and 15 will come quick over the next 4-5 hours.

Of course after dinner is when I'll want to hit it hard.

So I have a huge problem with the 15 rule. Not that 15 is that limit on the package, but that they won't let me purchase past that point.

So anything I can get in my room will help the cause.

Well, the 15 drink limit applies to all alcohol, not just Cheers. I have seen bartenders override this on the computer so I believe it's a "soft" limit, so as long as you don't appear too drunk they can still serve you. Other than what I've witnessed I have no evidence that this is so, but I would think if the limit were a hard and fast one they wouldn't be able to override the system at all. Anyway, for us the main reason to have the bottle in the cabin is so we can have a few drinks before turning in usually while sitting on the balcony.