Voyage of the Vikings Blog

esther e

Captain says more people coming out of Q than going in. However 70 new passengers boarded in Rotterdam and we just received this letter the day before Ireland. So even those that are out of quarantine may not go ashore in this port. 20220728_083930.thumb.jpg.e086abd492dfdf328c8ab1db37c19d75.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow- had not heard about that latest rule about people who had been quarantined not being allowed to go ashore for 11 days.

We are at anchor this morning off Dun Loaghaire. Cloudy and mid 60’s but the seas are pretty calm. Looks like a fairly long tender ride. The Captain said he could anchor closer in but he is not allowed. Also have heard that the reason we cannot dock at the previous port in Dublin is that the new owner is allowing more commercial ships so no cruise ships. It used to be so easy to get the ship’s bus to Merrion Square Park and walk everywhere you wanted to go. Things change- sometimes not for the better.

Sea day tomorrow and then Scrabster, Scotland on Saturday. Really needing to check what day it is after being on the ship so long! Joke is we all need the rugs in the elevator now with the day on them!

We are docking in Scrabster and then there is a cruise bus available to the town nearby- Thurso. There are a few tours but the Royals are in town so no castle tours. Darn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2022 at 11:33 AM, REOVA said:

I personally counted red dots a few days ago (except for the few cabins originally restricted and closed off) and there are about 60 cabins in quarantine, including mine now. I am negative but wife positive so both need to stay in until she is negative so might be 1 per cabin infected. I doubt that 200 people are infected unless possibly counting crew or those already negative and released. Not everyone is wearing masks ("I forgot it in my room") nor washing hands even though the Purell machines now have staff reminding passengers. Not all passengers are calling if symptomatic as they dont want to get tested, even those who are hacking on tour busses or in World Stage.  Unfortunately the crew cannot force people to follow the rules which is probably why those of us who wear mask and wash hands consistently are not allowed out of cabin if mate is positive. They are doing  what they can but short staffed means many are working long hours and trying to get things under control. Today (Sunday) Captain said we are still moving in right direction but would not give numbers in and out. 

Not all passengers are calling if symptomatic as they dont want to get tested, even those who are hacking on tour busses or in World Stage

NOTE:  not all who are “hacking on tour busses or in World Stage” have Covid.  Other conditions cause hacking coughs!  My spouse happens to have at least two of those conditions. And, oh by the way, we’re wearing our masks and washing our hands.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, travelers07 said:

Wow- had not heard about that latest rule about people who had been quarantined not being allowed to go ashore for 11 days.

We are at anchor this morning off Dun Loaghaire. Cloudy and mid 60’s but the seas are pretty calm. Looks like a fairly long tender ride. The Captain said he could anchor closer in but he is not allowed. Also have heard that the reason we cannot dock at the previous port in Dublin is that the new owner is allowing more commercial ships so no cruise ships. It used to be so easy to get the ship’s bus to Merrion Square Park and walk everywhere you wanted to go. Things change- sometimes not for the better.

Sea day tomorrow and then Scrabster, Scotland on Saturday. Really needing to check what day it is after being on the ship so long! Joke is we all need the rugs in the elevator now with the day on them!

We are docking in Scrabster and then there is a cruise bus available to the town nearby- Thurso. There are a few tours but the Royals are in town so no castle tours. Darn. 

The Rule was only from Dun Laoghaire authorities requiring 11 days from when first tested positive. Tender was easy and not too long today. Walked around Dun Laoghaire before Taste of Dublin afternoon tour which was excellent. The Royals are at Castle Mey which is cancelled but Dunrobin castle tour was still available when Castle of Mey cancelled. Much further. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 6:36 AM, travelers07 said:

Wow- you sound very prepared. I will say that for me that might be a little warm. In Reykjavik, I wore a nylon undershirt, a light cotton shirt, and a quilted vest. I found I was very warm and even took off the under layer when I stopped at a lovely restroom in the concert hall. It was probably 50’s and humid. But I don’t want to discourage you with your planned layers. And something waterproof is a good idea. We have been lucky with no rain but it has been predicted most days.

We traveled to Iceland in July a few years back and what I found was that the wind was the issue, not particularly the temperature but very, very windy. I remember wearing a quilted coat with a hood and scarf.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, silversneakers said:

what I found was that the wind was the issue, not particularly the temperature but very, very windy

Yes!  Visiting the site of the tectonic plates division, the wind was so strong that the rain was horizontal.  I needed "windshield wipers" on my glasses to really appreciate what I was seeing.  And, one hand was always on my hat.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

...the wind was so strong that the rain was horizontal.  I needed "windshield wipers" on my glasses to really appreciate what I was seeing.  And, one hand was always on my hat.  

I very specifically packed a sun hat with a cord that goes under my chin for our upcoming voyage that visits Iceland, and a waterproof hat that fits quite snugly, because most of my hats are looser.   👒 We had weather like you describe on our Golden Circle tour years ago, but not when we walked through the gap between the plates. It hit us like that on the stairs at the waterfall. They've MUCH improved those steps since my first slippery visit.

Batten down the HATches! (Joke too awful?) 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, willoL said:

I very specifically packed a sun hat with a cord that goes under my chin for our upcoming voyage that visits Iceland

I didn't have my Tilley hat with me on this cruise.  Sun hat needed? No.  But, that cord would have been most appreciated that day.  

• Like 1

Seydisfjordur Iceland

We were supposed to sail up the fjord to this town and arrive at 10 am.  We had a medical so they just brought the ship in while we slept.  Pretty disappointing however we look forward to the sail out this evening.  There are so many waterfalls!  Everywhere you look you see them cascading down each crack.  In the highlands you can see the glaciers that are making the waterfalls.  The landscape here is gorgeous.  So many different colors of green.  The town is small with no more than 700 residents.  There use to be a naval base here that you can still see the old machinery.  They say on the sail out we will pass an old abandon airfield.  It will probably be port side.  🙃 It’s a completely different world.  It’s Monday and yet the town is sleeping.  This may be because the light of day lasts so long.  I did find a lovely little shop on the main drag that was adorable.  I hope others find it too.  We walked town and took a lot of pictures.  It truly is beautiful.

We did a tour in Akureyri to the Godofoss falls which was beautiful.  The coach ride was about an hour.  It was nice to get out of the coach.  Next we stopped at Lake Myvan which is huge.  We drive around the lake and had wonderful views the whole way.  

When we reached the Lava Labyrinth we did a 20 minute walk then had lunch.  The walks at the scenic place are moderate so be informed.  Usually the bus dropped us off at one point and picked us up at another spot so there is an option to stay in the bus.  The lunch was good!  Thai Coconut soup with rolls and butter.  Then arctic fish (their ‘trout’) was very good with potatoes and small salad.  Water and coffee was available.  The lines to the bathrooms were long and you had to use a ticket (given to us by the guide or your credit card.) The lines were also long to purchase items at the shop.  We headed over to the mud pots and I have to say it was like we were in a new world when we came over the mountains.  It was amazing.  So was the bubbling mud.  The landscape went from green green to brown tan.  Such a difference and way cool!  No faculties are available at the mud pots so plan accordingly.  The ride back to the ship was an hour and half ish.  We had 20 minutes before all aboard.  The ship sailed out of the fjord at cruising speed.

Our last day in Iceland at Isafjordur was another cute town.  We were docked which was lovely.  The landscape is much the same here with waterfalls everywhere.

We docked everywhere in Iceland. 

The sail out of the fjord was beautiful.  The landscape is pretty crazy.  You can see the calderas from the volcanos that created Iceland.  It is all volcanos and sits on the two tectonic plates that are pulling apart.  Amazing and so interesting.

Again…..port side!  I can’t stress that enough.  Port side! 🙃

Keep in mind that the darkest it gets this time of year is twilight.  Rain is forecast most days but my experience has been light drizzle except here in Isafjourdur where it rained on and off all day. The weather is only controlled by Mother Nature so I and the cruise line are also along for the ride. 

Couple comments:

There are waterfalls everywhere!  Each crack has water flowing. It is magnificent.
Watch the landscape as you can see where the ground heaved during an event either earthquake or volcano eruption.  

The weather is cool.  Wear layers. 

The people are very friendly and helpful.  Wear good shoes.  
Besides port side…..enjoy! 😎🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1